• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

fur peace ranch.

pomoroy.

jorma.

embryonic journey.

country blues.

about $900 for 4 days. enough to queer this deal for lots of forumites here. But he gets some great talent in there. Ed Gerhard is there in Oct I think.

I'm heading up to Boyne Mtn first think in the morning. All day jam up there and David Grisman headlining @ 8:00pm tomorrow night.

youall have a bodacious weekend, dudes and dudettes.

• Members

I want a campfire and some beer. 's about all...armless chair to sit and play guitar in.

If we rent a hall or a hotel with a banquet room, we'll be talking some serious cash....Knockwood tossed an idea at me in an email: Summer Camp. What do these summer camps do when they're not busy? They have those little cabins, a lake and woods and stuff.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Nothing fancy. Maybe a big party tent to keep the sun and rain off (I have a buddy that rents party tents). Plenty of beer and armless chairs to go around. We can grill and order pizzas. Hey, I'm a simple blue collar guy.

The perfect spot would be in someone's backyard (as long as they have enough room) or some type of campground.

I may have the perfect spot if this ends up being a small regional event with 10 - 12 people. My inlaws have a 36' camper (travel trailer) in a year round campground out in the Irish Hills near the NASCAR Michigan International Speedway (west of Ann Arbor - apprx. 55 minute drive from Metro Detroit Airport). The camper is nice (3 years old). It is located on a shady lot with plenty of space to spread out around a fire pit in armless chairs. It has air conditioning, heat, a full kitchen, 2 refrigerators (1 inside and one on the deck), TV and sleeping for 7 (3 full size beds and 4 single beds [2 bunk beds]). They have a double lot. There is a 24' pop up camper available that will sleep 4 singles. It has heat. So I have comfortable sleeping for 11 people (no one will be sharing a bed - I don't roll like that - :lol:).

The campground is private, and all of the spots are taken up year round. I'm not going to kid you, it's far from fancy and it does have a bit of redneck flair. Some of the campers have been there for 25+ years. There's no pool or tennis courts. The bathroom / shower house is apprx. 100 feet from their camper. The bathrooms / shower house isn't the cleanest place in the world, but they serve their function well enough. Noise is never a factor and the people are cool. Heck, my wife's uncles rent the lots on each side of my inlaws camper. We can sit around the bonfire and play all night long. You will feel comfortable staying the weekend there if you were in the service, in a frat, served prison time (;)), went to football training camp, been in a hunting camp, camped in the infield at a NASCAR race or any other rustic male gathering. It's perfect for guys like JT and me :D.

There are hotels in near by Brooklyn Michigan (apprx. 15 - 20 minute drive) for those that tend to be more civilized. They tend to be pretty inexpensive ($50 - $70 per night) during non race weekends. There are only 3 race weekends at MIS between June and August. Those would be the only weekends we couldn't use the campground.

We can buy food to grill during the weekend. It could prove to make it a very inexpensive, laid back weekend.

I still think Mark's ideal is good too. Ann Arbor is a very cool city. Even Michigan State fans can enjoy hanging out there. Ohio State fans may have problems. We could do a combo weekend. Spend some daylight hours in Ann Arbor and do the nights at the campground.......

Again, these are just random thoughts.

• Members
Ann Arbor is a very cool city. Even Michigan State fans can enjoy hanging out there.

Not necessarily! :mad: (I enjoyed the A2 Folk Festival this past winter, but had to pretend I was in Greenwich Village). Not gonna go along with Stackabones dissing our home state (I have Texan friends so expect that kinda attitude)...but Spain sounds better than Ann Arbor to me too.;)

• Members

Not necessarily!
:mad:
(I enjoyed the A2 Folk Festival this past winter, but had to pretend I was in Greenwich Village). Not gonna go along with Stackabones dissing our home state (I have Texan friends so expect that kinda attitude)...but Spain sounds better than Ann Arbor to me too.
;)

I'm a U of M fan until they play Michigan State. I like the local underdog. ;) I usually like State grads over U of M grads. They tend to be more down to earth. ;)

The folks in Texas think Texas is it's own country. :D

Texas folks are cool.

• Members

Tents and Colman stoves at TAH's place. If he's got room for cows he's got room for this bunch.

Otherwise I'm with the regional bit. The Amp Garage regularly has regional amp fests and trades CDs of the occasion.

Whatever, we sold the MH, if it's on the water on the west coast we'll float there.

Dan

• Members

I still think Mark's ideal is good too. Ann Arbor is a very cool city. Even Michigan State fans can enjoy hanging out there.
Ohio State fans may have problems.
We could do a combo weekend. Spend some daylight hours in Ann Arbor and do the nights at the campground.......

Again, these are just random thoughts.

Would we really want Ohio St. fans to attend such an event!!!?? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist (of course, they could attend). The other day when I was getting gas, a lady pulled up to the pump behind me and, seeing my Michigan Alumni license plate frame, made it a point to let me know she was a Buckeye.

My response, "I'm sorry." :lol:

• Members
). They have a double lot. There is a 24' pop up camper available that will sleep 4 singles. It has heat. So I have comfortable sleeping for 11 people (no one will be sharing a bed - I don't roll like that -
:lol:
).

I think this sounds awesome and totally sufficient. I would be up for this or Ann Arbor. And if there's more people, I would be fine sleeping in a tent if there's room.

Ellen

• Members
Would we really want Ohio St. fans to attend such an event!!!??
:D

Sorry, couldn't resist (of course, they could attend). The other day when I was getting gas, a lady pulled up to the pump behind me and, seeing my
Michigan Alumni
license plate frame, made it a point to let me know she was a Buckeye.

My response, "I'm sorry."
:lol:

I'm hoping that we can work past that sort of issue: I'm a Penn State alumni. :thu:

• Members

I think this sounds awesome and totally sufficient. I would be up for this or Ann Arbor. And if there's more people, I would be fine sleeping in a tent if there's room.

Ellen

We will have plenty of room in the campers if it's a regional gathering. I don't think we would draw more than 12 people. There are 4 Michigan guys that I am aware of (Queeq, Whale, Rjoxyz and myself). You and JT are close enough. Kwak and Knock would make the trip. That's 8 that are likely to attend based on location and interest. We may have some others in Ohio and other near by states. We may draw guys from further away too (Florida? Texas? hint, hint). Some people may chose to stay at the Motel 8 in Brooklyn (15 minutes away). I could comfortably fit 20 people at the campsite with no problem. I can provide free sleeping space for apprx. 11. We have room to put up tents too. Heck, I may be able to grab an additional camper for the weekend. It will all depend on 2 main factors: timing (which weekend - I would have to work it out with my father inlaw) and interest.

As stated previously, the campground is not a fancy resort, but it would allow us to play guitars in peace. Some of you folks may consider it as "roughing it" (note: as stated previously, there is electricity, indoor plumbing, TV, microwave, etc, etc....). It's located in the "middle of nowhere", but it's still only an hour drive from the airport and apprx 30 minutes from Ann Arbor. It would also help make it an inexpensive weekend and provide a slighty redneck, Woodstock vibe. :thu:

Again, I am not planning this. I was just throwing out an idea. I will be in 100% support of any decision agreed upon by the group. I will be unable to commit to this proposed plan until we get dates and a solid list of attendees. It would have to take place on a weekend that my inlaws don't plan to be there.

• Members

Okay. I hate the thought of having to mix in with Yankees but if you guys don't mind dumbing down your conversational grammar and keep to one-two syllable words I might be able to fit in. We use kitchen language south of the Line. I will not, however, succumb to flatpicking.

• Members

All welcome, will have accommodation consisting of a 9 roomed cave house so we'll just have to bunk up!!;)

Not necessarily!
:mad:
(I enjoyed the A2 Folk Festival this past winter, but had to pretend I was in Greenwich Village). Not gonna go along with Stackabones dissing our home state (I have Texan friends so expect that kinda attitude)...but Spain sounds better than Ann Arbor to me too.
;)

• Members
I'm hoping that we can work past that sort of issue: I'm a Penn State alumni.
:thu:

No problem with the Nittany Lions. It's a MSU/U-M/OSU thing. Spartans don't like Buckeyes either, unless they are playing the Wolverines. Oddly, same thing with Notre Dame.

BTW, wanna know how to tell if a guy went to U-M ? Give him 5 seconds and he'll tell you. :rolleyes: (sorry kenadyan...sorta).

• Members
No problem with the Nittany Lions. It's a MSU/U-M/OSU thing. Spartans don't like Buckeyes either, unless they are playing the Wolverines. Oddly, same thing with Notre Dame.

BTW, wanna know how to tell if a guy went to U-M ? Give him 5 seconds and he'll tell you.
:rolleyes:
(sorry kenadyan...sorta).

I can understand the U-M/MSU rivalry thing. We have something similar with Pitt. We don't care for OSU either since they're also in the Big Ten, but we also don't care for Notre Dame.

It makes family get-togethers uncomfortable. My wife's cousin went to ND and her uncle is always bragging on the Irish. :rolleyes:

My wife's friends, and BIL and FIL both went to PITT. They seem to have this jealous little brother thing going against PSU. We went to a Pitt/NC state game in Three Rivers Stadium the year before they imploded it and the cheerleader were frequently leading anti-PSU cheers. I don't get it: we never even play each other anymore. :confused:

• Members

BTW, wanna know how to tell if a guy went to U-M ? Give him 5 seconds and he'll tell you.
:rolleyes:
(sorry kenadyan...sorta).

Don't think there's much crowing in either South Bend or Ann Arbor today. Especially in Ann Arbor.

Bill

• Members

Don't think there's much crowing in either South Bend or Ann Arbor today. Especially in Ann Arbor.

Bill

Yeah, they got beat by Appalachia University yesterday 34-32. The way the BCS works that's seriously gotten bite them in the @$$ in the standings.

I'm not saying that PSU's game yesterday was all that impressive, though the final score was 59-0 (PSU.) In the BCS a win is not necessarily a guarantee of moving up in the polls unless you completely snowball your score and beat up bad on the other team. That's what JoePa did to Florida Int'l yesterday and I tuned out (I had to listen to it on the radio) shortly after halftime. I love the Nittany Lions, but even I couldn't hang around for the carnage. I would have much rather watched the MSU game because things weren't decided until the final seconds of the game from what I've heard.

• Members

Bill

I have to say, that at least my lowly Spartans managed to thump their season opener patsy 55-18.

"Hail, Hail to Appalachian State, the victors and the best..." :D
(I just can't help myself after a 30 year inferiority complex)

• Members

I have a love / hate relationship with U of M football. I always loved them when Bo was the coach. They were confident, yet humble for the most part. They also beat Ohio State on a pretty regular basis.

The Wolverines seem more cocky under the leadership of Lloyd Carr. They take the field like they have the lead before the coin toss. I also don't care for Carr's play calling. He makes questionable decisions on a regular basis.

I still get fired up when I hear the Michigan fight song. I cheer for U of M when they play every team but MSU. Michigan State has a severe disadvantage when they play U of M in football. The deck is always stacked against them. Therefore, I pull for the under dog.

BACK ON TOPIC:

I promise that college football will be one of the last things we will discuss if the jam is in Michigan. We will be too busy playing guitar and discussing the "Best guitar under $300" ;).

Archived