Jumbo vs. Dreadnought

jpp413

• Members

I've played many dreadnoughts (mostly mahagony wooded ones), but have lately been thinking about jumbos --- something in the J200 vein.

Anyway, how would you guys compare a mahagony-based dread to something like a J200 jumbo --- things like tone, projection, etc.? FWIW, most all of my playing is strumming.

• Members

Originally posted by Boneyard

I've played many dreadnoughts (mostly mahagony wooded ones), but have lately been thinking about jumbos --- something in the J200 vein.

Anyway, how would you guys compare a mahagony-based dread to something like a J200 jumbo --- things like tone, projection, etc.? FWIW, most all of my playing is strumming.

I have both an SJ200 and J185. To my ears the superior balance, tonally, of the maple jumbo makes for a great strummer.

In a dread, mahogany may just have the edge for projection but for all round capability and versatility I would favour a jumbo in maple. Rosewood jumbos can get muddy and mahogany jumbos, if a Lowden 012 I once owned is anything to go by, can be a bit strident and harsh.

• Members

I don't know about a J200 because I have never played one. I do own a Taylor 315Ce Limited that is made from Mahogany and Sitka Spruce. It is set up to use medium strings.

Andrewrg spoke of his Lowden jumbo as being "strident and harsh". I find mine to be anything but. For a flatpicking guitar, it is not only the best I have ever owned but the best I personally have ever played. Especially plugged up. It is rich and PUNCHES through the mix. Extremely well balanced and forgiving. Intonation is perfect and it stays in tune.

I think Maple would brighten up a guitar a bit if that is what you are looking for and I have always thought of Rosewood as being a darker sound. On a jumbo it might sound muddy, I just don't know.

The best thing to do is dedicate yourself to playing the S*** out of as many guitars as you can put your hands on and buy the one you keep coming back to. Forget what they are made out of.

RT1

• Members

Im really not a big fan of Dreadnaughts ( use to be thou ! ) because everyone seems to have one , i like stuff thats different-- jumbos are neat -- mahogany ones seems mellower , Rosewood is bright , Maple is also bright, but a different kind of bright, almost like a cleaner bright ( but sometimes not as loud - makes great Jazz guitars ) My Greven is a Jumbo Maple , its a nice instrument but is nothing like the norm and not everyones cup of tea -- try one of each to get the feel for your own sound !-- right now im going threw the OM phase - which is another avenue of exploration .

• Members

I have a spruce/maple jumbo. Loud. Very loud. The projection of this body/wood is meant to serenade the horizon. I think it to be pretty balanced, tonally, but it is a very bright sounding guitar. Mine is a 12 string but i'm thinking a 6 would not be as bright. The sympathetic strings on this 12 create that extra brightness. A friend of mine has a Taylor 815CE and I think that guitar sounds beautiful.

• Members

Tried out an SJ200 recently and wish I owned the thing. Just beautiful tone. Rich, balanced, crystal clear, loud. One of the nicest sounding gits I've ever touched. My only problem with Gibson acoustics, which is another topic, is that I've never seen one that didn't exhibit some evidence of sloppy workmanship - mostly on their fretboards. Would that stop me from buying a guitar that sounded like that SJ200? Nope. But a shortage of about $2,500 might... :D

Best sounding dread I've ever touched? Martin D-18GE. Knocked me on my ass. Worlds apart, though.

For a strummer, choices limited to hog dreads or maple jumbos, I'd take the Gibson. If it were free...

• Members

I did forget to mention the Martin D-35. Best sounding dread I ever had. If I were going to be strumming or doing some flatpicking I would definitely give that guitar a test drive. I had a D-18 and it was a great sounding guitar but the D-35 edged it out, IMO.

• Members

All my acoustic guitars save the Little Martin and PR150 are jumbos. They are loud and bright but do well with finger picking, at least for my technique and music I play and write. Each one of mine are different in subtle ways because of the variations in size and tone woods used. All have solid spruce tops.

The Epi EJ-300 has laminated rosewood sides and back and has most of the characteristics of rosewood but not as good as solid wood would be. FWIW I tried the Epi EJ-300 and a Gibson SJ200 side by side and there seemed little difference between the two. To be fair however, the strign were thrashed on the SJ and I know it had been beat at GC. (Insert favorite GC flame here.)

The Gretsch Sierra jumbo has laminated sides and a solid back of maple. It is very bright and booming. Of the groups it is the least suited to picking. The Gretsch Rancher and Tanara have solid mahogany sides and back. The Rancher is a cutaway A/E and is the a great guitar for picking. It is more like the 000/OM size in terms of overall body size. The is Tanara made by Ibanez in Korea and it is a huge jumbo with a 5.5" depth and 17.5" across the lower bout. It is loud, bright and very balanced.

The Rancher and Tanara are the best all around type guitars. They do it all, just a bit louder than most.

I will try and get some pics up at some point of the family.

YMMV....

Archived