Cavity shielding

G33Z3R

• Members

Online, they say that is just being a negative instigator. I say psychic predator.

John, in your case, that would be psychotic predator:poke: And nobody but you is deliberately trying to piss people off. Yes, I think you're a troll. By internet definition, I'm not even close. BTW I keep in contact with Soldier & Katillac. They aren't around here anymore. You a$$hole, you chased them off. Thanks for ruining HCDIY. Don't go away mad. Just go the {censored} away.:cop:

• Members

John, in your case, that would be
psychotic
predator:poke: And nobody but you is deliberately trying to piss people off. Yes, I think you're a troll. By internet definition, I'm not even close. BTW I keep in contact with Soldier & Katillac. They aren't around here anymore. You a$$hole, you chased them off. Thanks for ruining HCDIY. Don't go away mad. Just go the {censored} away.
:cop:

That really sucks. I miss those two.

• Members

That really sucks. I miss those two.

But Isaac doesn't feel a need to do anything about him. Even though we have sound evidence of John being a troll. At this point I really don't care if I get the ban hammer. John Watt is a ! There. I said it.:mad::mad:

Edited by moderator.

• Members

BACK TO THE POINT NOW. We use aluminum shielding tape in our comtrol cavity and covers. Sticky tape readily found in the HVAC section of any home improvement store. Works great for us and Leo Fender used aluminum as well, so it must work ok:thu:

• Members

All amp chassis are made of metal for shielding. The wire to the guitar has shielding around the signal wire and all components inside the guitar need to shield the signal wires. The higher quality the shielding, the less EMF can penitrate and ne amplified. When you hands touch the strings it too becomes a barrier helping to absorb EMF that drains away through the guitar/amp grounding.

Back in my amature radio days, I had a room in the basement coverd in foil to block out stray EMF so it wouldnt interefere with DXing weak shortwave stations.

• Members

All amp chassis are made of metal for shielding. The wire to the guitar has shielding around the signal wire and all components inside the guitar need to shield the signal wires. The higher quality the shielding, the less EMF can penitrate and ne amplified. When you hands touch the strings it too becomes a barrier helping to absorb EMF that drains away through the guitar/amp grounding.

Back in my amature radio days, I had a room in the basement coverd in foil to block out stray EMF so it wouldnt interefere with DXing weak shortwave stations.

I wonder if plain ol' guitar wire would work on the pups themselves. I have busted guitar cords that I haven't thrown away due to incurable pack rat syndrome. DIY and pack rat syndrome seem to be bosom buddies

I also noticed the difference in noise when I put a piece of metal under my amp in it's wooden case. EMF greatly reduced.

• Moderators

Could. By plain ol' guitar wire, I assume you mean guitar cords, co-ax, one center conductor and shield. That would work, but not if you do any phase switching on the pickups. The last thing you want to do is make the shield the hot lead!

• Members

I have an old home with aluminum wiring. The home has had all sorts of intermittent electrical problems. One of the problems with aluminum wiring is that the aluminum readily forms a non conductive oxide on its surface. The non conductive oxide causes faulty electrical connections over time. For that reason, I use copper to shield my guitars. Copper foil is copper foil is copper foil. You need not get it from a musical instrument supply house. Incidentally, the snails climbed over the copper tape and devoured my garden.

• Members

I have an old home with aluminum wiring. The home has had all sorts of intermittent electrical problems. One of the problems with aluminum wiring is that the aluminum readily forms a non conductive oxide on its surface. The non conductive oxide causes faulty electrical connections over time. For that reason, I use copper to shield my guitars. Copper foil is copper foil is copper foil. You need not get it from a musical instrument supply house. Incidentally, the snails climbed over the copper tape and devoured my garden.

They allowed that alluminum wire to pass code in homes and it was a big mistake. I wouldnt be surprised it isnt the cause of many home fires when the lines overloaded if not bad connections you mention.

• Members

They allowed that alluminum wire to pass code in homes and it was a big mistake. I wouldnt be surprised it isnt the cause of many home fires when the lines overloaded if not bad connections you mention.

??? The power companies are, as we speak, replacing all the copper supply lines across the country with aluminum. Copper corrodes at a faster rate than aluminum if it is left bare. In the use we speak of here, as guitar shielding, I don't see either copper or aluminum being better than the other, as niether is left out to the elements in a guitar body. Both are far better than shielding paint IMO.

Archived