No Music Day?

Stackabones

• Members

Just saw this article.

Less can be more when it comes to music

Rupert Christiansen on facing his music addiction

Tomorrow is the feast of Cecilia, patron saint of music, but in Lenten fashion, today is No Music Day.

The dream of its organisers (you can read their manifesto at www.nomusicday.com) is that for 24 hours, "the piano lid will not be lifted, rock bands will not rock, and jingles will not jangle". Of course, this will not happen, but some small gestures will be made - BBC Radio Scotland will broadcast no music whatsoever, for example - and the hope is that some of us might reflect on the way we make and listen to music.

advertisement

Music is often manhandled in our society: we abuse its power and manipulate its virtue. Something has gone badly wrong, for example, when my local underground station plays recordings of classical masterpieces in its foyer

• Members

The Scots have always been somewhat eccentric. As a Celt myself - albeit of a different strain - I often experience a sympathetic "bond" with some of their stranger customs: for example, the practice of consuming vast amounts of single malt whisky on New Year's Eve (and any other day of the year for that matter), but this one is just too bizzare.

• Members

in some ways i get it...living and working in london so much constant noise never any silence. I think there is a difference between making music and listening, silence seems to be a rare commodity that when experienced can make you appreciate music all the more.:confused:

Archived