Rainin' and Rippin' - HGAC album update again

Freeman Keller

• Members

Its raining in the great PNW so I cancelled my three day backpacking trip. This has given me a chance to work on the Album project. I have received submissions from Ellen, Cripes (with RT1), Babablowfish, and TAH has given me permission to use a couple of songs from his album (decisions, decisions). I've got a couple of my crappy things. I've got DeepEnd's original cover art - a collage of the avatars for everyone we expected to submit.

Everything has been ripped to my PC and I'm in the process of converting them to mp3. If we were burning the cd's directly I would prefer to use the original music file - but they are huge and can't be easily transfered electronically, which is going to be the way the first album will be distributed.

What I want to do is find a hosting site - either a commercial site or a private one (working on this) and post all the mp3's in folders by name. We will have a way for HCAG members to log in and download the files - that way you can select the ones you like, they will be in manageble file size and you can load your player directly or burn the your own cd. I still would like to make professionally mastered ones available at some point, but right now this has some real advantages (like getting it done!)

For those folks with slow connections I can burn a few cds and mail them - they will be PC quality, but they could be either the wav's or the mp3's.

So please, send me your submissions. It has to be snail mail if it is in a music file format (wav or whatever) but you could e-mail me an mp3 or two. I'll keep everyone posted - but I really want to include as much music as I can - that means YOU!

As I was working on this thing I played Cripes/RT1's "One Cheek Symphony" again - damn, that thing brought tears to my eyes just like the first time I heard it.

• Members

Freeman...can I submit one from my last CD?

Yes, please - but make it a couple. Include real name (if you want it) and info about the guitar(s) (tuning, anything special), and whatever else you want in the line notes. I would prefer a wav or other music file in case we ever do get to burn a cd, but the mp3 would work.

Snail mail addy

Freeman Keller

1212 Washington

Wenatchee, WA 98801

I think you can click my Username for e-mail

• Members

Okay, everyone can contribute something. This is no longer going to be a CD so the limit of 80 minutes (CD) is out the window. I think it can be considered open jam for contributions, if no one objects.

I agree with the sentiment and I hope I don't sound like an awful human being but I almost want there to be some sort of limit. I just don't want it to turn into the Post Your Gear sticky, which attracts a lot of non-regular posters and a lot of non-acoustic and even non-guitar admissions. :poke:

Ellen

• Members

I agree with the sentiment and I hope I don't sound like an awful human being but I almost want there to be some sort of limit. I just don't want it to turn into the Post Your Gear sticky, which attracts a lot of non-regular posters and a lot of non-acoustic and even non-guitar admissions. :poke:

Ellen

Good point. But, if someone wants to showcase their dexterity/talents why not? Think of it this way - each contributor will have his/her own identity so there won't necessarily be a sea of strangers to slog through if you don't want to.

Besides, it could be the place one could study styles and possibly strike up collaborations. I give a listen to those few who post here and sparse as they are, I managed to hear one person I thought I might be able to collaborate with and did. It was a very intriguing and enjoyable thing for me even though he (RT1) did most of the work. That's really the main point of this whole effort, IMO, and if someone's style/abilities sound like a happy marriage with my own, I just might try to push for collaboration. It's like a mystery band of souls producing music together across the miles. One person's perceptions of themselves can and will be very different from a collaborator's and can result in wonderful music. Each collaborator might find something out about themselves that they might have never known in their respective isolations. All it takes sometimes is a spark and a chance. Why not increase the odds with exposure.

• Members

I hope I'm not infringing on the community aspect here. I don't post a lot in the Acoustic forum, but I read it daily.

You're not infringing on anything. That's exactly what I was worried about when I pressed the "post" button. But I only worry that if we leave it open, it will eventually attract people who ought not to be submitting stuff.

I just had a thought though; if the stuff that's getting posted is going through Freeman, really I don't have to worry about this because if he received a steel drum album he wouldn't put it up unless he knew that it was coming from a poster.

Ellen

• Members

OK, my quick take on this is that is should be open to any regular forum member - since it won't be an album, people will be able to chose to listen to and down load whatever they like. In fact that might be better than an album where there is one track that you truely hate - and each time you play it you have your finger poised on the "skip" button.

I'd like to believe that if someone has gone thru the trouble of recording his/her music and forwarding it to me it deserves to be made available to the group. I don't want my tastes to influence this (you folks that sent me several and said "pick the ones you like" have made that really hard, you know).

If this starts overwhelming the server or becomes a hassle to manage maybe it will need some restrictions, but at this point, send 'em on in.

btw - I just got two from Queequeg on his Larrivee baritone - you folks are going to love this!

• Members

(you folks that sent me several and said "pick the ones you like" have made that really hard, you know).

I didn't even think about that. Didn't mean to throw the monkeywrench at your efforts. I just thought it'd be a simple eenie-meenie-minie-moe sort of thing. So, having mixed covers with originals please use One Cheek and you pick one other original. Fair?

• Members

I'm not trying to be a snob, although some or even many may conclude that I am being one nonetheless. This was originally going to be a project for forum regulars, a way to sort of get together and play for each other without being physically present. A cyber musical circle, if you will. My apprehension is that folks who have never contributed will see this as an opportunity to get heard and the original purpose will be lost in an avalanche. Well, that's my opinion anyway. Fire at will.

• Members

Shouldn't the cutoff post count be 2000? :poke:

Maybe 5K? :poke::poke:

:)

It seems that with all the easy possibilities of making your own myspace, soundclick, youtube etc pages ... we can just hang around at those places and check out each other's tunes. Post a link in a thread at HCAG if you want someone to listen.

This thing's been too confusing anyway ... it's on, it's off ... is this thing on? Send a snail mail, no send an mp3. No, wait, send a wav on a disc and two box tops. :p

Just post a tune and let folks hear it. Aren't CDs becoming part of history ... like VHS, cassettes, 8-track, and so on and on.

• Members

I won't be submitting. Should someone ever want to hear mine, they can do so by going to iTunes, MusicMatch, Rhapsody, or 84 other sites for digital download. They can also get it at CD Baby, CD Freedom, Amazon, and selected Borders Books & Music.

Sorry to have interfered with the cyber musical circle.

No offense taken, really, I completely understand.

Hey man, post away and contribute as well. I don't feel exclusive and I don't consider you an exclusion. I understand there was an intent to capture "local" talent onto a CD as sort of a collection of their works but the more I think about it the less I see it should remain that way. This is a forum amongst many and not a focus group. We will remain the way we are and probably where we are but that shouldn't mean we need to throw up fences. That's the stuff of politics and nations.

• Members

It seems that with all the easy possibilities of making your own myspace, soundclick, youtube etc pages ... we can just hang around at those places and check out each other's tunes. Post a link in a thread at HCAG if you want someone to listen.

BRILLIANT!!!! :D

Here's my tune:

http://media.putfile.com/Classical-Rag-Fusion

:wave:

• Members

Sorry to be late to the party again, but here's basically what I'm working on with Freeman -

I'm recycling an active but unused website into a site that will supplement HCAG by providing an area for any/all relevant content that members would like to see that cannot be accommodated on this board. The initial focus will be on expanding the cd project into an online archive of music contributed by HCAG members. It will not be a file sharing site - no one will be able to post mp3's directly to the site, they'll have to go thru Freeman or myself. That will be the control on who/what can be posted. Initially it would be limited to acoustic music, but since many of us also play electric :eek:, I can set up a separate section for submittals of electric music. Personally, I'd prefer original music, but I guess covers are unavoidable. I don't anticipate any copyright problems as the site will be accessed primarily by HCAG members. There's plenty of disk space and bandwidth, so there's no need for us to be overly restrictive on who can contribute.

I have some ideas for additional content, and your suggestions would be appreciated.

Freeman - I have some technical details to work out, but I'll get started on this tonight, and email the particulars probably tomorrow.

• Members

So, you and Freeman will be the moderators. I can live with that if you can.

Actually, it's a website, not a board. The mp3's are ftp'd to the web server, and I have to set up a link for each on a web page so people can access them. They become a permanent part of the content (or until they're removed), and don't scroll off. I'm just roughing it out now - when it's a little further along and I've run it by Freeman, I'll put it on the server and post the url for comments/suggestions.

Archived