What was your first guitar????

woody b

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To Hockey Music guy...I did'nt get the feeling anybody was attacking you personally - age, experience etc. You young dudes are the future in this aspect of life as in others. So relax and start earning your keep by buying guitars off us "old dudes", or I swear, I'm gonna tell your Dad!

greystoke

• Members

What was your first guitar? >Cort Tele Style Red Paisley Finish (kinda strange but it looked sweet)

How old were you? > 15

Do you still have it? > No, i left it at a girls house i was living with, after i moved out. 2 months later i came back to get it and she had sold it to her new boyfriend!!

How did you get it? > Girlfreind gave it as a christmas gift (not the same girlfriend who gaffled me and sold it!!)

How old are you now? > 30

• Members

I don't remember the first one, that was way too long ago. It was some cheapo 3/4 size student guitar that my parents gave me when I was about six or seven. I do, however, remember the second one. A Yamaha G-50A classical. After well over 30 years I still have it and still play it.

The Preacher

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Crap!...I hate answering questions like this 'cause of the memories of great guitars that have slipped by! Sigh..Anyway, MY 1st? - A Martin classical like W. Nelson's that came to me with all steel strings. I paid 25.00 $ for it in '68 but the neck was so bowed you could throw it hard and it would return to you. I did'nt know 'dick' so I sold it for 50.00$ and felt lucky. 1st serious guitar was a Harmony archtop acoustic [tailpiece/wooden bridge] that had a 'God-Awful' dark sunburst finish that I immediately stripped and varnished in "Au Naturel". Bought it for 15.00$ and sold it for 35.00$ Oh yeah! I was a "Guitar Maven" was'nt I? Well, I got hooked and unfortunitely, I hav'nt quite gotten those returns on investments lately [% wise] but I have never lost money on the only thing I can say that about!

Greystoke

• Members

My first guitar was a cheap Sears Silvertone acoustic---I think I paid $35 for it. This was in 1970 when I was 12 years old. At the time, I was very involved in my school's band program, and my parents had spent thousands on high-dollar brass instruments for me. They had high expectations of me becoming a "real" musician, playing with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra or somesuch.....but these were the days of sex, drugs and rock&roll, and I had other plans.

That guitar is now owned by a friend of mine whose son started on it and has gone on to become a pretty decent guitarist. I still play it every once in a while when I visit her. Lots o' good memories in that old piece of fruitwood.

I'm 45 now, if that means anything. I own about 25 acoustic instruments & about 15 electric ones. Don't play out anymore (I'm in a wheelchair), but I supplement my military disability benefits by building & repairing guitars.

• Members

my first guitar was an epiphone pr200 i bought for about $200 with some of the money i got from high school graduation. it wasn't a bad guitar actually. decent sound and playability on mine.

it is no longer with me, although i sometimes wish i would've kept it.

i can't remember if i traded it or sold it or what, that's been a long time ago and i've been through quite a few guitars since then.

• Members

First guitar> An "Ernie and Friends" model "Baby's first guitar"

How old were you> 1

Do you still have it> Alas, no.

How did you get it> Christmas present from Grandma, who thought it would be cute since both my parents play. There are some fine pictures of me rocking out with that guitar in my living room, diaper and all

How old are you now> 29

• Members

I got a 3/4 sized plywood guitar for Christmas when I was 8 (I'm 40 now). It came with an instruction book that had some chord frames and some songs....I just devoured it. I played it every day for as long as I could until my fingertips hurt too badly to continue.

I sometimes wonder how different my life would have been if I had never picked it up.

Brent

• Members

What was your first guitar? > Teisco Electric from K-Mart, it was the best guitar they had $59.00 (Strat copy)

How old were you? > 14 years old (1972)

Do you still have it? > No

How did you get it? > Birthday present

How old are you now? > 45

3 years later (1975) I got a '71 SG Special which I still have. I would part with it if I got what I have invested in it. It's more of a kid's guitar in scale and tone. I finally outgrew it about 10 years ago.

• Members

First guitar

-Black Kay archtop from "god only knows" when .

How did I get it-My dad brought it home one day , I think he paid $20 for it from some guy in the pub. I was 18 (1973) .

Still have it ? -Long gone , and again G.O.K. I had never played and arch top was an apt description but it got my going.Too bad I wish I had it today .

When I left home I sold my 8 track recorder ( stop laughing!!) and about 100 tapes to my buddy for $150 so I could buy a REAL guitar , Ariana .On this one the strings were only about 1/2 inch off the neck so you could almost play it .Also long gone ??

and now I'm 48

• Members

What was your first guitar?

Epiphone SG. The nice one with the set neck and smaller pickguard.

How old were you?

Probably around 12.

Do you still have it?

Sadly, no. I sold it to a good friend, then he airbrushed a turtle onto it.

How did you get it?

Bought it with 85% my own money from paper route and shoveling/mowing. The other money came from grandma as a birthday present.

How old are you now?

• Members

First box was a Kay and then a Silvertone electric with the amp in the case. Then I got a Blue Fender Mustang and a Silvertone amp 2/12's I believe with the head that slid under the speakers. I had an old Baldwyn amp that had push buttons on it, quite strange. My dad showed up at band practice one day with the Mustang and Silvertone, oh my gawd I was a big-shot. I was 14 yrs old and that was in 1965, whoa!

cf

• Members

What was your first guitar? >Harmony archtop with single HB, cherry red--looked great, strings way high off fretboard...

How old were you? > 17

Do you still have it? > No, began a steady chain of trade-ups

How did you get it? > Purchased it new

How old are you now? > 51

I just have two regrets regarding formerly owned instruments: I traded a great semi-hollow (think it was a Japanese Noble) for a Suzuki acoustic in early seventies; and held onto the Suzuki for more than twenty years when I should have gotten something better and more playable.

dv

• Members

What was your first guitar? >80's Kramer Strat copy (focus?)

How old were you? > 12 years old (1992)

Do you still have it? > no, and I don't miss it

How did you get it? > Mom bought it for me

How old are you now? > 23

• Members

What was your first guitar? > 1989(or so) Alvarez-Yairi DY-28 Some type of anniversary issue

How old were you? > 19 years old (1996)

Do you still have it? > Unfortunately, no

How did you get it? > Bought from pawn shop

How old are you now? > 26

It was a really nice guitar, I think I paid around $240 for it. It was actually worth more if I remember correctly because it was an anniversary issue. Anyways, I ended up selling it to a friend for some stupid reason. Oh, I remember she wanted to learn how to play and she had nice titties. I now own a 70's model Aria and a Takamine A/E and other electric stuff. I need to look up that girl and see if she still has it, I'd like to get it back.

-Dave

• Members

What was your first guitar? > Peavey Raptor (Strat copy)

How old were you? > 13

Do you still have it? > No

How did you get it? > Mom bought it for my birthday

How old are you now? > 19

I kinda asked for a guitar just out of the blue one year for my birthday and I can honestly say that it changed my life. My mom's side of the family is very musical and she helped "nurture" my musical adventures. I played that guitar for about a year until my mom bought me a Lone Star Strat and a Fender SS amp :D

I sold the Peavey guitar and amp to some kid at my school, who sold it for $1 to someone else that I didn't know. I'm glad I got some money out of it; I mean...it's just a guitar :o

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

This is rather embarrassing, but what can I say, I was a kid at the time; all of 15. My first guitar was a no name classical that I had bought with a friend. Our objective was not to play, but to impress girls. That

• Members

I learned to play on a left handed 12 string (as a right handed person). I learned all my chords upside down and played like that for 6 months or so. Then my mum bought me a Framus Classical guitar (right handed) in 1967. It only took a few weeks to figure out how to adapt to the right handed chords - heh.

Archived