OK, so now that we have the covers out of the way

kwakatak

• Members

... does anybody besides the elusive Cldplytkmn write their own stuff? I'm curious to hear what others here have come up with.

I'm trying but it's not so good. They say to write what you know, but it all seems to come out all wrong. Upbeat stuff sounds sappy. Ballads and the like sound completely depressing. It's kind of like bad country music - or Journey without the falsetto. :(

• Members

... does anybody besides the elusive Cldplytkmn write their own stuff? I'm curious to hear what others here have come up with.

He is elusive. Where's he been? Just listened to his CD at work today.

I write my own stuff, but I've been getting into a rut lately. Been a long time since I wrote a song I liked. Hopefully going to a music college is going to help that.

Ellen

• Members

Give it a shot Kwak...as soon as I am confident with this whole process I am going to post an original song too. I am not all that prolific a writer myself but I would like to try my hand at more of it. I am primarily a folk/blues guitarist and I always feel that whatever I write in that idiom has already been done way better than I could ever do. I tend to write non-blues kind of pop tunes...lol...oh well who knows?

Good luck dude and keep playing :)

OGP

• Members

Just heard from him and he is alive, well and very busy. We came up with a plan to get the Album off dead center (speaking of covers and orignal work)

:idea:

With all this talk of videos, is an HCAG DVD next? :D

Glad to hear he's alive and well. And can't want for the album.

Ellen

• Members

I'm trying but it's not so good. They say to write what you know, but it all seems to come out all wrong. Upbeat stuff sounds sappy. Ballads and the like sound completely depressing. It's kind of like bad country music - or Journey without the falsetto.
:(

That's predominantly what I do. The covers I know are those I remember, and not all that well, from 30 years ago. The other day I sat down and tried to remember which covers I used to do - which artists - and I came up with very few I could fake it through. And, I'm not so sure if the lyrics are accurate or if I filled in the voids with my own. Simple matter of checking but I can't work up the motivation to do that.

I prefer original work these days so that's where I'm at now. RT1 collaborated on one piece that, IMO, was my usual acoustic medocrity until he got hold of it. Very inspirational. That is the direction I have been hoping for from this place - collaboration. His take on the song was worlds distant from mine and it really opens a person's eyes. That can only be gained through original pieces where all points of the compass are musically open to interpretation. I don't discount all the great work done to render existing pieces in alternate tunings as instrumentals. Some of those renderings make you want to go slap the original artists. But, there's still a blueprint that has to be held to. With originals there's no confinements to such paper, as well as people all around capable of interpretative collaboration.

What do you mean "not so good"? Have you even given a listen to music these days, generally speaking? JT threw out a life-saver thread asking for country music to get back to it's roots. He chose his words - I interpret them here. Anything you do in this era of ear-bleeding music has got to be better. And, I think we're at a great time to do that.

I don't mean to get windy here but I've even turned my opinion about Gil and his NY focus. Why is it that his popularity, such as it is, is remarkable? I do believe it might just be the seeds of an acoustic - roots music - ressurgence. I hope I'm right. So, I say everyone should pry as many originals from themselves as possible. One leads to another and the work just gets better. Hell, I'd even give away some of the instrumentals I've written to back lyrics in a collaboration.

• Members

I have written a bunch of originals. Started when I was a teenager and have quite a few posted on SOundclick (I don't post covers there). My biggest success was (and still is) reaching #10 on Neil Young's list of 261 videos at his website. I also am getting some pretty high charts positions on Soundclick as well. I don't have evryhting posted yet and new ideas are coming fast.

• Members

I have written a bunch of originals. Started when I was a teenager and have quite a few posted on SOundclick (I don't post covers there). My biggest success was (and still is) reaching #10 on Neil Young's list of 261 videos at his website. I also am getting some pretty high charts positions on Soundclick as well. I don't have evryhting posted yet and new ideas are coming fast.

Post your originals here, Gil. I think if you put as much effort into them as you do Ny's stuff there's surely some (non-Harvest) gold in there somewhere. Besides, I've listened to some of the originals you've posted and though there's a NY influence, the lyrics are great and they're all yours.

bbarkow says his originals produce a certain negative pressure but I like to think he's his own worst enemy. I think that about most who describe themselves negatively. Suckage is at the bottom of Maslow's musical Theory of Hierarchy, anyway, and thus a rite of passage to the next level. May as well get that laundry done here - good a place as any.

P.S. - Good news about Clip. The weight has shifted.

• Members

Post your originals here, Gil. I think if you put as much effort into them as you do Ny's stuff there's surely some (non-Harvest) gold in there somewhere. Besides, I've listened to some of the originals you've posted and though there's a NY influence, the lyrics are great and they're all yours.

bbarkow says his originals produce a certain negative pressure but I like to think he's his own worst enemy. I think that about most who describe themselves negatively. Suckage is at the bottom of Maslow's musical Theory of Hierarchy, anyway, and thus a rite of passage to the next level. May as well get that laundry done here - good a place as any.

P.S. - Good news about Clip. The weight has shifted.

Thanks Cripes, Actually I have posted many of my originals here before (besides the one on Neil Young's site) but they usually just disappear without comment so I thought there was no interest. I'll post some more originals gradually and meter them out over time so as not to offend anyone (who am I kidding? SOMEONE will always be offended no matter how lightly I try to tread! LOL)

• Members

Well I'll be! I think we are actually going to need a new forum section called "Acoustic Showcase". For example the "Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum" has a section like this that is quite active. That way those who want to talk about GAS and gear only won't have to wade through the sharing posts!

• Members

:wave:
Me too! I'd love to collaborate with anyone. Guitar, bass, mandolin, drums, whatever.

Ellen

I will give you that, Ellen. You are the fearless one for sure - kinda pioneering in certain respects.

What I would do is to throw a piece out there (here) in the form of an upload link and if it eeks out some interest from anyone I can send a .wav of it on disk. That's the simplest way. Don't worry, I'm not into selling mailing lists. A quick PM will get it on its way. I did that with RT1 and he sent it back finished with his arrangement of it. Now, since a computer crash I will have to download another PC-based studio to get things rolling. I lost everything I didn't save to CD and there were many pieces I was toying with. I will have to record them again.

• Members

I started writing original tunes a little before I sent my cuts out for the HCGF Album about 6-9 months ago. At this time I have 16 songs written.

When I perform these at open mikes, I have been getting a very positive response which is a relief. I must say that this has been an immensely rewarding experience especially since I never suspected I had it in me to write songs that anyone else would actually enjoy.

I would love to post some songs but I have dial up and it is just too much of a PITA.

I recently signed up with TAXI and have started sending songs out with the (slim) hope that someone might be interested in buying one (or more.) I'll let you guys know if I ever hit the jackpot.

• Members

I try to write something every day; a verse, chorus, hook, whatever. I have a handful of songs written but not yet recorded. Here is one that I wrote and recorded last week. It needs a lot of work, but here it is:

Nice Irish vibe you got there. Are ye 'in Irishmen?

• Members

That's predominantly what I do. The covers I know are those I remember, and not all that well, from 30 years ago. The other day I sat down and tried to remember which covers I used to do - which artists - and I came up with very few I could fake it through. And, I'm not so sure if the lyrics are accurate or if I filled in the voids with my own. Simple matter of checking but I can't work up the motivation to do that.

I prefer original work these days so that's where I'm at now. RT1 collaborated on one piece that, IMO, was my usual acoustic medocrity until he got hold of it. Very inspirational. That is the direction I have been hoping for from this place - collaboration. His take on the song was worlds distant from mine and it really opens a person's eyes. That can only be gained through original pieces where all points of the compass are musically open to interpretation. I don't discount all the great work done to render existing pieces in alternate tunings as instrumentals. Some of those renderings make you want to go slap the original artists. But, there's still a blueprint that has to be held to. With originals there's no confinements to such paper, as well as people all around capable of interpretative collaboration.

What do you mean "not so good"? Have you even given a listen to music these days, generally speaking? JT threw out a life-saver thread asking for country music to get back to it's roots. He chose his words - I interpret them here. Anything you do in this era of ear-bleeding music has got to be better. And, I think we're at a great time to do that.

I don't mean to get windy here but I've even turned my opinion about Gil and his NY focus. Why is it that his popularity, such as it is, is remarkable? I do believe it might just be the seeds of an acoustic - roots music - ressurgence. I hope I'm right. So, I say everyone should pry as many originals from themselves as possible. One leads to another and the work just gets better. Hell, I'd even give away some of the instrumentals I've written to back lyrics in a collaboration.

Thanks Cripes for the kind words. But you limit yourself considerably in this statement. I think that when the HCAG album is loosed, listeners will hear one VERY well-written song with a couple of guitar backing tracks. You did good, my brother. I just followed along. But I've got to admit, I had a lot of fun doing it.

RT1:)

• Members

I try to write something every day; a verse, chorus, hook, whatever. I have a handful of songs written but not yet recorded. Here is one that I wrote and recorded last week. It needs a lot of work, but here it is:

I agree with spruce goose. I think you are well on your way to having a good song. Your recording needs more mids and lows in it. Are you using a twelve string?

RT

• Members

I agree with spruce goose. I think you are well on your way to having a good song. Your recording needs more mids and lows in it. Are you using a twelve string?

RT

sorry to double post but, no it's not a 12; it's either my mom's old dread or one of my Waldens. I wish I knew how to EQ the songs better in Audacity, any tips to balance out the sound?

• Members

You need to get a small mixer with phantom power and a large diaphragm condenser mic. I use a Audio Technica AT2020 and I think it works well. I also use a ART Tube MP mic pre-amp sometimes. I also have Shure SM57 microphone that does a great job.

The next thing you can do is free. Use a couple of microphone stands or some clothes line and some blankets and make yourself a sound booth. I know it sounds crazy but using the blankets will stop the transients (reflective sounds) that your mic is picking up. That will get rid of the 12 string sound and will clean up your recording considerably. You'll have to experiment with it to get a clean set up but with some time, you will find that it will be worth it.

The next thing I would suggest is to purchase a book on home computer recording or just do some Google searches and you will find a lot of tips out there.

My Sound card is a SoundBlaster X-fi xtreme. It has a built in EQ. I record in Cakewalk and then re-record with the X-fi to MP3, using the EQ on a custom setting. I start out with the general bend for "acoustic" setting and tweak it to my liking. I like to scoop the mids a little and usually cut a few decibels around 250 (this is where guitars have a tendency to boom). Something tells me the audio console in your soundblaster card has a EQ, you may just have to look until you find it.

Anyway, I hope I helped a little. PM me if you need more info on this.

BTW - KWAK. Sorry for the thread-jack. We now return you to your original topic.

RT1

Archived