Multitrack recording agony

kwakatak

• Members

Except for one other time I have never recorded more than one track with Audacity. This time I'm trying to do something a little more elaborate with "Why Georgia":

Track 1: "click track"

Track 2: acoustic guitar 1

Track 3: vocals

Track 4: acoustic guitar 2

I have to tell you, for a newbie this is a difficult and painful process (to listen to). Has anybody else ever felt this way?

• Members

I have done it a few times but didn't have much of a problem. What's the glitch? Coinciding with your bad week?

I usually have the phones on listening to the first track while laying down the 2nd. I play back both while laying down the 3rd, etc. But, I usually use one track for the first guitar and vocal because that would be the live gig. Everything's easier after that.

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

Except for one other time I have never recorded more than one track with Audacity. This time I'm trying to do something a little more elaborate with "Why Georgia":

Track 1: "click track"

Track 2: acoustic guitar 1

Track 3: vocals

Track 4: acoustic guitar 2

I have to tell you, for a newbie this is a difficult and painful process (to listen to). Has anybody else ever felt this way?

Yes. I tried it a few weeks ago. I was messing with a multi track version of Daughter. I ended up frustrated and pissed.

I have 3 or 4 other programs. Unfortunatley, they are copies and I don't have any manuals. They are way more complicated than Audacity.

Hey, your show is coming on (Rockstar Supernova - 9:00 PM Eastern :D).

• Members

OH!!! I'd better run and watch it!!! :freak:

BTW - the biggest problem I'm having is getting the levels to match. Then there's the problem I have with listening to my own voice.

I'm also having a little finger-trouble with that little acoustic lick based on the C chord...! :(

• Members

BTW - the biggest problem I'm having is getting the levels to match. Then there's the problem I have with listening to my own voice.

I'm also having a little finger-trouble with that little acoustic lick based on the C chord...!
:(

That aint no big deal. Just set the record level so it records well, adjust the playback afterwards.

There should be a way to set the level of each track for a headphone mix to listen to while you record the other tracks, does'nt need to be perfect.

If it's a matter of one guitar jumping out over the rest at various places, (you should've played the part differently, or) you can bounce the jumpy track to another track while riding the fader.

At least that's how it is in "reality", with a computer it may be different.

• Members

I just got a Mac and I use GarageBand. Infinately easier tan any program that I have used yet...but you have to buy a Mac first. Before that I used CoolEdit pro and it worked fine. It's all practice practice practice. BTW, I just posted a song on PutFile if youse want to take a listen. I'm keeping it on the down low and not posting a thread or anything...it'll be our little secret. Recorded with my DM-500 Masterbilt the Superhero's Lament

• Members

You probably have a couple of functions in your software one is called 3db louder and 3db quieter and the other is called normalize audio. They can work for you to balance audio between tracks for a pre-mix. The problem is that they can increase noise in the track.

You should also have a volume setting dedicated to each track that you can set arbitrarily from 0 - 127. Even after the track is recorded it should still work.

In Cakewalk you can set up volume envelopes and automate them with your virtual mixer and then copy and paste your mixes to stereo tracks. I do not know if your software has this function or not.

Just my .02:p

• Members

OH!!! I'd better run and watch it!!!
:freak:

I'm also having a little finger-trouble with that little acoustic lick based on the C chord...!
:(

1. LOL

2. LOL - I always...ALWAYS...have trouble listening to my own voice. I get a case of the Cringes everytime. Then I remember I'm not a singer so it's okay. The levels are something you play with after recording and before final mix down. Your software should at least give you that option(?).

3. Seems there's always that one little lick that isn't down and you're just itching to record the rest of the piece. I shuck it off and record anyway. Sure enough, I screw up that lick but I just keep recording it over until I screw up the right way. The great thing about it is you have it recorded. Think about how many times you felt good about getting it right and wished you had recorded it.

• Members

Thanks all, Hud you won't be dissapointed in the git. Kwak, I love your recordings, I have the damndest time putting mine together. I end up hitting the delete key after hours of work. I've had to really simplify to get anything that I can stand to listen to.

• Members

Originally posted by Whalebot

I end up hitting the delete key after hours of work.

Stop that! Don't do that anymore! You should'nt do that!

Ok...deep breath...I'm relaxed.

Whale, try this: Save that work. Put it on the shelf. Let it sit for a year or two. Listen to it again. You'll either be surprized at how good it sounds, or you'll get a laugh at how bad it sounds. Either way it's worth it, educational.

Everytime I listen to an old recording I enjoy the good parts, roll my eyes at the bad parts.

Save 'em.

• Members

The biggest mistake I make is being over critical through the entire process. I agonize over every detail so that I end up giving up and walking away from it. However, after some time, when I come back I'm more appreciative and hardly notice the mistakes. When you feel yourself getting discouraged, just step away and come back later. It works for me. Good luck.

I have a ton of recordings. How do I post them here?

• Members

Originally posted by martingibson70

The biggest mistake I make is being over critical through the entire process. I agonize over every detail so that I end up giving up and walking away from it. However, after some time, when I come back I'm more appreciative and hardly notice the mistakes.

I have a ton of recordings. How do I post them here?

the easiest thing is putfile.com... for me at least... insanely easy to upload files, up to 25 megs for free... then just post the hyperlink here...

• Members

Great job, Whalebot! :thu:

Did you record the vocals during or after the guitar track?

Man alive, there have been some good clips posted tonight! I'm loving it, but now I'm really feeling unsure about my singing abilities.

• Members

i have a hard time listening to my vocals almost always... i dont' have a problem live.. i mean live you mess up you just keep going and people forget... but if its recorded its THERE... haha...

i think its natural to overly critique ones own self...

• Members

Originally posted by martingibson70

Hey Kwak, I just listened to your Wild World. Great vocal.

Yeah, that was guitar and vocals simultaneously. It just seems to flow more naturally. The problem is that I only have one mic.

I'm working on "Why Georgia" right now but I'm hesitant to post what I have. The mix is kinda cluttered... and oh yeah, I can't stand my nasally-sounding voice. I suppose I could sing louder so that I use my diaphram and not my sinuses but I don't want to wake the whole house up!

• Members

kwak- as to the multitrack thing... it may be best to record your main guitar to the click, then the other guitar, then mute the second guitar while you record the vocal... you could also mute the click for the vocal, you don't really need it, i don't suppose... you'll then just have to bring everything up to the volume you want everything...

with multiple guitar tracks (depending on what kind of parts the second guitar is playing) its sometimes good to pan them around a little bit... even if its just putting one 20 percent left and the other 20 percent right... leave the vocal right down the center... it clears a little space up and SOMETIMES cleans things up a bit if it sounds too cluttered.

another thing is micing the guitar differently or using different guitars for the two tracks...

ahh, but there are no rules...

• Members

oh... and i always... ALWAYS sing better while playing... if i'd had unlimited money/time when i was recording i'd have recorded vox/acoustic at the same time and done it until it was good enough... but the time/money thing dictated that i nail the guitar, then nail the vocal after, even though i don't think i sing as well that way.

• Members

Thanks, Cldp!

I've been fooling around with different pannings, tweaking the levels, adding reverb, etc for a few hours now and just feel as if I'm heading in the right direction. One thing's for certain, I do need to go back and re-record the main guitar part to the click track because it's making it tough to add other guitar parts. From playing fingerstyle, I've gotten used to being able to play with the tempo a little, but in this application you have to keep the beat no matter what.

Anyhoo, I've gotten brave enough to put something up on Putfile. The guitars are a mess and the vocals are extremely "pitchy" but I view it as a "work in progress".

http://media.putfile.com/WhyGeorgia-take1

Oh well, I suppose it would be easier if I were working on an original composition and not a cover tune. :o

• Members

thats the thing recording a cover... there is a measurable 'standard' out there floating around...

i really don't think your vocals are as far away from 'there' as you think they are... i do think 'pushing' with a little more diaphram would help... but like you said, you have people in the house who probably value their sleep... maybe in the morning?

• Members

Other than the fact that it's a John Mayer song...:rolleyes:

Sounds like Kwak's got plenty of range, just needs to practice. The more you sing, the more comfortable you become with the sound of your voice, the more you create your own vocal identity. Pretty soon it's just like talking.

A common mistake for singers is feeling as though they need to emulate popular enunciations, inflections, slurs. This is not true, and those who do it sound as though they are emulating. Nothing wrong with stealing ideas from singers you respect, but do it knowingly/onpurpose/deliberatly, then move on, treating it as you would a new guitar riff.

Archived