Comment on these Martins

cc999

• Members

Personally (purely my opinion, what I'd do), I would stay away from the HPL Martins. Glue and sawdust with veneers over them kind of freak me out...

If I had $700 for a guitar, I'd look at a used Larrivee 03 series, maybe even new if you can find a good deal. Blueridge, Epiphone Masterbilt and Guild GAD are other options.

Any of the guitars you listed with a "1" in the model has a solid spruce top, but in this price range I'd start looking at all solid-wood guitars.

I personally don't care for Martin's HPL guitars...they sound...different than other Martins.

• Members

What Mocztal said. I've played a few of the X series Martins, and they sounded decent - pretty good for glue and sawdust. Not sure how to differentiate build quality, though, given that the underlying construction is - well - glue and sawdust. There are better choices for $700, including used Martin 15 series.

• Members

I totally agree on the low end Martins -They have a nice sound but their not great guitars -Some of the mid to upper end larrys are resonable , a steal if you find them used ( or a close out model ) - im not a big fan of Taylors , but their decent instruments - especially the upper end models - Do yourself a big favor and stay away from guitars made in the orient , their just copies .

• Members

Another +1 for the 15 series, which are probably even better used anyways since they take a good 3- 4 years to really start opening up. Can't argue with Larrivee 03's or a Taylor either.... you should test ride all 3 of these options if you can before buying.

• Members

I gotta agree with everyone else, cc999.

I played a Martin DXK2 (or some model number like that -- koa veneer on HPL, dread) that I really liked. Good guitar for strumming, but very weak on single string playing. But it sounded interesting.

But for the price, you could get an all-solid -15 Series Martin, a Guild GAD (the GAD-25 and -30 are marvelous), maybe even an -03 Larrivee.

I like some of the "X"-Series, but their durability is a big question mark for me. Plus the price tag is a little outrageous. You do pay for the name.

• Members

Another +1 for the 15 series, which are probably even better used anyways since they take a good 3- 4 years to really start opening up. Can't argue with Larrivee 03's or a Taylor either.... you should test ride all 3 of these options if you can before buying.

+1. I see used D-15's at GC from time to time and they are usually priced at $599. This guitar sounds really nice after it ages a few years.

• Members

The Martin D-1 is probably the only one I could recommend for a low priced martin, and they go for 400-500 on ebay. The larrivee 03 is good, the epiphone masterbuilts aren't that great, which was dissapointing after trying one because I was hopeful. I think some of epiphones regular solid top only's sounded better than the masterbuilt, go figure... and I had a taylor 310ce onece which was pretty good.

• Members

Taylor 210Es are great, especially if you can get the old solid wood model, saying that, the new electronics on the the laminate Rosewood sides and back have some controls for the new Expression UST, for 100 and 200 series, definitely better than Martin X series guitars

Jim

• Members

I would also pass on those in the original post. Too many better options at that price point. Larrivee's are just a touch out of that price range, but the Guild GAD and Epiphone Masterbilt are better than those particular Martins (not better than Martin, in general, by any means, but those are not what most would consider quality Martins).

Archived