my first new bruise on my new tak!

apostrophe

• Members

oh, sometimes i dont know how i can be so stupid. and theres no one to blame but myself. i was playing in my apartment last nite, my new tak eg523sc strapped snuggly around my body. i was deeply immersed in its gorgeous tones when my fiancee beckoned from another room. rather than take it off, i strutted on over, playing all the while. one doorway, another door way, all good. i answer her question, show her a few licks i just learned and proceed to strut back. my cat "jethro" was calling so i picked him up and said "im going to take him in the bedroom with me for a bit." well, jethro didnt want to be picked up and struggled violently. juggling him with one hand and my tak in the other i didnt realize that my headstock was heading full force for the door frame.....it all happened in slow motion. ssssSSSSSMMMMAACK!!! now, luckily i wasnt really holding the guitar so there was some slack from the strap and it kinda got pushed backwards rather than forward into the wall if i had been holding tightly. never the less, i saw wall on my headstock. paint chips, all sorts of evil things. i laid him(tak) down on the couch as if he were a soldier wounded in battle. i brushed the wall paint off of him and got out my trusty red bandana(guitar cloth) and wiped him down. the damage is very, very minor. just looks like its a small unfinished part of the gloss but still, theres now a blemish whereas before it was pristine. in fact, the wall took even more damage!! i was so disheartened and felt incredibly stupid. my girl says its cooler now.....a few battle scars only add to the depth. perhaps, but it couldve been worse and its my stupidity that hurts the most. that and the forever scar ill always see and remind myself....dont be dumb! sigh, mark

• Members

Don't beat yourself up over it. I've done much worse to my F360 - including using it as a drum after seeing the Justin King video!

Speaking of neck damage and an EG523SC, take a look at what I found on eBay

:eek::eek::eek:

The posting doesn't mention anything about it, but the pictures tell another story. That neck snapped in TWO separate pieces!!! :eek:

That one's gonna go for dirt cheap but I wonder how much it will cost to repair and if it's really worth it? :confused:

• Members

Bah! I HATE it when I ding a guitar. I totally feel for you. I just put my first ding in my Taylor Big Baby and it's been bugging me nonstop. Even though it's only a $350 guitar, it still ticks me off to no end.

...and eBay...:mad: People auctioning off instruments that should be mint but aren't because they're too stupid to care for them. "I've had this guitar for less than a year and it's in excellent shape except for three small dings and a scrape..." Cripes. My DeArmond M75 is five years old and it doesn't have a mark! I suppose it's better than outright lying though, as I've bought more than one instrument in "excellent" condition that turned out to be in fair condition.

• Members

Feel lucky that you didn't snap the head of the guitar OFF. It does suck to put a blem on your baby, but they inevitable do come. Likewise, getting that first noticable scratch on a new car feels similar. BUT, a bent up, scratched up car is just a peice of {censored}. Where-as a battle worn Guitar has soul and character.

Keep on pickin' (and scratching)...

• Members

If that makes you feel bad, consider this. About a year ago I put the first ding ever in my '91 D-28. That isn't too bad if you consider the age of the guitar, but consider this: my Grandpa had it for the first 11 years of its life and didn't put so much as a pick scratch in the thing. He sold it to me and I dinged it in less than a year.

• Members

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=788799&highlight=EG523SC

not sure what a D-28 sounds like but check out this link where we talk about our taks. all i know is, when i was looking for a new guitar i looked at everything and was dissapointed by A LOT of guitars. they either werent comfortable, didnt sound good, crappily made, or ugly. but the tak, man, the tak, was perfect all around. incredible looks that match the incredible sound. really, ive had mine for about 4 months and i am IN LOVE! absolutely gorgeous.....oh and my comparison the RD-10, well lets just say i was feeling bad for my neglected alvi that day. there is no comparison. they shouldnt even be in the same room together. i will keep this tak for as long as it lives, which judging by its tank like build, will be a long time. nice!

• Members

Well, I had this gigantic response all typed out, and then something 'blipped' in the local power supply, and now I'm typing again. I'll just keep this short so I won't blather on like i did earlier.

Went to the local Guitar Center at "Cincinnati Mills" mall. For the first time ever, I waltzed directly into the Acoustic room, and started browsing. Boy oh boy. Like I was a kid in a candy store. I had the whole evaluation room to myself, with no one else in the acoustic room. Imagine that!

Over the course of an hour and a half, I casually went through about 12 guitars. Several stuck out for the second round of A/B comparisons. Guess which. All were Takamines. I avoided the "expensive room" because its just not in my budget.

After the sales guy came in to see if everything was going all right, he was able to quickly profile my interests, and pointed out two other guitars I hadn't even considered picking up. One was in the forbidden "expensive room".

He brought over a used Seagull (don't know which model), and then pulled out a Taylor 110. When I saw it was a taylor I immediately thought "Golly, I don't have the money for... oh, its about on par for my budget. Alright I'll try it."

After playing those two, I didn't know whether to thank him or slap him for making my life more complicated. Soundwise it was no contest, the Taylor won. Just gorgeous sound all over the fretboard. Most quality at an affordable price, again, almost no contest, the Seagull won. The Seagull just had it over any of the other 'more affordable' guitars.

But, when it comes down to it, I still may end up buying a Takamine. Why?

Here's why. For the money, the Takamines offer the best combination of features and tone that a guy like me can get.

I'll make another thread for the questions I have about Takamine's. Thanks for listening (reading, whatever).

• Members

That first ding is painful. I had my D-15 for about two weeks before I got my first one. I managed to hit one of the buckles on my case that hadn't folded down.

Most people tell me they can't even see it, but *I* know it's there.

It gets better after a little while. Until you do it again.

• Members

Ooh ooh, my turn to tell a story. It's a short one. One day I was taking something out of an overhead cabinet, while my guitar was lying on the couch just under it when a couple of cd's (in their cases) slid out of the cupboard, fell about 3.5 feet and one of them hit my guitar with the sharp corner of the case.

My first thought was "this isn't really happening, this did not just happen. If I cracked my beloved Yairi, I wouldn't know what to do with myself". I've had dreams where something happens to one of my guitars, that's how obsessed I can be.

Well I managed to pull my wits about me. I quickly inspected the guitar from all angles, inside and out, and determined that the only damage was a small nick in the wood, but luckily no cracks.

I then fell to my knees and tried to put my fist through the floor for being such a fvcking careless retard.

P.S. of all the cd's that could have dinged my guitar, it had to be a double john mayer cd. I don't even particularly care for his music, but now I really hate him.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

when you said you were "playing on the way" i laughed out loud, i do the same thing. Nothing like playing a song for your gal, but i wouldnt know. I know a song girls do like though my bro plays it. Its a sure fire way to get some poon

The Drugs Dont Work by the Verve

• Members

If you want to avoid dings and scratches, leave your guitar in the case and don't play it.

You will lose your mind if you sweat over every little scratch.

I was like that about a car I owned. It was a 1994 Mustang Cobra I special ordered from the dealer. I had it for a little less than 2 years. I spent too much time detailing it, looking for paint chips and worrying that it would get dinged or stolen. It sucked the enjoyment out of owning it. I sold it.

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

If you want to avoid dings and scratches, leave your guitar in the case and don't play it.

You will lose your mind if you sweat over every little scratch.

I was like that about a car I owned. It was a 1994 Mustang Cobra I special ordered from the dealer. I had it for a little less than 2 years. I spent too much time detailing it, looking for paint chips and worrying that it would get dinged or stolen. It sucked the enjoyment out of owning it. I sold it.

+1

I couldn't enjoy my gits nearly as much if I worried about dings and crap. Granted, I regret the 9" top crack I put in my Guild, but at least it taught me not to go all Bruce Lee with my percussive whims... and there's a diff between a significant top crack and the average ding/booboo... although neither will put a guitar out of commission. I've only been really hyper-careful with one guitar: a Taylor 310 I used to have... And that was only because I knew I wanted to sell it.

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

OK, looking at the original post to this thread I see that his Tak is now going on 2 years old. I wonder if he even cares about dings anymore - or even comes to the acoustic forum anymore?

I am still here....and I still love my Tak!!!

I also still wipe him down after every session and make him all shiny again. I've played a number of EG523SC's since then and NONE of them have even come close to mine in terms of sound and playability!

Archived