Travel Guitar

Amanda-Jane

• Members

What is this?.. a travel guitar?

I get that obvious, a guitar you travel with, but why do you need a special guitar for travelling?

If you are going to gigs.. don't you take the one you perform with?

or is this just the one you take on vacation?.. but then.. is that fair to the guitar you usually play- being left at home?

• Members

I get that obvious, a guitar you travel with, but why do you need a special guitar for travelling?

If you are going to gigs.. don't you take the one you perform with?

or is this just the one you take on vacation?.. but then.. is that fair to the guitar you usually play- being left at home?

Typically refers to a small guitar, easily transported on airplanes, for work or vacation trips. Martin Backpacker, Washburn Rover, etc. are tiny and convenient, but with tone barely resembling a guitar. I use a parlor guitar for such purposes.

• Members

there are a few options in this case-

level one most $$$

a professional traveling musician who needs to play daily to keep his chops up and can't tote his $ expensive equipment around- but will spend a good amount on a nice travel guitar with an internal amp for head phones etc...

level 2 $$

an avid player who wants to be able to practice on vacations or traveling and leaves there good equipment safe at home

level 3$

just a cheap guitar you can take camping, or out to the beach for fireside strumming- or even keep at the office for breaks and lunches-

when i go camping i take the 20$ first act kids guitar from walmart- or a 50 dollar repaired job from my dad- i threw it in my duffel bag and hit the road-

this is just an example- and opinions will vary- 8^)

• Members

I have a Go-Guitars travel guitar (actually, I have two - one that I've given to my son) and it has accompanied me on every business and personal trip I've taken since 2000, as well as coming with me to the office every day. rjoxyz my be right about the backpacker, but he couldn't be more wrong about my Go-guitar. Obviously, it doesn't sound like a D-28, but it has an articulate, bright tone that a LOT of people have commented favorably on.

Go1.jpg

• Members

If I ever decide to travel again I would more than likely take my beater Yamaha G50A classical. I did have a Washburn Rover nylon string version but I hated it's sound so I traded it for the old Yamaha G50A. Classical guitars in a gigbag don't take up much room and of course ....

......they don't have bridge pins.....:p

• Members

I moved down to the Caribbean for a couple of years, and I took a Baby Taylor with me. It fit into the overhead of the airplanes, and if it got stolen or broken, I would get over it.

It survived the trip and so now it has sentimental value so I cant get rid of it.

BabyTaylor.jpg

• Members

I moved down to the Caribbean for a couple of years, and I took a Baby Taylor with me. It fit into the overhead of the airplanes, and if it got stolen or broken, I would get over it.

It survived the trip and so now it has sentimental value so I cant get rid of it.

BabyTaylor.jpg

Wow...that must have sucked having to live in the Caribbean for a couple of years :rolleyes::p

• Members

A travel guitar is one that will fit in the overhead compartment on a plane. A normal sized guitar will have to fly as baggage and we all know what can happen there.

I have an Alvarez MSD1 which is a 3/4 sized guitar that you tune to standard tuning and has a sound close to a full size guitar. The MSD1 has a solid Spruce top, solid Mahogany sides and back, rosewood fretboard, nickel closed grover style tuners, Maple body binding, Abalone rosette, a great action and feel and a sound that's comparible to a full sized guitar. The MSD1 comes with a very nice gig bag (like the Baby Taylor) and the SKB 300 case fits it like a glove with a very minor alteration.

Here it's shown with the SKB 300 case.

i-slm-msd1_l.jpg

If you're interested you can pick one up as a package deal from Endemeo Industries. I have no connection at all to Endemeo Industries and am just a happy owner stating one of many places to order with a good price.

:)

• Members

The appeal is primarily the size. I have a Martin Backpacker and it is crappy but really convenient. I've taken it on two bus trips and on a plane. Fits in the overhead storage thing.

Ellen

• Members

I just can't see spending mucho bucks on something airline baggage handlers will take much joy in beating the living daylights out of.

My Stellar 12-er beater is my travel git. It weighs a ton, but I rarely backpack, so that's not an issue. It's good for a boat anchor or floatation device (some drunk falls off the boat?), has the action from hell, but it actually sounds great and is a booming cannon, so drowns out beer-soaked singers, and it stays in tune when it takes a notion to do so. For $40 lousy bucks it can't be beat and the bright blue finish is actually kinda pretty.

And it's no great loss if I have to beat a 'gator over the had with it....:freak:

• Members

Before 911 I traveled with a full size git no problem; after 911 it became iffy and a hassle. So, a travel size guitar made sense and it's convenient. Besides if I didn't take a git along with me when I traveled I'd really suck at playing verses just sucking a little. My travel git is my Cort 900, 0 size.

Trina

• Members

Does anyone tune their travel guitar up a pitch or two or more? These guitars seem very similar in size to the terz or the requinto. At regular pitch, they sounded dull. While at GC, I've tuned a few of these travelers up a minor 3rd and the sound just sparkled.

travel guitars are great for nashville tuning. A really different sound....

the lower 4 strings are smaller diameter than normal and tuned a whole octave high, while the B and E strings stay at normal tuning. Basically you use the octave strings from a 12 string set.

I have also tuned mine up two steps, but didnt care for it...

• Members

For car trips I just throw whatever moves me into the car, unless it's going to be sitting outside in heat/cold. I had a Martin Backpacker, horrible tone, sold it, have tried the Washburn Rover and the little Johnson travel model, both decent tone and easily fit overhead. I really should sell one. Very easy to play, too, have to try tuning a couple steps up. I have done alt tunings on both, too.

Archived