Anyone have any experience with good soundhole pickups?

AugTPD

• Members

Well, I've about had it with undersaddle pickups. Struggling with string balance, sounding like poo, and they still have feedback problems. So..... I think I may have to get a soundhole pickup to make me happy. I think a little sacrifice in "pure acoustic sound" in exchange for all the headaches with piezos is ok. BTW I play all kinds of stuff from fingerpicking to heavy strumming.

So I'm looking at a few such as the Baggs M1 Active, Fishman Rare Earth, EMG ACS, and the Shadow SH145. They are all around the $150-$175 range. I definitely want an active pickup so the output will be hot enough to run without a preamp if I am too lazy to drag one with me. The Baggs, Shadow, and EMG have volume controls and adjustable pole pieces.

I had a Baggs M1 passive that I used in a dual source setup on an Alvarez that I sold. I didn't think it sounded all to great but it may have been the crappy onboard preamp that was causing that. Anyway, I welcome any and all suggestions, knowledge, past expereience stories, etc....

• Members

I'm very happy with my Fishman Rare Earth Single Coil.

It is very hot and is quite easy to get sounding acoustic. Feedback has not been an issue but I normally play solo and the volume is not extreme.

There are some folks that have had a noise problem with the single coil but I have yet to experience it. I guess I've been lucky in the places I've played and had good circuits.

• Members

There are some folks that have had a noise problem with the single coil but I have yet to experience it.

I have the humbucking version of the Fishman Rare Earth pickup and it gets rid of the noise problem you might experience. Its just normal single coil hum, nothing crazy.

The Fishman Rare Earth pickup, whether you get the humbucker or the single coil, is a great soundhole pickup. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Ellen

• Members

I've heard people get great sounds out of the neo-D, and also ye olde standard Sunrise.

I think people have fallen in love with UST's because of their invisibility. Tone-wise, they've never really gotten the overtones of an acoustic, in my view. Even great UST's sound like they can transmit the attack and sustain characteristics of a particular guitar, but not the real nuances. I've heard UST's that sound the same in a dreadnought as a 000. I've got a Dean Markley Sweet Spot in my Seagull, and even though it gives a ton of output and is very feedback resistant, I can't say it's exactly true to the guitar's tone.

Bridgeplate transducers like the i-Beam and Pure Western get closer, but to my ears, a good soundhole pickup is still the cheapest way to get a good tone. That rubber-bandy tone of most UST's never really sounded "acoustic" to me.

• Members

Bridgeplate transducers like the i-Beam and Pure Western get closer, but to my ears, a good soundhole pickup is still the cheapest way to get a good tone. That rubber-bandy tone of most UST's never really sounded "acoustic" to me.

Amen to that, my brother. I have switched stage guitars--from a very nice Takamine F-series (with UST and programmable onboard pre-amp) to an older Yamaha jumbo into which I installed a passive I-Beam. I was never really happy with how the Tak sounded as a stage guitar, particularly when played hard (It was fine at home, with lower volume and more nuanced playing style).

To overcome the problem of lugging around a pre-amp while at the same time keeping batteries out of the guitar body, I got the little Baggs Gigpro that can clip to your belt or pants pocket. I am really happy with the sound.

• Members

I'm thrilled with my Sunrise. The only two reasons I never bothered trying the M1 are because I can't stand the vanilla color, and the Sunrise has been the de facto mag pickup for decades. If it's good enough for Kottke, Thompson, Mitchell, Colvin, Harris, Richards, Hedges, etc., I think it will do just fine for my hack work.

Having said that, I blend mine with just a smidge of signal from an iBeam and it rounds out the tone beautifully. If I had to go with just the Sunrise I'm sure I'd be fine, but an SBT or UST of some sort to make the tone bloom is highly recommended.

• Members

I have the humbucking version of the Fishman Rare Earth pickup and it gets rid of the noise problem you might experience. Its just normal single coil hum, nothing crazy.

The Fishman Rare Earth pickup, whether you get the humbucker or the single coil, is a great soundhole pickup. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Ellen

Do you use a pre-amp in addition to that? I know it's not needed, but I have heard that it is recommended.

• Members

Just for an update, I contacted the guys at Shorline Music (they really know about everything when it comes to acoustic amplification) and they strongly recommended the Baggs M1 Active over the Fishman Rare Earth. Even though I am not all to crazy about the color of it I know that if the sound is right I'll get over it really quickly.

They just happened to have an open box M1 Active for $110. Full warranty and everything, just $60 off since it had been used once. I'll give that a go and see how happy I am with it. At $110 I could almost turn a profit on Ebay!

• Members

I own the Baggs M1 active and can only offer stellar reviews. I have it hardwired into my Epiphone AJ500M and it sounds great. I got over the color after I heard how good it sounds. Also, as an electric guitar player, I think it has that cool classic "P90" look.

I'm also glad to hear about the Rare Earth and Neo D experiences. I have another acoustic that I'm looking for a soundhole pickup - looking to do something different.

• Members

Also maybe too late, but my 2 cents ..

I have had an unsatisfactory experience with an inexpensive soundhole pickup, the Dean Markley Pro-Mag Plus (passive single coil). I didn't like the sound (found it "muddy" for like of a better term) and boy, was it ever noise-sensitive. Given anything less than PERFECT conditions, the thing would pick up interference and buzz like a son-of-a---------.

A previous poster mentioned Schatten - I use one of their soundboard transducers (passive) on various instruments and find it both versatile and surprisingly good sounding, especially on my mandolin. Probably not for the purist, but just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers !

• Members

I own the Baggs M1 active and can only offer stellar reviews. I have it hardwired into my Epiphone AJ500M and it sounds great. I got over the color after I heard how good it sounds. Also, as an electric guitar player, I think it has that cool classic "P90" look.

I'm also glad to hear about the Rare Earth and Neo D experiences. I have another acoustic that I'm looking for a soundhole pickup - looking to do something different.

:cool:

+1 On the M-1. Close to perfect.

As for the color, Takamine sells a Tak-branded M-1 in black.

• Members

Do you use a pre-amp in addition to that? I know it's not needed, but I have heard that it is recommended.

I can't answer for Ellen for her humbuster but I run straight to the PA with my single coil. The single coil pick up is hot and I often switch in the 20dB cut to make it easier to control. I am probably going to go with a pre-amp sometime in the future to try help the Dean Markley Sweet Spot I have in another guitars and will likely run the single coil through it. Maybe it will tame the Fishman just a bit.

• Members

Also maybe too late, but my 2 cents ..

I have had an unsatisfactory experience with an inexpensive soundhole pickup, the Dean Markley Pro-Mag Plus (passive single coil). I didn't like the sound (found it "muddy" for like of a better term) and boy, was it ever noise-sensitive. Given anything less than PERFECT conditions, the thing would pick up interference and buzz like a son-of-a---------.

A previous poster mentioned Schatten - I use one of their soundboard transducers (passive) on various instruments and find it both versatile and surprisingly good sounding, especially on my mandolin. Probably not for the purist, but just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers !

I have an old Pro-Mag and it's a very nice sounding pick up. I've heard the Plus model is not as good but have never tried one. I bought the Pro-Mag probably 25 years or more ago and carry it along in case of a failure on my Fishman. I've dragged it out a couple of times when the batteries in the Fishman suddenly gave up the ghost. The main reason I stopped using it is simple because I got tired of fighting the cord.

• Members

I have an old Pro-Mag and it's a very nice sounding pick up. I've heard the Plus model is not as good but have never tried one. I bought the Pro-Mag probably 25 years or more ago and carry it along in case of a failure on my Fishman. I've dragged it out a couple of times when the batteries in the Fishman suddenly gave up the ghost. The main reason I stopped using it is simple because I got tired of fighting the cord.

Hey Dak ... I've actually sometimes wondered if my ProMag Plus wasn't damaged early on after I bought it ... I seem to VAGUELY remember it having been relatively buzz-less at one point ...

Oh well, water under the bridge. It was only CAD$65 and I still have it. I use my A&L A/E for amplified acoustic needs these days, but I may dig out the Dean Markley again one day, pop into my Yammy and see what it does ... :D

Cheers !

• Members

I have heard good words on the Seympour Duncan Woody XL. Qite like the Shadow 145 - but just a little less 'metallic' or bright, and a bit more--well, woody and warm

But it's all a matter of taste as the man said as he kissed the cow...

• Members

Ellen

+1

its a great pickup!

• Members

I can't answer for Ellen for her humbuster but I run straight to the PA with my single coil.

When I'm using the Fishman Rare Earth, I'm most likely playing a show with a large-ish band wherein I'm competing for volume and trying to cut through a mix. In a band situation, I generally don't use any external preamp because I'm not quite as worried about the nuances of the sound. I don't usually use the Rare Earth in a solo situation (I use a K&K Pure Western Mini and I do use an external preamp).

Ellen

• Members

I put an inexpensive DeMarzio in an old Guild D-25. With the help of a JoeMeek pre-amp/compressor, it blows away the built-in Fishman Prefix pickups I have in other guitars. Even when I plug either Fishman into the JoeMeek - the DeMarzio sounds better. In a solid Mahogany guitar, the DeMarzio is a good performing pickup. There is less feedback than there would be with a Spruce top.

Archived