Miking an Acoustic

hammergjh

• Members

Well you're going to need a mic, a preamp to boost the mic signal, and a converter to convert it to digital if you want to record onto your computer. And, IMHO acoustics sound much better recorder in stereo (with 2 mics) What's youre budget?

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

Buy a Samson C01U USB condenser microphone. You don't need a mixer, preamp or interface. It plugs directly into your PC's USB port. You can pick one up for $79.00.

I agree. If you're shooting for under $100 it's pretty darn hard to beat the Samson right now. Or wait a year, I think there's going to be a landslide of cheap USB condensers soon.

• Members

I use a Audio Technica AD2020. Got it out of the MF catalog for 100 bucks. It certainly ain't a Neuman but I like it and think it does a real good job.

Oh,BTW, it ain't USB but I just run my mixer line outs straight into my sound card. Don't have any glitches with that. Now my playing and singing may be a different story.

RT1:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

My tracks are all one takes with no effects or editing. I plugged in the mic in my USB port and placed it about 14" from the 12th fret.

I plan to do some better recordings in the near future.

I can't listen to these files. I get an error messege... is it because I'm on a Mac??

• Members

Haha aite. Here's some examples of recordings I've made using two large diaphragm condensors, set up ORTF, into the MBox2 and recorded/mixed/mastered in ProTools.

Click Download

The first is a two guitar song, me picking and harmonica, my friend strumming and singing, the second is all me and my Larrivee, the third is all my friend and his Martin.

• Members

I went to GC at lunch. They don't carry that Shure PG57 anymore. He was trying to sell me a mixer and all this other {censored}. I said, "I don't want it that complicated."

I'll mail order one.

BTW, I saw some Neuman's. Holy {censored}, some of those were close to 3 grand!

:eek:

Archived