What do you do when your fingers hurt?

Misha

• Members

What do you do when your fingers hurt???

I bought my Norman B20 Folk a few weeks ago and I play one or two hours everyday, at least. My fingers started to hurt 3 or 4 days ago! :(

I still want to play but it's difficult. What do I do:

1. Put miraculous therapy lotion or something?

2. Stop playing even if I want to play?

3. Buy an electric?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Should be ok if you keep going the way you are. DON'T put lotion on.

It will be painful for a while, but the pain will go away after you build some calouses. Should start getting better in about a week mabey two.

I started playing when I was a little kid so I don't remember exactly how long it took for the calouses to build.

Don't give up! It's worth it!

• Members

Misha, I started playing seriously about 3 months ago, same as you, about 1 to 3 hours a day. My fingers hurt pretty bad for a few weeks. Take a day off every 5 or 6 days, it helps. Otherwise keep playing, the pain stops after a while (unless I am learning new chords, then my fingers always hurt because I grip the strings way to hard when I am learning new stuff).

• Members

Jasmine tea wrote:

DON'T put lotion on.

Not good for calouses I guess?

But then I have another question: what do i do to reduce the noise that my fingers do when I move my hand on the neck?

Is it only my technique or do you have a trick or two?

FRENCH-ENGLISH/ENGLISH-FRENCH DICTIONARY

Thanks for the link! I have one at home + the Oxford advanced learner's Dictionary. Both are very useful! ;)

• Members

Don't worry about the squeek. Just let it happen. You'll squeek less with practice.

Squeek happens because the fingers are not releasing completely before moving to another chord.

Some may recomend "string lube". I don't think it's a good idea. At least not for a beginner. Lotion, string lube, anything like that will not be good for the calouses.

• Members

My fingers hurt, too. Just got my new acoustic-electric today and have played it a LOT. I was already playing my old acoustic a lot the last couple days.

I'm mostly an electric player, and those calluses are not nearly as tough as the ones I'll build on the new guitar.

Also, the tip of my index finger is sore. I never realized that I brush the strings with the tip of my finger when I'm holding the pick.

• Members

One thing I used to do when first started playing (started on Bass, 5 years exclusively Bass), to build up callouses is I'd sandpaper my fingertips. 500 grit sandpaper, run my finger over concrete, etc. And in 2 weeks I had callouses that were impervious to anything. When I picked up 6string, I only got a minor case of the '6th string pit' as my friends called it. Oh, and playing 6string after years of bass... the bends were super duper easy.

• Members

I play anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours a day. When I started doing a solo acoustic gig I had to make the change from light to medium strings. That hurt. I practiced a lot to get ready for my first gig and now I play anywhere from 1-3 three+ hour gigs a week. Coming from an electric background, for the most part, my fingertips were KILLING me. I was shedding and tearing skin during gigs and ending up with not just dents in my fingertips but pot holes!:eek:;) An on line buddy said he would file the callouses smooth then use lotion. I'd never tried lotion before but I did. It works great for me in that the skin never tears or rips anymore. However, it can be still somewhat painful to play in that 3rd hour of a gig.

• Members
Originally posted by Misha

What do you do when your fingers hurt???

I bought my Norman B20 Folk a few weeks ago and I play one or two hours everyday, at least. My fingers started to hurt 3 or 4 days ago!
:(

You are experiencing what all acoustic guitarist first get: pain in the fingers.
This is due to applying a lot of pressure to fret a string or chord.
Stop playing for a few days. The pain will ease and you're fingers will thank you for it.
Callouses will built on your fingers, and that is expected.

• Members
Originally posted by UGB

An on line buddy said he would file the callouses smooth then use lotion. I'd never tried lotion before but I did. It works great for me in that the skin never tears or rips anymore. However, it can be still somewhat painful to play in that 3rd hour of a gig.

I use an emery board, but I file as little as possible. The idea of using lotion sounds scarry to me, like it would soften the calouses.

• Members

Originally posted by rockfan

You are experiencing what all acoustic guitarist first get: pain in the fingers. This is due to applying a lot of pressure to fret a string or chord.

Stop playing for a few days. The pain will ease and you're fingers will thank you for it.

Callouses will built on your fingers, and that is expected.

I tried an electric yesterday. It was so sweet for my fingers! I think I need to rest my fingers... The other option would be to buy an electric and switch when the acoustic get too painful.

I'm getting a surgery in a few weeks (in the abdomen).Until then the doctor told me to rest but i'm tired of it.

The (only) good thing about getting a surgery is that friends and family bring lot of gifts! My best friend asked questions about electric guitars yesterday... It was "weird"! :D:p

• Members

everybody gets that pain...suck it up and play through it...sorry, I used to coach. But really...it should stop or at least be less sensitive with time. I have the grooves in my fretting fingers as well plus...I strum with the tip/nail of my thumb...don`t use picks... and THAT was painful for a bit but not anymore.
Misha...you`re from Montreal like I am, if you played/watched hockey you know most guys just learn to play with pain... ever seen a dancers feet?

• Members

zenbu wrote:

everybody gets that pain...suck it up and play through it...sorry, I used to coach. But really...it should stop or at least be less sensitive with time. I have the grooves in my fretting fingers as well plus...

Glad to know that i'm normal with those grooves!

most guys just learn to play with pain... ever seen a dancers feet?

I like music too much to quit, plus it is such a good way to express my emotions! The benefit is worth the inconvenient! ;):o

Like jasmine Tea said: "as long as I have not broken the skin..." then I'll keep playing!

• Members

If you get 4 of those, your fingers wont hurt and you might make some very interesting slides :D

Like it was said before (and I find the answers quite good) fingers hurting is quite normal and you will devellop callouses (your fingers protecting themselves). If they hurt too much, you might want to stop for that day, it usually goes away fast. I personnally find that if you keep playing when it hurts that your finger tips just become numb....no more pain. Also, callouses do peel off from time to time; they just reform.

Bonne chance

Archived