The downside of playing Takamine...

kwakatak

• Members

... is that everything you play sounds like country music. I think that may be because of the "Takamine tone". Eventually you begin enjoying it. :freak:

Oh, yeah - I'm guilty of this. I've got Rascall Flatts up on the iTunes store and my finger is poised over the "buy" button.

Help me! :o

• Members
Originally posted by kwakatak

... is that everything you play sounds like country music. I think that may be because of the "Takamine tone". Eventually you begin enjoying it.
:freak:

Oh, yeah - I'm guilty of this. I've got Rascall Flatts up on the iTunes store and my finger is poised over the "buy" button.

Help me!
:o

Music is music, if it makes your toe tap, buy it.:)

• Members

You're not helping...!
:mad:

*plugs in Strat and dials up the neck pup to get that "twangy" tone. *
:o

Hey! That neck pickup is for SRV, Hendrix and Clapton tone. Buy a Tele if you want to play country.

:D

By the way, country music is cool. There is a whole world of cool songs out there waiting to be learned. The best part is that many country tunes are easy to play and sing. Country music is some of the most popular stuff out at the moment.

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

By the way, country music is cool. There is a whole world of cool songs out there waiting to be learned. The best part is that many country tunes are easy to play and sing. Country music is some of the most popular stuff out at the moment.

Basically all of my friends are into country right now (they are primarily girls). I must say, I'm not a big fan of the Southern drawl in a singing voice, but MAN does Rascal Flatts write some good tunes! "My Wish" and "Me and My Gang" are both really cool songs. I have their CD and am impressed.

Most other country music, though, I don't really like.

Ellen

• Members

Speaking for the Tak dreadnaughts, I think it's because they don't have as scooped a midrange as Martins/Taylors. So you get a guitar that seems to straddle the line between a finger picker's guitar and a strummer's guitar.

I borrowed a friends FP460SC and am *really* digging the Nex body shape. It's a dreadnaught size with a jumbo shape, sits on the body really well and sounds very nice too - also good for both finger and flat-pick styles.

:thu:

• Members

I just moved from KY to FL. I had some Saturday sessions with some old boys while in KY, all Martin born and bred, that included a mountain dulcimer and a couple reso's. Believe it or not, they all hated banjo. That's what we had in common. I just tagged along for the picking fun. Great bunch of old farts just twanging away on their D-28 and up Martins. I'm not a fan of country music ay-tall. But, it really isn't about the music sometimes.

• Members
Originally posted by Hudman

Hey! That neck pickup is for SRV, Hendrix and Clapton tone. Buy a Tele if you want to play country.

:D

My mistake. You're right about the neck pup. I meant the bridge pickup. It just ain't for Dick Dale surfer music anymore!

BTW - I've never played a Tele. I don't think I could handle that kind of GAS.

• Members
Originally posted by pipedwho

Speaking for the Tak dreadnaughts, I think it's because they don't have as scooped a midrange as Martins/Taylors. So you get a guitar that seems to straddle the line between a finger picker's guitar and a strummer's guitar.

I borrowed a friends FP460SC and am *really* digging the Nex body shape. It's a dreadnaught size with a jumbo shape, sits on the body really well and sounds very nice too - also good for both finger and flat-pick styles.

:thu:

You may be on to something there. My Tak dread does seem to handle fingerstyle pretty well. It's no OM, but for some songs that little extra bass just seems to fit.

• Members

OK, I think I got a handle on it. Listening to country isn't something new to me, but it does seem to be cyclical. I find myself listening to country music around this time of year and doing more stuff out in the country. It goes back to high school when I used to listen to Alabama and Lynyrd Skynyrd while driving out to central PA for the Bloomsburg Fair or when I would drive through Amish Country listening to Garth Brooks on some radio station on my way to Penn State. Something about the music and the scenery of central PA rolling by (with lots of farmland) just seems to give me this contented feeling that is pretty hard to come by any other time of the year. :)

Ah, the memories! :cry:

BTW - why no Garth Brooks on iTunes?!? It looks like I may have to drive down to Wal-Mart to get his Greatest Hits for "The Nice Price" ;)

• Members

Originally posted by guitarist21

but MAN does Rascal Flatts write some good tunes!

Uh, far as I know, they are like most other country artists... they mostly rely on non-artist songwriters. It's my understanding that My Wish was written by Steve Robson and Jeffrey Steele and Me And My Gang was written by Jeffrey Steele along with Tony Mullins and artist Jon Stone.

• Members

Originally posted by LiveMusic

Uh, far as I know, they are like most other country artists... they mostly rely on non-artist songwriters. It's my understanding that My Wish was written by Steve Robson and Jeffrey Steele and Me And My Gang was written by Jeffrey Steele along with Tony Mullins and artist Jon Stone.

You got a point there, and I was considering on starting a thread on a relatied topic.

FWIW, I think even with some of the "flash in the pan" (catchy but overall superficial and short-lived) songs that make the rotation on CMT or the local Froggy affiliate the quality of the songwriting in country music is much higher than the crap that's being churned out in the "pop" world.

• Members

You got a point there, and I was considering on starting a thread on a relatied topic.

FWIW, I think even with some of the "flash in the pan" (catchy but overall superficial and short-lived) songs that make the rotation on CMT or the local Froggy affiliate the quality of the songwriting in country music is much higher than the crap that's being churned out in the "pop" world.

It is the difference between songs and what I like to call "vocal riffs" in pop music. Country does have some lousy songs though... Honky Tonk Badonkadonk comes to mind very quickly.

• Members
Originally posted by mmb

It is the difference between songs and what I like to call "vocal riffs" in pop music. Country does have some lousy songs though... Honky Tonk Badonkadonk comes to mind very quickly.

LOL - yeah, that was the song I was thinking of when I typed out "superficial and short-lived". :D

• Members
Originally posted by LiveMusic

Well... then they sing some good songs. :wave:

Actually, a few of the tunes on the album I have (Feels Like Home) were written or co-written by some of the guys in Rascal Flatts. But you are correct about the two that I mentioned.

Ellen

Archived