Baby Taylor or???

Glenn F

• Members

Hi there,

I am thinking about getting a 3/4 size travel guitar, and am thinking of getting a Baby Taylor. I played one about 6 years ago, and it sounded great (for a small guitar) and played well, too. Are there any comparable 3/4 size guitars out there, with nice tone, easy playability, ebony fretboard, etc?

Thanks!

Glenn

• Members

I'd really recommend looking at a Larrivee P (parlor) model. I just got one a few weeks ago and while the factory set-up is a little stiff (I'm having it re-set at the store) the sound is heavenly -- much more real bass and nice bright mid and high ranges -- and it's much more solid and I think better built than the Taylor. All solid woods, no screws on the fretboard, etc. It's a little bigger and pricier, too, but I am certain that if you get the Baby Taylor (or a baby Martin, etc.) you'll just find yourself pining for a real guitar after a few strums or bars. I do NOT have that problem with my Larrivee -- I find I keep going back to its sound. Mind you, I have nothing against Taylors, I have one of the first 12s he built and I will never get rid of it. But it's no comparison and I'll bet you end up some day soon getting something more substantial if you do get the Baby Taylor. (FYI, I like the sound of the Taylor Big Baby but I just don't think it's substantial enough to be there for the long haul.) Good luck.

• Members

I'd really recommend looking at a Larrivee P (parlor) model. I just got one a few weeks ago and while the factory set-up is a little stiff (I'm having it re-set at the store) the sound is heavenly -- much more real bass and nice bright mid and high ranges -- and it's much more solid and I think better built than the Taylor. All solid woods, no screws on the fretboard, etc. It's a little bigger and pricier, too, but I am certain that if you get the Baby Taylor (or a baby Martin, etc.) you'll just find yourself pining for a real guitar after a few strums or bars. I do NOT have that problem with my Larrivee -- I find I keep going back to its sound. Mind you, I have nothing against Taylors, I have one of the first 12s he built and I will never get rid of it. But it's no comparison and I'll bet you end up some day soon getting something more substantial if you do get the Baby Taylor. (FYI, I like the sound of the Taylor Big Baby but I just don't think it's substantial enough to be there for the long haul.) Good luck.

I love the larivee palor models, the only thing is in the last years or so the thing got pretty damn pricey, and for that kind of cash you could by a full size geetar. Too bad cause it's a great guitar.

• Members

I'd strongly suggest the small Alvarez model as an alternative. I've played both at length and prefer the Alverez by far. All solid woods, if memory serves, with a solid Engelmann top. Been a while but think the model # was MSD1. There was also a cedar top version but I have no experience with it. Same price range as the the Taylor, but IMO a whole lot more guitar.

• Members

Thanks for your input!

The Alvarez has my interest, although it might be a bit of a hassle buying it here in Germany. I'd have to buy it sight-unseen/unplayed, and I am a bit wary of that. I am going to email the shop and see what their return policy is.

Funny, never heard of Crafters, until a friend of my wife dropped in from London last weekend. I dunno if it was the particular guitar, but it buzzed up the neck from about the 7th fret, and didn't stay in tune very well. In any case, I'd just like a small guitar for going out in the park and playing, without having to lug around my Taylor 310 in its hardshell case, or have something that will easily go in the storage rack on a plane.

Again, thanks, and,

Cheers!

Glenn

Edit: Ok, I've ordered the Alvarez. Will pay

• Members

I see I'm too late in my reply. I just joined the forum to post a reply, but I didn't read to the end of the thread to see that you've already ordered a guitar. Oh, well, I'll still post a comment in case anyone else is looking for a 3/4 size guitar.

I was in a local music store last week an picked up a Simon & Patrick Parlor. Solid spruce top, laminate cherry sides and back. I was very impressed with the sound that came out of this small guitar. I was not in the market for, or looking for a small guitar; I only picked it up since I seldom see S&P guitars. S&P is made by Godin Guitars, who also make Seagull, Norman, and a few other brands. It's sound and size really made me want this guitar, but it was marked $410, and I don't have that kind of money to buy a guitar impulsively. I usually think long and hard, and hem and haw, and take forever to buy a guitar (I have a Taylor 110 and a Martin D12X1, both from eBay). Then the sales guy told me he could sell it for half that price. I played it side by side with a big Baby Taylor, and a Taylor 214 (which is not a comparable guitar, but I was curious how they differed (I really like 214s)). It wasn't anything like the Taylors, but for a smaller guitar, I prefered the S&P to the big Baby (and I like Taylors (but not regular Babys)). This parlor guitar is especially nice for finger picking. I was so surprised at the balanced tone in this small package. I've always been a full sized guitar, deep sound box kind of guy. I decided I've got to get this thing. So this morning I sold my bang around guitar (Washburn D100), and with another $100 I had saved, I'm going to get it.

That was a ramble, just to say if anyone is looking for a 3/4 size, try to find a parlor guitar made by Godin to check out (Simon & Patrick, Seagull, maybe Norman).

Scott O

Archived