Whats the longest you've gone between string changes?

Dr. Porkchop

• Members

I have some nano webs that have not been changed for over a year. Yes they sound like crap and yes I am lazy about string changes. Just wondering what is the longest time you have gone between string changes. Anyhow as a side note, why do strings start to sound like crap after a while? Must be some kind of physics or something.

• Members

Literally years - some of the guitars are lucky to be played 1-2 times a year and don't seem to deserve new strings for that little playing. (Maybe that's the first sign to get rid of the guitars with dust on the cases?)

I think mine hold their tone quite well (no dirt, little oil, etc) or maybe its so gradual that I just think they still sound good.....

• Members

Believe it or not...........

34 years!!!

My parents purchased a Yamaha guitar for me to learn on when I was seven. I have played that same guitar for that long with the same strings (decided about 10 - 12 years ago that I wasn't ever go to change the strings unless one broke). And yes I have had other guitars over the years but this one, to me at least, sounds just as good as ever.

Yes, I do strum it pretty heavily, fingerpick, etc. Just a great beater guitar.

• Members

My brother broke his high E on his Squier Strat this week. He still had the original string set; the one that comes with the guitar when you buy the Fender beginner bundle. He'd been using that set for 4 years ! He was playing sloppy on a A pentatonic scale when the string litterally clicked off exactly on the fret where it was pressed against.

• Members

I have some nano webs that have not been changed for over a year. Yes they sound like crap and yes I am lazy about string changes. Just wondering what is the longest time you have gone between string changes. Anyhow as a side note, why do strings start to sound like crap after a while? Must be some kind of physics or something.

bout the same. i'm embarrased sometimes that my strings are so old. no excuse. just lazy.

Archived