Solo acoustic songs - Best ones?

Pr3Va1L

• Members

What are good acoustic songs to play alone?

I can sing somewhat well and I wanna learn songs to play this summer on my acoustics...

They could be fingerstyle songs too... Just acoustic songs that don't sound too empty with just 1 guitar!

Thanks!

• Members

Here are a few that I do solo:

Life By the Drop-SRV

Girl-Beatles

Folsom Prison Blues-Cash

Across The Universe-Beatles

Me and Bobby McGee-Joplin

You've Got To Hide Your Love Away-Beatles

Friend Of The Devil-Grateful Dead

Elderly Woman-Pearl Jam

You Never Call Me By My Name-DA Coe

Outside-Staind

Good Riddance-Green Day

Cotton Fields-CCR

Friends In Low Places-Garth Brooks

Weed With Willie-Toby Keith

Your Cheatin' Heart-Hank Sr

Wish You Were Here-Pink Floyd

Fearless-Pink Floyd

Oh Darling-Beatles

Pink Houses-Mellencamp

etc....

• Members

Embryonic Journey-Jorma Kaukonen.

In case your not familiar with his music Jorma's a fingerstyle player and you have to know what you're doing to play his stuff but that said you can buy his book/cd (notation and tab)at his site which has this song and others.It's recommended for the upper end of intermediate to advanced players.

• Members

Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton

Fire and Rain - James Taylor

More Than Words - Extreme (Nuno Bettencourt)

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Landslide - Fleetwood Mac

1,2 & 5 are high on my list; and I used to play 3 now and again. Never was a Floyd fan though.

• Members

1,2 & 5 are high on my list; and I used to play 3 now and again. Never was a Floyd fan though.

I was a big Floyd fan in high school but Led Zeppelin overshadowed it by a mile.

If you ever try Floyd you have to start with "Mother", "Hey You", "Run Like Hell" and "Comfortably Numb". Don't forget "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" either.

Speaking of Zep, if you got the stones try learning Stairway to Heaven all the way through. Then there's Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You which is nearly as long and though the same chord progression repeats throughout I'd have to say it's more challenging because the underlying melodies are constantly changing and building.

As for Extreme, give "Hole Hearted" and "Rest in Peace" a try. Nuno has some serious chops, but then he doesn't have to sing!

Just thought of some more too:

"All Along The Watchtower" - either the "trippy" Hendrix version or the original Dylan, take your pick. The changes are pretty easy and can be boring but if you focus on the lyrics they'll cue your playing. By the time two riders are approaching you should be wailing away at the strings. :cool:

"Can't Find My Way Home" - Blind Faith

- the secret is to wear tight pants to pull off the Steve Winwood vox. :p

"The Joker" - Steve Miller

- a classic for around the campfire

Dave Matthew's got a few good ones too:

- "Crash Into Me" - just remember to stretch out those fingers 'cuz it's mostly a bass melody playing over a ringing E5 chord

- "Lie Inside Our Graves" (hums "when I step into the light..." while playing air guitar)

- "Gravedigger" - what's with the death thing and this guy? :idk:

BTW - this is not PUI; I'm just reaalllly punchy to the point of insanity! :freak:

• Members

I was a big Floyd fan in high school but Led Zeppelin overshadowed it by a mile.

If you ever try Floyd you have to start with "Mother", "Hey You", "Run Like Hell" and "Comfortably Numb". Don't forget "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" either.

Speaking of Zep, if you got the stones try learning Stairway to Heaven all the way through. Then there's Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You which is nearly as long and though the same chord progression repeats throughout I'd have to say it's more challenging because the underlying melodies are constantly changing and building.

As for Extreme, give "Hole Hearted" and "Rest in Peace" a try. Nuno has some serious chops, but then he doesn't have to sing!

Just thought of some more too:

"All Along The Watchtower" - either the "trippy" Hendrix version or the original Dylan, take your pick. The changes are pretty easy and can be boring but if you focus on the lyrics they'll cue your playing. By the time two riders are approaching you should be wailing away at the strings.
:cool:

"Can't Find My Way Home" - Blind Faith

- the secret is to wear tight pants to pull off the Steve Winwood vox.
:p

"The Joker" - Steve Miller

- a classic for around the campfire

Dave Matthew's got a few good ones too:

- "Crash Into Me" - just remember to stretch out those fingers 'cuz it's mostly a bass melody playing over a ringing E5 chord

- "Lie Inside Our Graves" (hums "when I step into the light..." while playing air guitar)

- "Gravedigger" - what's with the death thing and this guy?
:idk:

BTW - this is not PUI; I'm just reaalllly punchy to the point of insanity!
:freak:

Been playing Stairway all the way through for over 25 years (now my 12 year-old can play most of it at this point)! Same with Can't Find My Way Home (I've read that the main part was played by Winwood, not Clapton). All Along the Watchtower is an electric staple for me: learned both the Hendrix and Dave Mason versions years ago. The Joker is a cool song, though I never tried to play it. I'll look into some of the others you recommended.

• Members

Merle Haggard's - If we make it through December

Jim Croce's - New York is not my home

Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again (Naturally)

Alone Again, Naturally brings back memories; I was around 20 or so years old (I thin) when that song came out. I'm tempted to say he was a one hit wonder, but I think he had a follow-up hit, can't remember the name though...Oh, Madge or something is ringing in my brain.

• Members

Alone Again, Naturally brings back memories; I was around 20 or so years old (I thin) when that song came out. I'm tempted to say he was a one hit wonder, but I think he had a follow-up hit, can't remember the name though...Oh, Madge or something is ringing in my brain.

I was raised on my Father's LP collection, which included Jim Croce, Stevie Wonder, Blood Sweat and Tears, and the aforementioned O'Sullivan. I gained such a fondness for that song, however at a young age, paid no mind to the very depressive lyrical content.

Had I not occupied myself with Transformers and GI Joes while listening to the records...I would have probably fully absorbed O'Sullivan's crooning and would be popping Zolofts right now.

• Members

What are good acoustic songs to play alone?

Many great suggestions here...but for what purpose? To play truly alone--just for you, or to play for others? And then, what would be the venue? I think this is important, based on my experiences playing (and as audience) at open mikes. The most effective songs at "my" open mike venue tend to be pretty dynamic songs. Gentle lilting stuff like "Tears in Heaven" wouldn't work too well...and in fact, anything fingerstyle doesn't cut through the ambient noise very well.

Tonight, I heard a performer do Pearl Jam's "Black". That worked great.

• Members

Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton

Fire and Rain - James Taylor

More Than Words - Extreme (Nuno Bettencourt)

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Landslide - Fleetwood Mac

More than words has always been a mental block for me. I can play it fine but when people start singing I totally lose it. Only song that does that to me..

Archived