50th Anniversary Song (Freeman...)

guitapick

• Members

Well...if I keep waiting to record another take for this tune I wrote and played for my in-law's 50th wedding anniversary, I'll be writing one for their 75th. And I promised Freeman I'd let him hear it.

My daughter, Ava, sings on it. She also had a bit to do with the writing of it. Played it on my National with Pearse 13s.

As I said: we only got one take in the studio, which limited things a bit....so it's a bit rough. But we like it:

http://media.putfile.com/Butterflies-and-Dragonflies

I CLOSED DOWN THIS LINK FOR THE TIME BEING. Sorry...PLEASE SEE PG 2

Most of my friends have had no problems with the site...but two haven't been able to get the tune to play. Please let me know...

Bob

• Members

I've got a Mac and haven't had any problems...but that's what happened to my friend, too (and he's got a Mac).

I just deleted and then uploaded it, again (per their advice). Hopefully that works. Please try again.

Otherwise, I'll try another service. :confused:

• Members

Excellent...kinda has an early Shawn Phillips vibe!

I'd've mixed your daughter's voice a little more prominently and used a bit less reverb, though...a bit hard to make out the words.

Thanks, guys. It's great to get comments (esp. the positive kind) from fellow players.

You're right on it, Terry. I've been planning on reducing the reverb and raising her voice or cutting the guitar level since I heard the disk on my home stereo...but my friend who did the recording on his Pro-Tools setup (for a six pack and bottle of white wine)(which we shared) has been on the road and very busy. Once he's back, we've agreed to get together again. He's fun to work with.

Like I said: its a bit rough. But we like it.

You know...I'm going to find another site that will play the tunes more consistently. I couldn't get it to play from the Mac I'm on right now.

• Members

Bob, thank you. This made my morning. Give Ava a big hug, she's a sweetheart.

Glad you liked it, Freeman. Sorry it's taken so long. It'll be a pleasure to give Ava that hug.

What's up with that reso you're thinking of building? Sounds like you've got a perfect setup for just that job.

• Members

Glad you liked it, Freeman. Sorry it's taken so long. It'll be a pleasure to give Ava that hug.

What's up with that reso you're thinking of building? Sounds like you've got a perfect setup for just that job.

You better go back and edit that "sweetheart" like I just did before you hug her.

And the TI-cone is simmering on the back burner - I've got the autocad drawing done and found a source for the titanium but then things got a little weird around here....

• Members

Finally got to listen to the whole thing -- very nice! That's some intricate picking, and wonderful use of dynamics and tension / release. I totally hear the 'fairy tale' quality that knockwood mentioned. Great playing and a great composition!

(P.S. So no other Mac users had to do the 20-page thing?)

• Members

Thanks, Ellen.

I'm enjoying listening to your tunes as I type. And: I'm going to shut that link down for now and set up something on myspace.com. You've inspired me.

I'm glad I inspired you! I didn't even do anything! :D

Myspace has a very clear set of advantages and drawbacks. The best thing I ever got out of Myspace was the networking- I've gotten tons of shows, while staying in touch with some friends. Also, Myspace allows you not only to post your music, but communicate to your audience; you announce shows, you can write blogs about how they went, you can thank folks for coming, and you can even sell songs now, I think.

Disadvantages: a big one is that you can only have four songs. Personally, I'd like to be able to have a space for my originals and a space for some samples of my studio work. However, I'm working on making a studio "sampler" track (just one song with a bunch of samples and a narrative) so that may not be a huge problem any more. Another disadvantage is that you have to be really careful with your password and who you become virtual "friends" with. There are spammers all over the place.

For me, the advantages outweigh any problems I've had. My experience with Myspace has been almost entirely positive.

Ellen

• Members

It appears that the controversial Myspace is blocked by firewalls at most schools and businesses. I can't access any Myspace pages at work, and anonymizers are blocked as well.

Another free option that might be worth checking out is http://www.nowhereradio.com . I posted two banjo recordings there last year (http://www.nowhereradio.com/brahms117/singles) if you want to see the format. I forget what the limits are, it might not be more than 4 songs either.

• Members

Well now...I have a feeling that MySpace had a spammer with my name, because they're refusing me a membership. Sent them an email and waiting to see what's up...

Might have to go back to putfile.com.

I closed down the Putfile link for the time being. A friend of mine told me I'm better off using a site with streaming rather than downloading. I'm such a newbie on this stuff...so I went to MySpace, got rejected, and now I feel like a criminal. :(

• Members

It appears that the controversial Myspace is blocked by firewalls at most schools and businesses. I can't access any Myspace pages at work, and anonymizers are blocked as well.

Another free option that might be worth checking out is
. I posted two banjo recordings there last year (
) if you want to see the format. I forget what the limits are, it might not be more than 4 songs either.

Mr. Brahmz (a fine, fine composer),

I just registered with nowhereradio.com. Do you know if you can do streaming there as opposed to downloading?

Bob

• Members

Do you know if you can do streaming there as opposed to downloading?

Yes, I believe lo-fi and hi-fi streams are the default. You have to check off 'Allow all user download' in the settings for each song if you want listeners to have that option. I think it's a good idea to enable the download option.

Listeners will be asked to choose their media player the first time they use the site.

(It's a little confusing to navigate after you login -- go to Artist Administration and then Album Manager, in case you're having any trouble. The link for your songs will be http://www.nowhereradio.com/yourloginnamehere/singles .)

• Members

I'm looking forward to checking out your tunes. Can't right now, though.

Just curious: why do you like the idea of enabling downloads? I spoke with someone who's on MySpace, garageband, sells tunes on iTunes and another site, advised to stick to streaming in case I choose to go that route in the future.

I don't think the tune I'm posting here will be a "big seller"...but I do have some stuff which is more mainstream.

Like I said: I'm new to posting tunes on the net. Looking for info...

Later.

Archived