Adding to the debate

Jerry NT

• Members

The main reason I use Elixers is because they don't give near the noise when I move across the fretboard.

I don't like the brassy sound of the newer bronze strings, but amazingly they do sound good on my old Gibson. (I suppose it's because it is a mellow guitar to start off with.) But not good on my 000-C16.

So, is there any other string that cuts down on the squeak? I like the sound of Martin Silk and Steel, if that adds to the equation.

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

WAY better than FingerEase.

I use FingerEase. Of course then you have those that insists that it ruins the fret board.

It does not do near the job of Polywebs.

I do a lot of sliding. It is hard to run down the neck and keep your place with complex chords.

• Members

Originally posted by Jerry NT

I use FingerEase.

I do a lot of sliding.

I tried mineral oil, just a tiny bit on the tips of my fingers, don't remember if I liked the results or not. I think the reason I tried it was because I heard FingerEase was bad for the f/b.

(ha-ha) I run my fingers through my hair before playing these days, works good. No kidding.

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

I find that if I eat some greasy pizza with sausage before playing it cuts the squeak out entirely and works great as string lube.

WAY better than FingerEase.

I prefer the greasy tone over Elixers any day.

I have tried this myself and found it to be extremely effective in reducing string squeak. Additionally, the inclusion of sausage on the pizza means that all four food groups are represented and thus the fretboard is well nourished. The only drawback I've found is that when I use this method for live play, I've been told by people in the audience that they find themselves growing curiously hungry during my songs and have been impelled to run out for a slice...

• Members

just tonight i pulled the best trick in the book... but not to reduce string noise... i love string noise... i was about to start a song that is almost constant sliding chords and my fingers were getting abused... i just grabbed my nose for a sec, rubbed my fingertips together... viola... and nobody would ever notice.

• Members

Spanning a few threads in here today, I've seen suggestions to spit on fretboards, eat sausage-laden pizza prior to playing and use nose oil as a fret-hand lubricant. Not to mention the mysterious case of the bloody guitar.

I think I'm going to patent a Guitar Smock.

• Members

So as I see it, from your replies, my options are as follows:

1. Eat pizza before the performance, and do not wash my hands.
2. Eat Braunschwieger before I play, and again, do not wash my hands.
3. Use "greasy kids' stuff" on my hair, rub my finger through them. Again, do not wash my hands. (That greasy kids' stuff remark will date me as having watched TV in the 60's).
4. Pick my nose before playing. Again, do not wash my hands.
OR
5. Use Elixer Polywebs. And washing my hands is optional.

:D

(By the way, are brats acceptable? What about hot links?)

• Members
Originally posted by Cldplytkmn

just tonight i pulled the best trick in the book... but not to reduce string noise... i love string noise... i was about to start a song that is almost constant sliding chords and my fingers were getting abused... i just grabbed my nose for a sec, rubbed my fingertips together... viola... and nobody would ever notice.

Isn't that good for throwing an effective curveball too? :confused:

;)

:p

• Members

• Members

he's talking about the top of your nose, just under the bridge between your eyes, not picking your nose ew. theres a lot of grease buildup there, as well as on your forehead.

we do that too in classical cello, when we have to make some big slides and play pieces with a lot of shifting. its a common practice actually, to rub the top of your nose and then spread the grease over your strings.

• Members

Originally posted by ddlingling

we do that too in classical cello, when we have to make some big slides and play pieces with a lot of shifting. its a common practice actually, to rub the top of your nose and then spread the grease over your strings.

And he said it was "greasy kid stuff".

Lately I've been bringing a jar of mayonaise to the gig...

Archived