Flight of the Bumblebee on UKE!!!

Stackabones

• Members

Wow!

I'd never thought of the ukelele as a serious instrument until recently. I may have to get one of those one of these days though I know nothing about them.

BTW, what's with the uke in that clip. It's got a cutaway, a full-face scratchguard and a pointy headstock?!? :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

Wow!

what's with the uke in that clip. It's got a cutaway, a full-face scratchguard and a pointy headstock?!?
:confused:

right. that is one tricked out uke!

BTW, Kwak, fine job on that Martin Taylor tune. (wanted to let you know, but w/o posting into that thread)

He (Martin Taylor) recorded one of the Tone Poem series of CDs with David Grisman several years ago. all done on premium vintage instruments.

check it out.

• Members

Originally posted by Queequeg

BTW, Kwak, fine job on that Martin Taylor tune. (wanted to let you know, but w/o posting into that thread)

He (Martin Taylor) recorded one of the Tone Poem series of CDs with David Grisman several years ago. all done on premium vintage instruments.

check it out.

Thanks, I was about to start a thread for that recording and another I did yesterday.

• Members

Thanks for asking. Many people don't know this, but the ukulele is a tree that grows in Hawaii. They harvest the fruit, called a "cigar box" and ship them to Cuba, although strained relations between our two nations prevents us from knowing why.

• Members

Originally posted by KATMAN

Is this the same guy who played "While my guitar gently weeps" on the uke? He's good, whoever he is.

I didn't hear that but I recently read that George Harrison was a huge ukulele fan. had a bunch of them and that was the after-dinner entertainment at his place. He'd pass them around for a uke jam session.

• Members

Originally posted by KATMAN

Is this the same guy who played "While my giutar gently weeps" on the uke? He's good,whoever he is.

No, "While my guitar" guy is Jake Shimabukuro. The "Bumblebee" guy is James Hill, a Canadian, the Wayne Gretsky of the Ukulele!

• Members

when i was growing up, my dad, primarily a pianist, also had an old Kent barritone ukelele. I don't know if they are designed to be tuned the same as a mandolin, but he used to tune it to d,g,b,e & it was kind of my first "guitar".

• Members

Originally posted by thatsbunk

when i was growing up, my dad, primarily a pianist, also had an old Kent barritone ukelele. I don't know if they are designed to be tuned the same as a mandolin, but he used to tune it to d,g,b,e & it was kind of my first "guitar".

Your dad knew what he was doing. Baritone ukes are tuned d-g-b-e, like the guitar without the low E and A.

• 3 months later...

Archived