Embarrassing NGD for Very Sick Man

rjoxyz

• Members

I may need to voluntarily admit myself to a nervous hospital...and maybe take my wife with me. While waiting for a Morgan Monroe M-50 to ship from Kentucky, I go to a local Guitar Center this afternoon. Not necessarily a bad thing...

Flashback:

About 3 weeks ago I am at another Guitar Center with my wife to buy a Vox amp. The teenage shredders were out in force so we sought shelter in the acoustic room until they left. I rarely grab a Taylor off the wall, but I see one marked "Clearance" at $1350 (no case). It was a GS Rosewood/Spruce. No electronics. Sit on the stool, pull out a pick and the next thing you know, my entire opinion of Taylors changes. Even better fingerstyle. My wife is impressed, and she rarely pays enough attention to have an opinion. This thing had a full bass, with all the mid and treble clarity Tayor is known for. One of the best sounding guitars I have ever touched...maybe THE best to my ears. I leave, but think about that guitar daily.

Today I decide to call and see if it is still there. First I call a closer Guitar Center where I know the guitar manager. He tells me he recently got the same guitar in, but it has the Expression System electronics. I tell him about the other one at $1350 and he hesitantly tells me he will sell this one, with the electronics, for that price($1450 with case). I call my wife and she concedes to my sickness. I think she is becoming co-dependent. Before, she was just an enabler.

I am sitting here looking at the thing after changing strings and playing for an hour or so. It appears this is a 2006 model (as was the other one), which may explain the price reduction to some degree. It was renamed the GS8 (from GSRS) for 2007, but I think that is the only difference. Elderly sells it for $2400 and other places around $2200-2300. I felt I got a great deal.

The pace at which I have been purchasing guitars the last couple years is in fact embarrassing. I am prone to compulsiveness, but this is getting nuts. :o

I think I will go plug it into the Crate...

• Members

You need another acoustic amp.

Oh, I need so much more than that---you've never heard me play. Like putting lipstick on a pig. Of course, it's the same with most of my guitars. Should have put all this money into lessons...many years ago.

• Members

. . . I call a closer Guitar Center where I know the guitar manager. He tells me he recently got the same guitar in, but it has the Expression System electronics. I tell him about the other one at $1350 and he hesitantly tells me he will sell this one, with the electronics, for that price($1450 with case). . . I am sitting here looking at the thing after changing strings and playing for an hour or so. It appears this is a 2006 model (as was the other one), which may explain the price reduction to some degree. . . I felt I got a great deal. . .

You got a great deal. Don't second guess yourself on it. I am truly envious rjoxyz. Wow!

Good job!

RT1:thu:

• Members

I think I will go plug it into the Crate...

Ibanez has a rather nifty little 10 watt acoustic guitar amp (IBZ10A) with adjustable reverb that can kick you out of the room for about a C-note. Just thought I'd help the cause.

• Members

Ibanez has a rather nifty little 10 watt acoustic guitar amp (IBZ10A) with adjustable reverb that can kick you out of the room for about a C-note. Just thought I'd help the cause.

Believe it or not, I have that very amp too!! :) (actually the 30 watt Crate is a decent acoustic amp IMO, even if not up to Stackabone's standards)

I'm not kidding you guys--I think a university psych. department could do a case study on me and this guitar thing. Of course, I like to think I am just doing my part to fuel the economy.

• Members

Believe it or not, I have that very amp too!!
:)
(actually the 30 watt Crate is a decent acoustic amp IMO, even if not up to Stackabone's standards)

I'm not kidding you guys--I think a university psych. department could do a case study on me and this guitar thing. Of course, I like to think I am just doing my part to fuel the economy.

Okay. Disarm yourself. In the past year I've spent $10K on guitars and related stuff and I'm not done yet. So, where's the line in the sand?

• Members

RJ,

How would you compare the Taylor to an L-03? I saw an L03 at buff bro for $750. Maybe I should relax and play some more guitars like Taylor.

I'd spend around $1400, because I'm going to dump my nice PA stuff.

• Members

I've actually fallen for that a few times. Dark bar, 3am, you know the drill.

Congrats, man. That price is ridiculously good.
:thu:

Well, I told you about our hookers (though our bars close at 2am, so we get to be more discerning)...

Thanks. I would not have been tempted at over $2000, though that would not be overpriced given the guitar and what appears to be very good electronics. Given the price and the fact it's tone/build quality really grabbed me, I couldn't pass it up. Funny though, I don't find the neck any more playable than the 1 3/4" neck on my Larrivees. Not sure where that reputation came from. The neck does not seem particularly low profile.

• Members

RJ,

How would you compare the Taylor to an L-03? I saw an L03 at buff bro for $750. Maybe I should relax and play some more guitars like Taylor.

I'd spend around $1400, because I'm going to dump my nice PA stuff.

If you can get the same deal I got at $1350-1450, I say go for it (the case on the damn thing looks like it should be a couple hundred bucks or so). I really didn't need the electronics, but that was not a consideration, as the price was great, even without the Expression System.

I have a mahogany L-03 and was actually thinking the Taylor may replace it in some ways. Though it is rosewood, it is so clear and articulate in the mids and trebles (one of the L-03's strong points ) in comparison to most larger bodied rosewood guitars, that the Larry may sit more. The bass is comparable to the Larry (not quite at the level of a Martin dread), but with that rosewood darkness (if that makes sense)--perceived as a bit deeper than the L-03, maybe. I suppose the trebles are a bit more "sparkly" (always think of Rainman when I say that) on the Taylor.

Of course, this is all based on one evening with the Taylor and the infatuation that a new guitar fuels. Don't sell the Larrivee short. At least as good a value as this Taylor, without falling into a ridiculous deal like I did.

• Members

Wow - congrats man, Taylors rule. People at HC usually, from my experience anyway, find that their partners complain when GAS hits; the fact that your wife liked it is surely a good sign, it must be a great guitar. :thu:

• Members

Believe it or not, I have that very amp too!!
:)
(actually the 30 watt Crate is a decent acoustic amp IMO, even if not up to Stackabone's standards)

I have the 30W Crate.. I like it alot! You should buy the wife some serious 'just because' gift. If I bought two guitars (never mind good guitars) in a month. I would have to hide the Kitchen Knives for 6 months.

• Members

I have the 30W Crate.. I like it alot! You should buy the wife some serious 'just because' gift. If I bought two guitars (never mind good guitars) in a month. I would have to hide the Kitchen Knives for 6 months.

Actually, I do think of her and show it with gifts "just because" at times. I have bought several new guitars lately (all low-mid priced) with the proceeds of guitars I sold on eBay. This includes the Morgan Monroe. I think she gave me the pass on the Taylor, because she saw how it grabbed me and she liked it too. The Taylor was purchased with "new money" and the first guitar of any significant expense like that in a few months.

My wife is great and though she does not understand some of my obsessions, tolerates them, as she said last night, "I know how happy it makes you." She is either the greatest wife...or having an affair with the entire neighborhood, allowing me to distract myself with my hobbies. Either way...:thu:

• Members

What a deal! I'm really happy for you; the GS is awesome, and I love the Expression system.

I came across a couple of good Taylor deals this past week: a brand new 712 for $1,449 and a brand new 710 for $1,599.

It's been all I can do to avoid pulling the trigger on one or the other, not because I need either, but just because the deal seems so good. If anyone else is interested, PM me and I'll tell you where to look.

• Members

Congrats on the new Taylor. I am becoming a big fan of Taylor guitars.

Which Guitar Center did you get it from?

I am having a hard time finding the time to play guitar. It's tough with a new born baby in the house. I didn't realize how much I played until the little guy got here.

• Members

Hud--I bought it at the Southfield store, where they sort of know me and deal pretty fairly with me. The Taylor that got me GASsing was at the Canton store (fairly close to you, isn't it?)--my sister-in-law lives near that one and I stop by whenever we visit.

I have tried to be more open-minded about Taylors for awhile and put aside some of the prejudices. Still weren't my cup of tea. This GS destroyed that prejudice. It really is that good (to my ear). The hype is justified.

As to the newborn and "kid stuff", I am 48 years old and we have no children. I have many guitars and a little time to play them, but they will never wipe the drool off my chin or bring me more Depends. :) (PM me if you find more time to play and want to take guardianship of one of mine for awhile--I'm serious. I know you had to make some sacrifices recently)

I really do struggle with a little guilt with my excesses. My sig line is not an exaggeration. But, as my wife observed, it does make me happy. :D I really appreciate good craftmanship and tone, even if my playing is not worthy of it.

DonK and everyone else---thanks for the congrats and good wishes. This one has me more excited than the first Martin I bought.

• Members

Hud--I bought it at the Southfield store, where they sort of know me and deal pretty fairly with me. The Taylor that got me GASsing was at the Canton store (fairly close to you, isn't it?)--my sister-in-law lives near that one and I stop by whenever we visit.

I have tried to be more open-minded about Taylors for awhile and put aside some of the prejudices. Still weren't my cup of tea. This GS destroyed that prejudice. It really is that good (to my ear). The hype is justified.

As to the newborn and "kid stuff", I am 48 years old and we have no children. I have many guitars and a little time to play them, but they will never wipe the drool off my chin or bring me more Depends.
smile.gif
(PM me if you find more time to play and want to take guardianship of one of mine for awhile--I'm serious. I know you had to make some sacrifices recently)

I really do struggle with a little guilt with my excesses. My sig line is not an exaggeration. But, as my wife observed, it does make me happy.
biggrin.gif
I really appreciate good craftmanship and tone, even if my playing is not worthy of it.

DonK and everyone else---thanks for the congrats and good wishes. This one has me more excited than the first Martin I bought.

I bought a Fender Strat from the Southfield store in 1994. I get a kick out of the customers that shop there. I helped a guy in a suit pick out a Gibson J-185 EC from that store a couple years ago. I went in there during my lunch hour. He watched me play a couple acoutic guitars before approaching me. He told me he was going to be taking his first guitar lesson later that day and he could use some help picking out a guitar. I played several guitars in the "premium room". He thought the Gibson sound the best. He thanked me and took the guitar to the register and bought it with his Amex card. I work near the Allen Park store. I pop in there every so often to test drive guitars and or kill some time during my lunch break. I played a Taylor 414 that blew me away a few months ago. I was shocked at how great it sound and how easy it played. I still manage to play a little bit everyday, but I was averaging 2-3 hours per day until 7 weeks ago when the little guy got here. I leave my Yamaha hanging on the wall. I grab it every chance I get. We are going to be spending a weekend at my friend's lake house in a couple weeks. It's an annual event with 8 families camping in RV's and tents. I am lining up some jam sessions before the event with my buddy that plays guitar. We are planning on putting a small set list together. Last year we winged it. It was a little bit rough to say the least. Neither one of us are good at remembering lyrics. My best advice to tell you is to keep playing. If you remain inspired, you will continue to improve. After 23 years of playing, I finally accepted the fact that I will never be the next Jimi Hendrix. I am actually semi-satisfied with my guitar playing skills most days. My new weakness is singing. ;-) Thanks for the generous offer.

• Members

I fell madly in love with this very same guitar about three weeks ago !

With-out a doubt,it is the BEST sounding guitar that i have every heard !

Even at $2,000.00,it is a great deal.It sounds better than the Martins and Gibsons selling for thousands more.

If you go to " Youtube.com " and type in " Taylor GS ",you will see a guy play his Rosewwod/Spruce guitar.It sounds INCREDIBLE !!!!

You got a hell of a deal and i am extremely JEALOUS ! :thu:

Play alittle Neil Young " Harvest Moon " in my honor !

Thanks Bob:wave:

• Members

I fell madly in love with this very same guitar about three weeks ago !

With-out a doubt,it is the BEST sounding guitar that i have every heard !

Even at $2,000.00,it is a great deal.It sounds better than the Martins and Gibsons selling for thousands more.

If you go to " Youtube.com " and type in " Taylor GS ",you will see a guy play his Rosewwod/Spruce guitar.It sounds INCREDIBLE !!!!

You got a hell of a deal and i am extremely JEALOUS !
:thu:

Play alittle Neil Young " Harvest Moon " in my honor !

Thanks Bob:wave:

Bob--Thanks. I have been playing this thing all night while watching Tigers baseball on TV. The more I play, the more I realize this is an amazing guitar. At the risk of overstatement, it does seem to have everything. I put a set of DR Sunbeams in 13-56 (my favorite PB string) on it last night and now that they are settled in, the tone is amazing. Truly deep and resonant bass and the most articulate mid/treble tone I have heard, without being overly bright or brittle (my enduring complaint about Taylors). The mids/trebles are "sweet". I don't know another way to describe it.

I will leave "Harvest Moon" for Gil to play for you on YouTube.;) I will give you a little "After the Goldrush" before I go to bed though!

• Members

how i discovered the Taylor GS.

I was in the G.C. store up here in Towson, Maryland,i went into the closed " Rolls Royce Room " to try-out the high-end models.The GS was hanging on the wall,i ran my pick over the strings,and the guitar sang-out to me " Forget-the-rest ! I'm-the-best ! ".

Yes....it was love-at-first-sound.Plus the body shape looks alittle like Selma Hyeck. Ha ha ! :lol::love:

As you know,the shape is a custom Bob Taylor design.:thu:

Anyway.....since i'm only a beginner,and i'm going to Jamaica for two weeks on Aug. the 23th,i instead bought the gorgous Yamaha LL6 guitar.:cool:

It retails for $899,the Stores and the enternet sells it for $650.00.I got it out-the-door for $440.00 !:D

This guitar is much brighter sounding then the GS,but it has that "sustain" bass resonance that the GS has.

Anyway it was great to correspond with you.Bob :wave:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

" Well i dreamed i saw the silver spaceships flying.....ect....

And i felt like getting high.......ect.... " ole' Mr. Young [ "THE" acoustic GOD ! ]

Archived