String breakage at the tuning machines

dhoenisch

• Members

I need some advice on a string breakage issue.

I purchased a Carlo Robelli 12-string guitar about a year ago, and for the first 9 months, it was fine. I use light guage 80/20 bronze Websrings on it, and they have done fine every time I've changed them. Well, one day while playing, my high G string broke right at the tuning machine post. Well, the strings were about a month old, so I changed them out with another set. Well, that G string broke at the post, and so did one of the E strings, again, at the post. So, I figured that maybe I would try a set of D'adarrio GPX, or whatever they are, and immediately, the high G string broke at the post. I grabbed a banjo string in a pinch, and used that, and it was fine. Well, after just two or three weeks with those strings on, I was tuning it up, as I do every time I play it, and the high D string broke at the post of the tuning machine.

What gives? Why, after 9 months of no strings breaking am I having strings break on me now? I'm afraid to string it up anymore since it's costing me so much money.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, the nut seems fine to me, I mean, I don't get any pinging when tuning it, and it doesn't look like anything is getting pinched. They are tuned the normal way a 12-string should be tuned (actually, the high G breaks shortly after it hits an F). The posts on the tuners don't seem sharp to me either.

I tune this guitar, and all of my other string instruments the same way as on this link: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing2.html

Does anyone have any suggestions, or other things I should look at? Should I just buy a new set of tuning machines?

Thanks,

Dan

• Members

It sounds like you have burrs or sharp grooves on the tuning post (sharp spots on the edge of the string hole on the post). Strings can wear sharp grooves in the post over time.

Use a small needle file and clean up the outside edges of the string holes.

• Members

It sounds like you have burrs or sharp grooves on the tuning post (sharp spots on the edge of the string hole on the post). Strings can wear sharp grooves in the post over time.

Use a small needle file and clean up the outside edges of the string holes.

A long time ago my Takamine 12 had exactly this problem at the same string -- the octave g. This was exactly the problem, too -- I used a very fine sandpaper rolled up tightly, but a small needle file should work, too. Also, don't buy a whole new set ($$$), buy a single replacement string from a dealer that sells open stock strings. You might try replacing the octave G with a slightly higher gauge, too -- 10 instead of 9, etc.

Good luck, nothing like a 12 string, esp. now that electronic tuners have eliminated that first half hour of tuning every time you take it out of the case.

• Members

you have a sharp edge on the tuning post - Id get a very fine piece of sandpaper, something like 1200 wet and dry and carefully round the outer edges of the holes on the pegs ( both sides )--take your time and be very carefull - id also cover up the rest of the guitar with a towel .

A decent luthier can check for other problems - as well as do this for you if your not the adventurous type.

• Members

Actually the best tool to use would be a small countersink designed for steel. I think they come in 45 and 60 degrees - they look like a cone with one or two cutting edges. The problem with any of theses methods (file, sandpaper, countersink) is that you will damage the plating on the post. Many tuners are countersunk by the manufacturer.

You don't want to change tuners if you don't have to - 12 strings use smaller ones than normal (like the Grover Mini's) and if you have 6-on-a-plate they are hard to find. Of course you will need two sets.

Remember too that the G string is the smallest - often a 0.009. Some players change to a 0.010 (same as the high E in most light sets) - that way you only need to buy one size of spare. You probably won't be able to tell the difference.

• Members

Thanks you all for your advice. Freeman, I like your approach the best as it's the fastest and easiest. I guess a trip to the neighborhood Ace or Menard's, than to the workshop is in order.

Also, like I said, it's been the G, E and D strings that are breaking, so there are at least three tuning machines that I will have to do this to, but I may as well do all 12. May as well since I'll be restringing the entire guitar again anyhow, seeing as how the D string is broke, and the G and E are bound to break again.

Dan

• Members

Sure you're not twisting the strings or causing some extra stress on the string where it goes into the eyelet?

Nope, I string all my instruments (3 6-string, 12-string, banjo, dobro) the same way, and this is the only instrument I have this issues with. It's a cheap Carlo Robelli, so even though the posts on the tuning machines don't seem sharp, after the advice of adding a bevel on the holes of the posts made me think back, and being cheap, I doubt that was done on these tuning machines. I'm going to give it a try this weekend (since that's the only time I can get in the shop, being 12 miles from my house) and report back here on Monday.

Dan

• Members

were it not for the other string's breaking as well- you could just leave the g-octave off 8^) like john butler-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0

i guess he was going through them too fast and just decided to leave it out...

he seems to make up for it with the rest pretty well- 8^) he punishes those strings- in a good way-

• Members

This isn't a real good drawing but you can see a second circle around the hole in the post. That is were these (lovely Waverly) tuners have been countersunk - the edge of the hole is smoothed off. That is what you want to achieve on yours

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/1/Waverly_Guitar_Tuners/Specs.html#details

• Members

If a string is going to break, it's very likely going to do so at a point where the string has been bent: saddle, post, nut. It may have nothing to do with burrs on the post, it may be one of those "stuff happens" things. I broke a brand new d'Addario PB G string this weekend and my Ibanez has Grover tuners on it (not Waverly's but still not junk) and they have been countersunk so they shouldn't have any sharp edges to speak of.

Archived