Planet Waves humidifier WTF?

theGOOCH

• Members

I have one of the cheaper pw humidifiers (the one you put in the soundhole between your strings). After using it for about a month the sponge has a whitish coating which I assume is mold/mildew. This shouldn't happen should it? Don't they use a material that resists that?

I use DI water, so it can't be a mineral buildup

• Members

Maybe your atmosphere is damp enough that the sponge isn't letting any water go? Maybe it's mildew after all. Just a thought.

Well, I have a hygrometer and it is reading 33% That's why I took my guitar off the wall and put it in its case...I guess I need to contact Planet waves

• Members

Gee, GOOCH - you got me there. I don't want to say what I've been putting in mine but let's just say that it's not the same color it once was either.
:o

Wow, that caught me off guard. I'll agree not to ask if you agree not to volunteer any more info on that subject:D

• Members

From their site...

My humidifier has developed a white build up, or mold. Is this a problem?

You should be using distilled water in your humidifier. Not doing so can lead to mineral deposits building up at the holes where the humidity is released. You should be able to wipe off this build up with a damp cloth or perhaps by gently using a Q-tip.

Unfortunately mold is a natural occurance that we do not have control over. If the environment is right, these units can develop mold. Mold should not have any adverse effects, but we recommend that you remove it by means mentioned above.

Oh well

• Members

It's definitely not mold. Mold would be black. It's more likely the minerals that are left in the process of making the "Oasis" the material that's inside the plastic housing. It routinely emits a whitish buildup that has nothing to do with mold or mildew. I have six of them and they've all developed the white haze after a while. The Oasis that florists use will do the same thing.

I just scrape the edge slits with an X-Acto knife and use a small drill bit to clean the stuff out of the larger holes (just a slight spin with my fingertips...NOT in an electric drill)

Dan

• Members

Not crazy about the PW humidifiers. I've had a few - still have 'em, just don't use 'em anymore. Had that problem with every one of 'em. At first, figured it was my fault because I was dumb and used tap. But even after I bought new humidifiers and switched to distilled water, same problem.

I use Dampits. Zero problems.

• Members

"You should be using distilled water in your humidifier. Not doing so can lead to mineral deposits building up at the holes where the humidity is released. You should be able to wipe off this build up with a damp cloth or perhaps by gently using a Q-tip."

I don't have the Planet Waves one, but the one that came with my Epi appears to be rather similar and there was a little piece of paper in the case that said that a little discoloration was normal... nothing about whitish coating, though.

Ellen

• Members

Well, my PW humidifier is in one day, hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have a guitar again, Radio Shack has d/ced their hygrometer, but replaced it with what looks like a better one for $20, you can keep memory of humidity or temp settings, below %20 humidity it just reads lo, I read an article, that says this situation is worst for guitars , super cold outside with 50% humidity and heat inside which drops the humiity more, for example ,at the radio shack store, the temp read 73 degrees, but the humidity was lo, meaning leass than 20% or dangerous for guitar, I'm wondering, I only have a solid top, everything else is plywood, people say that plywood is more sturdy, I guess in this situation it doesn't matter.

Here is a great article on guitars and humidity, will pick up the hygrometer later so I can see what;s going on in my guitar case as opposed to the rest of my apartment

Article

http://www.pjguitar.com/article2.htm

RS Hygrometer

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?summary=summary&techSpecs=techSpecs&currentTab=summary&custRatings=custRatings&features=features&accessories=accessories&productId=2049773&support=support&tab=features

Archived