Acoustic Guitar Amps!

redblueyellow

• Members

Looking for a reliable, transportable amp for my Martin Aura Acoustic to play live shows with, dont know where to start.... should i look specifically into acoustic amps or does it matter. Would love to hear from Martin owners or acoustic players regarding amps. currently looking into the roland ac series.

thx ahead of time

• Members

I tried a bunch of acoustic amps and eventually settled on a portable PA instead. I find the sound more natural (less "processed" for lack of a better word). And, naturally, I can use the PA for a variety of other things as well (keys, mic, electric git ...).

The one I have (Yamaha StagePAS) is easily as portable as most acoustic amps and costs about the same as an Acoustisonic Jr. ($550-$600). Check out their website for more info if you're interested, or respond to this thread and I'll drown you in more information.

Cheers ! :D

• Members

Originally posted by redblueyellow

Looking for a reliable, transportable amp for my Martin Aura Acoustic to play live shows with, dont know where to start.... should i look specifically into acoustic amps or does it matter. Would love to hear from Martin owners or acoustic players regarding amps. currently looking into the roland ac series.

thx ahead of time

It depends on a lot of things, such as budget, intended use (venue, solo vs. band, etc.), playing style, pickup source(s), personal preference and, again, budget.

There are many acoustic amps in the $300 to $750 price range. Most are pretty good. There are a few in the $750 to $1,500 range. Better. Above that, pricewise, gets a bit esoteric, but they are excellent.

Small PAs are also a viable choice. Same price ranges and qualitites, overall.

• Members

You might also check out a good small bass amp. I was going to buy a acoustic amp,but I plugged into my bass amp,and the tone is great,got to do some adjusting of the knobs,but it works for me. I also got a small pa too for coffee house type gigs,but for playing solo at church,the bass amp gets the job done.

• Members

Originally posted by KATMAN

You might also check out a good small bass amp.

I have a little Crate Bass amp and it works just as well, if not better than any acoustic amp I've ever used. Make sure it has an EQ with at least two bands, so you can back off on the bass frequencies.

Ellen

• Members

Thanks for clearing it up for me. I was thinking clearly. I can't tell much difference in the small Fishman acoustic amp and my Peavey Minx bass amp.Well,of course the Peavey is a lot bassier,but if you have a cheaper laminated model with not so good electronics,it really helps bring out the guitar. My former pastor played a cheap Jay Turser model,and the sound thru a bass amp really helped out the sound.

• Members

Crate makes a good acoustic amp (see my signature). Mine has three channels; for guitar, mic, and I can use the third for a drum machine, or keyboard, and sometimes I play backing tracks from my ipod. An acoustic amp also generally has a "notch" filter adjustment or dial to help with feedback problems. They usually can easily adjust for either a piezo or active pickup system from your guitar.

A good acoustic amp is actually a mini PA system; they are both full frequency range flat response amp systems.

Good luck in your choice.

Arizona Ken

• Members

I've been researching these recently. Behringer came out with a new line that is reasonbly priced, has good effects and many extra features (I/O, compressor on 1800, 2 X 8'' speakers on 900 and 1800). The ACX 450, 900 and 1800 are priced between $199 and $299. They provide two channels with independent effects. The first channel is for guitar, the second for mic or instrument, but seems more geared toward mic.

I purchased the 1800 and am waiting on delivery. Go to Behringer's website for more details.

The Crate Toas and Gunnison are also very well made and offer two channels, but come with less features. They sound excellent, a little more clear and quiet than the Behringer products I've seen and heard in the past.

The Fender Acoustasonic DSP 30 is nice, but I chose to go with the Behringer ACX 1800 site unseen after evaluating the ACX 1000 (a similar yet older technology model than the 1800) and the Fender.

The decision should be based on your needs, (e.g. do you need vocal I/O, solo or band member), and what features you require as far as effects, power, etc. and your price range.

Hope this helps. Keep on playin'.

Phil T.

• Members

Originally posted by fairwarning

i have a marshall as50 ,not a great deal there in the way of effects,just a bit chorus and reverb,but it has a very nice clean sound,its also very reasonably priced in my opinion.

yeah the as50 is pretty good alright. i sold mine after i got a trace elliott though, definitely check out trace elliott. sweeeeet tone and lots of cool options. more expensive though

• Members

I got the ACX1800 today. First impression - it is a very nice unit with excellent features for the price. I evaluated the Behringer ACX 1000, the Fender Acoustasonic DSP 30 and the Crate Gunnison prior to receiving this unit. The ACX 1800 seems cleaner and crisper than the 1000. Like most Behringers I

• Members

Originally posted by PhilTListener

If I had to choose a unit over the 1800, it would be the Crate. The sound is the highest quality of all the units, with virtually no hum or hiss, especially when compared to the other 3 units. However, the price is $50 more than the 1000 and the 1800, and $30 more than the DSP 30, and it has less features.

Would you consider the higher sound quality of the Crate a feature?

• Members

Of course, and probably the most important, which is why I would've chosen the Crate. However the vocal channel on the 1800 seems to provide more of what I need since I will sing over the second channel. The Crate seems to gear itself more toward two instruments, and you lack the ability to separately tailor the FX on each channel.

PhilT

• Members

Originally posted by redblueyellow

thx ahead of time

Red,

You have a lot of options, many more than you may have had only 5 or so years ago.

I have played many and there are some good ones out there.

I have owned the Fender Acoustisonic Jr, and traded it for the SWR california Blonde.

I will recommend the old CB, made by the original SWR company the new one is made by Fender in Mex, and it may be good, but I don't know what changes they have made.

I will also recommend that you look in to the Roldnad AC's, they sound very good, I played one a few weeks ago and it was very nice.

I have played the Fishman stuff and like that too. The Bigger Fishman Loudbox is kinda pricey.

Check in to AER stuff, Ultrasound, and Genz Benz too.

I currently play tge SWR California Blonde which has a XLR input for a mic, it's old fashion analog reverb too.

Lots of power and bottom end.

If you have the time, I have a Fender passport 250, that I play out with a lot.

I paid about 700 for mine about 5 yaers ago. It's an awesome little PA, and has 4 inputs. I gig with a friend with this one. Very very nice.

This may be the way to go, all you need is 2 speaker stands and 2 mic stands, it comes with every thing else.

• Members

Hey!

I tried the AER Compact60 today. I read a lot of good recomendations here about the AERs, so I was excited... But I didn't really like it. I have a Marshall AS50R and I think it has a warmer, more transparent sound than AER have. The guitar I used was a Raimundo F646 and I could not set neither the guitar and the amp EQ to get a sound without a bit boxlike way... And the EQs of the AER have less action than Marshall has. I had to turn the knobs fully to hear the sound changing... The effects are the only thing I liked more than Marshall's... I dont know if anyone else had the same experience?!

Archived