Looking for tab for kid's songs

kwakatak

• Members

The other day my wife and son and I were sitting around with my Tak on my lap and my wife hit me up with an interesting challenge. She noticed that while my son seems interested in the guitar he seems to be bored with the style of music that I play.

We've also been having difficulty getting him to "come out of his shell". At nearly 3 years of age he doesn't say more than a few words. Sometimes he seems hyper and distracted. Other times he seems completely self-involved and shuts out any attempts for us to engage him. We've have had him undergo a number of evals and regular speech/developmental therapy sessions since April. There's been some progress but not enough IMO so we're always looking for new ways to "engage" him.

OTOH, when I break out the guitar and my son is in a good mood his little face lights up. Sometimes he even grabs his little acoustic guitar and will try to get involved. My wife noticed this as well and suggested that maybe I should use this to get him to learn things and hopefully get him back on track with his peers.

So with that long story out of the way, can anyone recommend me some good childrens's song resources, either online or in print? The arrangements don't have to be very fancy since I'll most likely just be strumming. If something does strike my fancy I'm confident I could take a crack at my own fingerstyle arrangement anyway.

Thanks!

• Members

I'm not sure, but I'll look around. I think it would be cool too.

My son is just over 2 and he isn't the biggest conversationalist yet either. He and my daughter both love music though.

Most kids songs have pretty simple chord structure you can pick up just playing along and trying out your cowboy chords. There is a guy named Dan Zanes on either Nickelodeon or Disney that does some really cool songs(he and his female bandmate play a lot of different cool vintage guitars too). My son has also discovered The Wiggles. After watching them a few times they aren't as creepy as I thought their publicity photos looked LOL. He also loves Doodlebops.

We sing songs from all those shows and I make up an occasional masterpiece (like "Erik is Stinky")

• Members

i don't know any kids song sources, but i may be able to help. i was recently at a fund raiser for an adoption agency and they hired a performer for the kids. he played kids songs on an acoustic guitar and was a huge hit with the kids.

he played some originals, but also play puff the magic dragon and a few beatles songs (like here comes the sun). not necessarily kids songs, but songs that kids can enjoy and get into.

i hope this helped.

• Members

I've got just the thing.

My kids (2 and 4) both LOVE Laurie Berkner. And most of their friends do as well.

Buy one or two of her CDs. Here's their favorite:

http://www.amazon.com/Whaddaya-Think-That-Laurie-Berkner/dp/B00004SR1J/sr=8-5/qid=1164829719/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/104-7972865-5573501?ie=UTF8&s=music

0069584234012_150X150.jpg

They should get a kick out of the CD alone.

Then...learn some of those songs and play them. My kids love it.

Good luck.

Edit: If you have cable, see if you have "Noggin". It's commercial free tv for kids. Instead of commercials, they have breaks where they play music by Dane Zane, Laurie Berkner, and others like them. Typically acoustic-based songs. Kids love 'em all.

• Members

You should get a kick out of this Neil, it involves the Doodlebops and John Mayer.

This is from Mayer's blog:

I just got into my hotel room and started flipping through the channels when I became transfixed by this television show. It's about a young power trio struggling to make it in the crazy world of show business. I really related to that right off that bat, but what took a bit longer to sink in was that these guys (and girl!) actually have some pretty cool songs, if you're 4. And no, that's not a put-down. The song "Hold Your Horses" has a better melodic structure than most tunes on the radio these days, and "Get On The Bus", a thinly-veiled homage to racial segregation in the '50s, is a tune that, while seemingly condoning taking rides with strangers, is really more about just getting on a bus and then going somewhere.

The episode I saw, entitled "Hold Your Horses", is a refereshingly honest portrayal of band dynamics. Moe, the drummer, is less than subtle in letting it be known that he is upset that his solo was cut off at the pass by Dee Dee's guitar run. The conversation ends there, but expect to see raw feelings resurface again in a future episode revolving around the tumultuous task of splitting songwriting credits for "Horses".

I hope when I have kids some day that the Doodlebops are still around, even though history has shown that trios don't stay together for long. I wouldn't mind my kid's first exposure to music having some harmonic and rhythmic substance. Someone behind this show knows a lot about music, and very little about how to keep kids from having nightmares later in life.

http://www.doodlebops.com/

The%20Doodlebops%20for%20program%20guide

• Members

Kwak-

my kids are long grown but recently I started learning Teddy Bears Picnic.

One of the first songs I can ever remember my mother singing to me. I have a tabledit tab I'll send you. (its fingerstyle, but its not too hard.)

Jerry Garcia and David Grisman covered this tune in the early 90s I believe.

A friend's son wouldn't talk at age three either.

Or age four.

At five, he finally found something he felt was worth discussing, and he's been talking a blue streak ever since.

There's almost nothing anybody can say to make a parent stop worrying about their children, but almost all of them grow out of almost all the stuff that almost all of us, as parents, tend to worry about.

Good luck!

• Members

Hud I like the new picture.

And kwak what songs are you looking for here? Like traditional Mary Had a Little Lamb type stuff? Gooch's link had some of that sort of song on it, if you weed through the other songs. Simple arrangements, too. That's probably the best option.

Ellen

• Members

My wife wanted me to agree to take our son to a speech therapist but I refused her. I'm not spring-loaded to professional help every time my kid lags the age-profiled behavioral growth charts. That just compounds the problem in my mind - kid meets stranger, stranger acts strange, kid introverts even more, looks to parents for escape and sanctuary, parents take stranger's side, kid now feels fear where there wasn't any before - and some kids are just late bloomers. Mine was almost 4 before he opened up and man, couldn't shut him up after that. The big surprise was it was then we found out he could read - we read to him tirelessly - and he must have been looking at the words instead of the pictures as we read.

I did learn many songs but I just figured them out. If you know the titles, Google the lyrics and wing it. Mary/Lamb, ABCs, Muffin Man, Itsy-Bitsy Spider, Puff/Dragon, London Bridge, Row/Boat, Old Fashioned Rock-n-Roll (hey, it's lively), Twinkle/Little Star, etc. Christmas songs are great too.

• Members

this is a brilliant thread kwakatak, iv' been thinking about it also, my grand daughter is almost 3 and iv' got her a guitar for christmas, she said she wanted a purple one like "barney" so i got a purple nylon string, shortly after that i was watching barney with her and the guy is pink:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Stackabones

This guy is great!

Yeah, I love his stuff. His bandmate (I don't know her name) sings a lot of stuff in Spanish and she sounds really cool too.

I like their stuff because they don't make their songs overly simple. Children like it and instead of being annoying to adults, its kinda funky and cool.

...and Kwak, bear in mind it's well documented that Einstein didn't talk (at all) until he was 3.

My daughter loves "You Are My Sunshine" Willie Nelson did a version of it so you can look it up anywhere

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

You should get a kick out of this Neil, it involves the Doodlebops and John Mayer.

This is from Mayer's blog:

I just got into my hotel room and started flipping through the channels when I became transfixed by this television show. It's about a young power trio struggling to make it in the crazy world of show business. I really related to that right off that bat, but what took a bit longer to sink in was that these guys (and girl!) actually have some pretty cool songs, if you're 4. And no, that's not a put-down. The song "Hold Your Horses" has a better melodic structure than most tunes on the radio these days, and "Get On The Bus", a thinly-veiled homage to racial segregation in the '50s, is a tune that, while seemingly condoning taking rides with strangers, is really more about just getting on a bus and then going somewhere.

The episode I saw, entitled "Hold Your Horses", is a refereshingly honest portrayal of band dynamics. Moe, the drummer, is less than subtle in letting it be known that he is upset that his solo was cut off at the pass by Dee Dee's guitar run. The conversation ends there, but expect to see raw feelings resurface again in a future episode revolving around the tumultuous task of splitting songwriting credits for "Horses".

I hope when I have kids some day that the Doodlebops are still around, even though history has shown that trios don't stay together for long. I wouldn't mind my kid's first exposure to music having some harmonic and rhythmic substance. Someone behind this show knows a lot about music, and very little about how to keep kids from having nightmares later in life.

http://www.doodlebops.com/

The%20Doodlebops%20for%20program%20guide

LOL! OK, you've outed me as a Playhouse Disney addict. We've (actually I've) been watching that show for the better part of the last two years. I must've seen every episode at least five times!!! :eek:

*hums Oh Canada*

• Members

Originally posted by T'aint

My wife wanted me to agree to take our son to a speech therapist but I refused her. I'm not spring-loaded to professional help every time my kid lags the age-profiled behavioral growth charts. That just compounds the problem in my mind - kid meets stranger, stranger acts strange, kid introverts even more, looks to parents for escape and sanctuary, parents take stranger's side, kid now feels fear where there wasn't any before - and some kids are just late bloomers. Mine was almost 4 before he opened up and man, couldn't shut him up after that. The big surprise was it was then we found out he could read - we read to him tirelessly - and he must have been looking at the words instead of the pictures as we read.

I did learn many songs but I just figured them out. If you know the titles, Google the lyrics and wing it. Mary/Lamb, ABCs, Muffin Man, Itsy-Bitsy Spider, Puff/Dragon, London Bridge, Row/Boat, Old Fashioned Rock-n-Roll (hey, it's lively), Twinkle/Little Star, etc. Christmas songs are great too.

Oh yeah, I'll definitely Google the titles. I've also found a couple of interesting books over at amazon.com.

As for the whole eval/therapy thing, you can tell by the way he acts that he's all there mentally, but he just wants to do things by his terms - which I'm starting to realize is typical for most 2 year-old boys.

Luckily for us these evals and speech/developmental therapy are not costing us a penny and the therapists come to our house. He's actually pretty comfortable with them. Things are due to change once he turns 3 and falls under the authority of a different agency though.

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

LOL! OK, you've outed me as a Playhouse Disney addict. We've (actually
I've
) been watching that show for the better part of the last two years. I must've seen every episode
at least five times!!!
:eek:

*hums
Oh Canada

I've also seen every episode multiple times. Don't they ever make @#$% new ones? They even show the same episodes of Sesame Street over and over and that show has been on for over 30 damn years

P.S....what does it say about me if I think DeeDee Doodle is hot?

• Members

Originally posted by theGOOCH

I've also seen every episode multiple times. Don't they ever make @#$% new ones? They even show the same episodes of Sesame Street over and over and that show has been on for over 30 damn years

P.S....what does it say about me if I think DeeDee Doodle is hot?

LOL!!! :D

I make it a point to turn the TV off if nobody's watching it and get out of the house for fear of going completely xenophobic, but yeah I can definitely relate!

BTW - no comment on DeeDee Doodle! :freak::love::p;)

• Members

How about Genevieve from Choo Choo Soul?

OOHH - now you're talking! I was wondering what her name was. "Chugga, chugga, choo, choo, chugga chugga pshhhh..."

Damn, I need to get out more:freak:

You're not kidding. You and me both!!!

And to carry this even more off-topic, here's a pic of the two little rugrats that force me to watch all those shows. How can I resist? :)

726228061_l.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by mrfreeze

Ralph's World songs would probably be easy to find tabs too.

check out "Bottom of the Sea"

Thanks,

I like some of those songs by Dan Zanes. He's also featured on the Disney channel and I just love the vibe he and his music gives off. I think I'm gonna check this out:

http://www.musicforlittlepeople.com/google/Dan_Zanes/?gclid=CPrOmKXI94gCFRRwSgodviTTvg

Archived