Newbie Question- Strings

Amanda-Jane

• Members

Not as much as I ought to. I find that about two weeks to a month is probably ideal for acoustics, but I usually let them ride a lot longer out of pure laziness. Of course, after three or four months, you have the pleasure of "rediscovering" the great tone from your guitars!

I do find that if I use D'Addario EXPs (coated strings) I can go about two months without a huge loss of brightness.

• Members

A real "set-up" (consisting of neck adjustment, etc.) is usually only necessary if you are changing the size of strings you are using (i.e. from light to medium, or vice-versa). Otherwise, I find it's OK to just throw on a new set, stretch 'em, tune 'em and go. About twice a year (the change from winter to summer and vice-versa) I check the action and if it's way out of whack adjust the neck. However, for me, it's rarely necessary - I live in the Bay Area, and we don't really have extremes of weather. YMMV.

• Members

In my opinion, it depends on your body chemistry and cleanliness. Sweat breaks down strings quick. People that sweat a great deal may need to change regular, non coated strings every week or two. Another factor that kills strings is playing with dirty hands. Grease, oil and dirt get's trapped between the outer winding on the strings, ultimately affecting the strings ability to vibrate freely.

Personally, I am very lucky because my hands never sweat while playing guitar. I always wash my hands before playing guitar. I can get 4 -6 weeks out of a set of uncoated strings playing and hour a day (apprx. 40 - 60 hours playing time). I can go apprx. 3 times as long with coated strings.

• Members

Frequencey of string changes is affected to some degree by body chemistry. Some people have "moist hands" and acidic sweat, which kills strings quickly. I have dry hands and usually wash them before playing. I can get 3 weeks or so out of a set of strings before I start to notice the tone drop off. I tend to change strings way more frequently than necessary.

Dirt, sweat,etc. will shorten string life significantly. Consider wiping them down after playing. I use GHS Fast Fret to clean strings.

If you use a coated string, you can extend the usual life by several fold. I like Dean Markley Alchemy PhosphorBronze for long life, without some of the tonal loss coated strings usually bring.

As a self-professed newbie, you will benefit by experimentation. There is plenty to learn. Take your time and enjoy!

EDIT: Sheesh, I feel like a 1 minute echo delay for Hudman.:)

• Members

A set up may be required once a year (seasonally, depending on your climate) or after exposing your guitar to severe climate changes. Wood is a natural product that responds to increased and decreased humidity and temperature change.

The other time would be when switching string gauge. Most guitars are set up from the factory with light strings. A set up may be required if you switch to extra lights or medium strings. This is due to the decrease or increase of tension created by the new strings. There is a steel rod in the neck of the guitar used to counter the amount of tension applied by the strings. It may require an adjustment to counter the tension change.

Here is great article on guitar set up from our resident expert, Freeman Keller:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1208287

• Members

Frequencey of string changes is affected to some degree ......

by laziness also. I put it off far longer than I should, which is one of the reasons I prefer coated (Elixer) strings. On my reso's I usually change every six months or so, but they seem to sound pretty good with crusty old strings, I usually go three on the 12 strings, partially because they are a pain to change, and I'd say two on the sixers. One of the things we learned from the string test is that some strings (most notably uncoated 80/20's) seem to change dramatically with a few days of play, then they settle down - which means that if you like that "new string" sound you might want to change them more frequently. Gigging musicians (which I am not) or people in the studio might change right before the gig to get that sound.

Lots of people don't like coated strings for a variety of reasons (including cost), but for me Elixer Nanowebs have acceptable sound and reasonable life. I get three sets for the price of two (about 12 bucks as set) which lets me string up two gits and have a spare set - if I do that every couple of months it seems pretty reasonable. Obviously milage will vary.

And as far as setup, as others have said, if you keep it properly humidified it shouldn't need anything for a long time. If you do the little tests in the Sick sticky and use that for a reference you will know if anything has changed, but your fingers will tell you that too. And even tho I'm anal about those numbers, on three of my guitars it is impossible to change the relief anyway so it is kind of a moot point.

• Members

As a beginner, change strings whenever you feel like it. Since you're still working on finding the right notes (so am I) the age of the strings is far less important than for an advanced player. The greatest benefit you and I are likely to get out of a new set of strings is a greater desire to play on them.

That said, Hudman and rjoxyz are right on in their advice. Personally I use extended life strings and change them, uh, whenever I feel like it. The current set has been on since April. I meant to change them a month or so ago, but I never got up the gumption to actually do it. I do try to switch around on the kind of strings I use, just to experiment and find what I like.

• Members

I change strings about every 3 - 4 weeks on my main steel string acoustic but I use normal uncoated strings (prefer them) and I like that nice bright sound of new strings. If you are not changing string gauge, no need for a new setup.

PS. I prefer the real you.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Resurrection of the thread...

I have a second guitar (Ibanez AW40) I use for fun and some practice. I put on a set of Exiler polywebs on it about two weeks ago. Sounds fine but I am experiencing the following:

1) some buzzing on 5-6 string (mostly due to operator but more so than stock)

2) fingers slipping off stings while finger playing without a "firm" tone

Anyone else have similar experiences? I pick up some Daddario PB mediums last night I may slap on to see if there is a difference.

Thanks

• Members

Just to stir this soup a little more....

I'm quite fond of Silk & Steel strings, but the silver wrap deteriorates rapidly in our humid climate. That, combined with use of hand lotion, makes me change strings quite frequently. I'm doing real good to get 3 weeks out of a set, even when I'm using PB instead of S&S.

Coated strings are indeed handy, but I don't care for the sound they produce on my Martin. Other folks have great results with them.

If you do use lotion and don't wash before playing, be sure to give the neck and the strings a good wipe-down with a lint-free cloth after playing. Microfiber works well for me.

• Members

I'll keep threads like this going. They are informative for newbies like me.

Last night I thought I would swap out the Elixer Polywebs on my dreadnaught. I have Daddario PB lights on my Larrivee OM and thought I would try the mediums on the full size.

I had them on for about 1/2 hour and replaced with the Elixers. The Elixers have a warmer sound and are easier to play with newbie fingers. Additionally, I had way too much buzz with the Diaddarios.

Problems with this reivew include the player is only a two month novice, the git is a Ibanez AW40, and the new strings may have needed to stay on longer than 1/2 hour for a good analysis...

• Members

...Last night I thought I would swap out the Elixer Polywebs on my dreadnaught. I have Daddario PB lights on my Larrivee OM and thought I would try the mediums on the full size.

I had them on for about 1/2 hour and replaced with the Elixers. The Elixers have a warmer sound and are easier to play with newbie fingers. Additionally, I had way too much buzz with the Diaddarios...

If I'm reading this right, you put medium gauge D'Addario PBs on your Ibanez. What was the gauge of the Elixirs you replaced them with? There may be a setup issue if the gauge is different, as there will be a difference in the tension the strings put on the neck. Different brands or types of strings might also yield a different tension, but I think that would be minor in comparison to the difference due to gauge.

That said, I'm an fan of Elixir PB nanos.

-A

• Members

I'll keep threads like this going. They are informative for newbies like me.

Last night I thought I would swap out the Elixer Polywebs on my dreadnaught. I have Daddario PB lights on my Larrivee OM and thought I would try the mediums on the full size.

I had them on for about 1/2 hour and replaced with the Elixers. The Elixers have a warmer sound and are easier to play with newbie fingers. Additionally, I had way too much buzz with the Diaddarios.

Problems with this reivew include the player is only a two month novice, the git is a Ibanez AW40, and the new strings may have needed to stay on longer than 1/2 hour for a good analysis...

Just a couple of quick comments. From your previous post you comment about buzzing when you put the Elixers on - there is nothing inherent about Elixers that should cause more (or less) buzzing as long as they are the same gauge tuned to the same note (ie - the same tension). Replacing mediums with lights on a guitar with marginal setup may push it over the edge and give you some buzzing - but that is setup, not strings.

You don't say which D'Addario's you are using (they make both coated and uncoated) other than to say they are PB's. The Elixers are probably 80/20's so you could be comparing BOTH composition and coated/uncoated. Some people feel that uncoated strings do change with a little playing - that is why the string test had clips at Day 1 and 3.

Changing gauge should have very little effect on tone, but will impact volume and playability (and buzzing). It is interesting that you said you got more buzzing with the mediums. Sounds like a little attention to humidity and setup might be in order. Last thought - if you really want to tell the difference only change one thing at a time and record it.

• Members

Just a couple of quick comments. From your previous post you comment about buzzing when you put the Elixers on - there is nothing inherent about Elixers that should cause more (or less) buzzing as long as they are the same gauge tuned to the same note (ie - the same tension). Replacing mediums with lights on a guitar with marginal setup may push it over the edge and give you some buzzing - but that is setup, not strings.

You don't say which D'Addario's you are using (they make both coated and uncoated) other than to say they are PB's. The Elixers are probably 80/20's so you could be comparing BOTH composition and coated/uncoated. Some people feel that uncoated strings do change with a little playing - that is why the string test had clips at Day 1 and 3.

Changing gauge should have very little effect on tone, but will impact volume and playability (and buzzing). It is interesting that you said you got more buzzing with the mediums. Sounds like a little attention to humidity and setup might be in order. Last thought - if you really want to tell the difference only change one thing at a time and record it.

Good points.

The buzzing I noted was related to the player (insert finger buzz here). I should have pointed that out. The buzzing will eventually fix itself with discipline I believe.

I was not using the coated D'addarios but may try a set of these due to my liking of the Elixer Poly's. As far as humidity we are running a steady 55% and the set up on this entry git probably could use some attention. Right now I'm using it as a "set in the stand and grab" when I have a few minutes. I still want it to work correctly.

Lastly, I apologize for not having all the info. The Da'd's were mediums and I am not sure what the Elixers were/are. At this point I am not overly concerned with optimum tone so much as I am about playability proper learning.

Appreciate the post.

• Members

As far as humidity we are running a steady 55% and the set up on this entry git probably could use some attention. Right now I'm using it as a "set in the stand and grab" when I have a few minutes. I still want it to work correctly.

Don't know where in Oregon you are, but up here in Eastern WA with the heat on in my house my music room is running about 37 percent last time I looked (yeah, its raining and snowing out side, but it is my music room that counts). Two years ago when I left my brand new 000 out on a stand for all the world to see it only took it a month to go completely to hell - and took the better part of three (plus fret filing and complete redoing the setup after it stabilized to get it back).

As you probably know, one of the first signs of a dry guitar is the upper bout sinks a bit and the neck angle drops, and bingo, buzzing (the sharp frets, wavy finish and cracks come later). Unless you are sure your RH really is 55 percent where you git is sitting IMHO put it in a case with a humidifier.

(Btw - I even had sharp frets on a metal resonator - you would think humidity wouldn't affect them at all).

Archived