LR Baggs M1 active

kwakatak

• Members

Just doing some looking around with regards to acoustic pickups. I need to put something on my Tak because I'll be performing with my church's praise band. An LR Baggs' soundhole pickup was mentioned but I don't know much about them apart from what's on the website. I don't have a preamp and I see that the M1 active doesn't require one. Has anyone had any experience with this pickup model?

• Members
I always hedge my bets. I'll be asking this one elsewhere too. Hopeless sap that I am, I still have hope for HC.

This forum is a bit more fun than most. It has everything. Information (some even good), contraversy, humor, even spys (zager) and the widest views of on topic around.

• Members

Originally posted by jackwr

This forum is a bit more fun than most. It has everything. Information (some even good), contraversy, humor, even spys (zager) and the widest views of on topic around.

Yeah, I still like this place. The trolling flared up last year but died of suddenly so that it's still at a minimum. The new "faces" are actually a bit refreshing too. There have been a few threads that have both bewildered and amused me, but in the end I did my best to keep the flamethrower stowed away. I admit I slipped from time to time and have been rightfully called on it though. I guess I just have to learn to be less full of myself.

My only real and justifiable gripe would be that we really do need some general info stickies. Not only to help out newbies but to keep as a reference for those of us who have short memories and even shorter attention spans. :o

• Members

I use a M-1 active in my Tacoma D-9. I think it sounds pretty good, the best sound hole, I'e ever heard, but I haven't heard them all. It takes a bit of tweaking with the magnet heights and it definitely needs some EQ effects. However, I have a K&K Pure Western in my Martin D-15 and it sounds a lot more natural sounding. I aways use my Martin when playing gigs with my folk trio.

DW

• Members

I want to revive this thread, because I am fairly certain that I am going to buy an M1, and I am confused as to which one I should get, the passive or the active.

I've been to Doug Young's site (thanks for the link to that excellent site), but it's convinced me that I want an M1, but doesn't help in regard to passive active.

If I get a passive, will an Xciter work as preamp if needed?

Do I really need a preamp?

I'll be plugging in to a Genz Benz Shenandoah, Jr.

Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are the experts, so please give me some advice

Thank you.

• Members

The Shenandoah JR has a suitable preamp built in.

The M1 output impedance is reasonably high (but nowhere near as high as a passive piezo) and will match well with the input of the Shenadoah series. Be sure to limit the cable length to 20' or less to minimize noise and high frequency rolloff due to cable capacitance.

Hope this helps

Andy Field

Product Development Engineer

Genz Benz

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

The Shenandoah JR has a suitable preamp built in.

The M1 output impedance is reasonably high (but nowhere near as high as a passive piezo) and will match well with the input of the Shenadoah series. Be sure to limit the cable length to 20' or less to minimize noise and high frequency rolloff due to cable capacitance.

Hope this helps

Andy Field

Product Development Engineer

Genz Benz

M1 Passive it is, then

Man, I couldn't do any better than that, could I? Right from the source. Thank you sincerely for your input. It is very much appreciated.

Archived