What do you do when your fingers hurt?

Misha

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

oh i remember the old days when my fingers would hurt so bad and bleed.granted i was playing a guitar from a jc penny catalogue.anyway 10 yrs later they dont hurt anymore.think of the pain as paying your dues and it is SOOOOOOOOO WORTH IT.guitar is the most rewarding thing.each time you learn something new.good luck.oh i got these therapy gloves from bath and body works with a special lotion and i find it to be really soothing after i have a 12 string jam.12 strings still hurt a little sometimes.and the lotion has not made my callouses go away.i think at this point they are permanent.they would peel away alot in the beginning.

• Members
lalatingstrings wrote:

think of the pain as paying your dues and it is SOOOOOOOOO WORTH IT

Yeah! I really like my two guitars!!!

So great to have a hobby like that!

And now that I have the electric, when it hurts too much with the acoustic I switch to the other one! :cool::D:p

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You're all dancing around the REAL solution-- and the LEGITIMATE excuse for G.A.S.

It took me 30 years of sore fingers to realize that playing different kinds of guitars will help preserve your digits.

Nylon strings are the best bet, but other axes with different necks, actions and strings will also minutely relocate the "sweet spot" when a string becomes one of those wire cheese slicers.

A 12 string really changes the impact area on your calluses. I also keep my Mitchell 12 string acoustic tuned down 2 whole steps. The guitar and my fingers both appreciate this.

Electrics, basses,, baritones, ukeleles, guitarrons, mandolins, etc. can all ease your pain.

People who believe the old wives tale that baseball players should never play softball won't want to try other kinds of instruments. But, as I mentioned to my wife, sore fingers can be a legitmate excuse for G.A.S.

Too bad my wife doesn't buy all this . . .

• Members

Yes it's true! And a classical is already in my mind! (I have a lot of things in my mind...) ;) Maybe a La Patrie Etude in a few months ???

I still love my acoustic even if I own a nice electric + a cool Roland Micro Cube. I play a lot with both everyday!

They are both sounding very good. They just sound different!

• Members

Ignore all the macho crap that guitar players usually use. If you play till you bleed, you will have to heal or you will tear up the skin even more. These slight injuries are your bodies way of saying, "hey, chill out, slow down, we need to get used to this.

I suggest either keeping the same amount of practice time but doing it every other day or reducing the practice time until your finger tips get that rock hard covering.

By the way, every once in a while, I mess around with the bass. I use my thumb alot, and almost everytime, within about 30 minutes I start to get a blister. Putting a little bit of super glue on the spot before I play, helps me last longer. It will wear off in a bit, but does work a bit like an extra layer of skin.

• Members
Andrewrg wrote:

Misha,to keep your callouses from softening,avoid putting your hands in anything containing detergent-wash up liquid,shampoo,bath oils etc.You wont smell so great but your callouses will stay hard!

LOL :D;)

• Members

I've never met Misha, but I think it's in the best interests of her friends and family that we not steer her away from shampoo, soap and laundry detergent! :eek:

Besides.. someday you might get a chance to meet her. What then?!?

Seriously, I've never had my callouses soften appreciably from personal hygiene, washing clothes or dishes, etc. Besides, my wife wouldn't stand for me trying to say otherwise, so the point is moot. ;) "Gee, sorry honey. I can't do dishes because my guitar callouses will soften!" :D

• Members

Fingers hurting from increased playing ( or being new at the guitar ), changing string type, or changing your guitar is normal, their just getting use to the change- just dont play to the point that their bleeding ( had a friendthat did this, he played for 8-10 hours a day-told him to go down a gauge on his instrument- it helped a little ) congratulations on your new instrument !

• Members

It's also good not to wash your hands for a couple of hours after playing.

it helps building up the callouse.

Some player also use more pressure than neccessary on strings,even tho they are not bending,try to work on that also might extend the time you get toplay before it hurts.

• Members

I don't have callous problems anymore. I did have on and off irritation and what not for about 4 years. Then at some point my callouses all but went away while at the same time remaining hard. There are no grooves on my fingers or any marks, and it never hurts no matter how much I play. I think the nerves died or something. I'm not sure.

MISHA: Pourquoi tu passe jamais par le forum francais??:mad: Tu pourrais poser tes questions dans ta langue natale.

• Members
Originally posted by LDF

I don't have callous problems anymore. I did have on and off irritation and what not for about 4 years. Then at some point my callouses all but went away while at the same time remaining hard. There are no grooves on my fingers or any marks, and it never hurts no matter how much I play. I think the nerves died or something. I'm not sure.

MISHA: Pourquoi tu passe jamais par le forum francais??
:mad:
Tu pourrais poser tes questions dans ta langue natale.

Je ne sais pas :D

Archived