String Buzz (revisited)

STEELSTRINGS

• Members

I think I finally figured out what the guitar tech/luthier did to get rid of the buzz on my high E string at the 6th fret. I was changing my strings and I pulled the saddle off and found a thin sliver of pick glued to the bottom of the saddle groove under the high E and B string.:idea:

• Members

Originally posted by STEELSTRINGS

I think I finally figured out what the guitar tech/luthier did to get rid of the buzz on my high E string at the 6th fret. I was changing my strings and I pulled the saddle off and found a thin sliver of pick glued to the bottom of the saddle groove under the high E and B string.
:idea:

Yes sir, the shim technique. Very common fix.

• Members

Origionally posted by Hudman

Yes sir, the shim technique. Very common fix.

Common, yes, but is it a good one? Personally, I would rather install a new saddle (just did that in fact, with a little help from FK and Bob Colosi) than have a shim. In this case, with a shim under only the E and B strings, I wonder how effective it could be. Steelstrings, did you notice any change (other than the buzzing being eliminated) in the tone? Better, worse, or the same?

• Members

Just the other day I cut off the end of a nail and put that under my high E. It really sounds pretty good, I was surprised. Don't know how long its going to last though. Plus I didn't really cut it short enough and I keep scraping my hand on it. Maybe I'll post a pic.

Ellen

• Members

Raised the action, eh?

I'm curious how flat your neck is? If the buzz was at 6 I would guess it is really flat and possibly he/she could have just added a little bit of relief. Assuming it wasn't a high fret. Main thing is that you are happy with it.

I do hope like hell the shim was glued to the bottom of the saddle and not into the bridge slot ("saddle groove")

• Members

These are certainly some unusual examples/suggestions though admittedly I know nothing about shimming saddles. I recall LittleBrother mentioning that he liked to use a certain kind of clay to provide full contact between the base of the saddle and the base of the bridge slot. I don't know how or even why he arrived at such a choice, though.

• Members

did you notice any change (other than the buzzing being eliminated) in the tone? Better, worse, or the same?

I noticed little to no change in tone.

I do hope like hell the shim was glued to the bottom of the saddle and not into the bridge slot ("saddle groove")

NOPE It was indeed glued to the bottom of the bridge slot.:(

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

These are certainly some unusual examples/suggestions though admittedly I know nothing about shimming saddles. I recall LittleBrother mentioning that he liked to use a certain kind of clay to provide full contact between the base of the saddle and the base of the bridge slot. I don't know how or even why he arrived at such a choice, though.

I thought the purpose of the clay was for use with under saddle pups?

If there is any gap between the bottem of the saddle and the bottem of the bridge slot at ANY point from bass to treble side it can cause a loss of tone.

Ex: If you shim the bass side of the saddle only, a gap will be created along the bottem of the saddle from the shim to the treble side. The strings in the middle (over the gap) will likely sound dead.

• Members

Origionally posted by Jasamine Tea

If there is any gap between the bottem of the saddle and the bottom of the bridge slot at ANY point from bass to treble side it can cause a loss of tone.

That's what I was thinking. Hard to imagine that the A - G strings are transmitting any vibrations to the bridge at all, but Steelstrings says he noticed no change. So..., wonder what that means? Bad that the tech glued the shim into the slot though.

Steel strings, are you sure it's actually glued in and not just dropped in there?

• Members
Steel strings, are you sure it's actually glued in and not just dropped in there?

I didn't pick at it a lot but it didn't readily move. As far as change in tone I only had the guitar one day before I began to notice the buzz. So I don't have a lot of playing time in before the buzz was fixed to make any good comparison. It sounds though like I would be better off getting that shim out and replacing the saddle.(maybe with tusq).

Archived