Multitrack recording agony

kwakatak

• Members

Originally posted by Sweb

I have done it a few times but didn't have much of a problem. What's the glitch? Coinciding with your bad week?

I usually have the phones on listening to the first track while laying down the 2nd. I play back both while laying down the 3rd, etc. But, I usually use one track for the first guitar and vocal because that would be the live gig. Everything's easier after that.

Pretty much my MO...track 1 and 2 will be vocals/rhythm guitar/sometimes rack harp, track 3 will be bass, track 4 and 5 will be whatever I use for a "lead" (guitar, dobro, mandolin, whatever), track 6 and 7 (done simultaneously with track 1) is usually a drum groove from one of my drum machines (lately my Alesis SR-16).

After I'm happy with everything, I'll usually add hand percussions and often erase the drum machine track, unless it really sounds good (I'm not the best at programming "happening" drum machine parts, I gotta confess), and then other parts (harmony vocals, other instruments).

• Members
Originally posted by Cldplytkmn

i have a hard time listening to my vocals almost always... i dont' have a problem live.. i mean live you mess up you just keep going and people forget... but if its recorded its THERE... haha...

i think its natural to overly critique ones own self...

EXACTLY my feelings...I hate to listen to my recordings because all I hear are the clams that (fortunately) nobody else realizes ARE clams! :thu:

• Members

Well, I asure you NOBODY else hears your voice that way. The 2 singers I've played with over the years are excellent and they have spoiled me. Thanks to them, I am ultra demanding about vocals and I'd record with ya.

Back on topic...I never thought about it before, but I ALWAYS use different guitars or capo or arpegio or use alternate tunings when I multitrack/overdub. Arpegios add a nice layer of depth and are simple to add. And panning...that IS extremely important. Once you start listening for panning and use your headphones you'll hear some interesting things. Some Hendrix has the bass and drums panned hard to 1 side and it works.

• Members

Originally posted by Whalebot

I just got a Mac and I use GarageBand. Infinately easier tan any program that I have used yet...but you have to buy a Mac first. Before that I used CoolEdit pro and it worked fine. It's all practice practice practice. BTW, I just posted a song on PutFile if youse want to take a listen. I'm keeping it on the down low and not posting a thread or anything...it'll be our little secret. Recorded with my DM-500 Masterbilt

Whale,

I use a Mac also and I have been trying to use Garageband. Can you listen to stuff on Putfile? I have to use my Dell to listen to uploaded files there.

• Members

Carguy,
Use garageband, send your song to itunes where you can then choose to convert it to an MP3, then simply upload it to Putfile. I just typed mp3 in the help section of garageband then in Itunes and it led me through the process

• Members

Carguy,

Use garageband, send your song to itunes where you can then choose to convert it to an MP3, then simply upload it to Putfile. I just typed mp3 in the help section of garageband then in Itunes and it led me through the process

OK. I'll give that a try. Can you listen to files that have been posted on Putfile? I can't for some reason on my i-Book. I wonder if it would work with files I uploaded myself?

• Members

+1 I have the same problem. I said screw it and turned it off.

That's what I did too, but when I layed down the backing guitar track I couldn't find the tempo and ended up playing behind it. :(

Oh well, back to the drawing board. I'm seriously gonna try a new song.

BTW - has anybody ever tried importing a midi track into Audacity? I copied tab into PowerTab for a song we did in church that has a keyboard part and exported it to MIDI. If it works, I might have something to build from the next time around. :cool:

Archived