WOW! Nylon 7-string Archtop!!!

Stackabones

• Members

Mo_83-8729.jpg

83-8729 Bill Moll (new) Custom 7-string archtop guitar, Nylon Instrument Prototype, #000001-1, with hard shell case. This guitar is a complete departure from the norm. Mr. Moll has created a fanciful non-cutaway 7-string carved top, carved back instrument which has features that nearly defy description. The arched top, heavily bear-clawed and toned with a light amber stain, does not have traditional soundholes. Instead it has an eastern motif of open carvings into the top, similar to lute style but more simple, elegant and mystical. The neck is three ply, mahogany and ebony, with a diamond carving behind the nut and a wide, ebony capped neck heel. The headstock is like nothing we

• Members

"If you would like to own a truly unique fretted instrument, made by a luthier whose reputation for excellence and elegance is widely known, and if you are adventurous enough to want to expand your music into the seven-string medium, then this guitar will perform with style, panache and an unequalled tonal range. HUGE PRICE REDUCTION. This guitar WAS $10,310. It is now on sale for $7,733 or at our cash discount price $7,500."

Translation: "What were we thinking? This thing is beautiful, but there's maybe three people on the planet who would drop Ten Large on it. So, we're dropping our pants - but not all that much - in hopes we can find it a home."

Absolutely stunning, anyway...Neo-Mayan-Whatever and all. And what do they mean, it apparently has an internal transducer? This is Mandolin Bros., they should know whether it does or doesn't.

• Members

Yeah ... and that "diamond carving behind the nut"? I just read about those a few days ago ... isn't it a special joint for connecting the head and the neck. FK? Someone???
:confused:

Like on many parlors, I guess. Like this one:

00-42K%20Robbie%20Robertson_b.jpg

It probably makes the junction stronger...

Edit: here's another pic:

tuners.jpg

• Members

Any experience with those strings?

These strings have trebles made from a flexible steel rope overwound with nylon tape - they are of a much thinner diameter than traditional monofilament strings (from memory I think they were 16, 20, 24 E to G).

I tried them on my dreadnought which I wanted to convert to a nylon string guitar. Very nice bright sound but a bit too much like steel strings for me so I went with a high tension nylon set (La Bella 850HT) in the end.

They might well be OK on a Macafferi.

• Members

These strings have trebles made from a flexible steel rope overwound with nylon tape - they are of a much thinner diameter than traditional monofilament strings (from memory I think they were 16, 20, 24 E to G).

I tried them on my dreadnought which I wanted to convert to a nylon string guitar. Very nice bright sound but a bit too much like steel strings for me so I went with a high tension nylon set (La Bella 850HT) in the end.

They might well be OK on a Macafferi.

Appreciate the review!

• Members

Mo_83-8729.jpg

Oh my :love:

WANT :love:

The guitars on the site Pascal posted are beautiful as well, but this one is just :love::love::love:

I think I'll just post the pic again, just because I can:

Mo_83-8729.jpg

. . .

Mo_83-8729.jpg

:o

:love:

• Members

What's with the "apparently"? How could it "apparenty" have a pickup?? Either it does or it doesn't!

Wouldn't that be kind of a quieter guitar? I figure that not only does it have the nylon strings but the archtop style... what does it sound like?

Ellen

I played a Moll 6-stringed nylon archtop (at the Arlington, TX Guitar Show a few years back) and was surprised at how loud and responsive it was...much thinner top than a steel-strung archtop needs, and it had an amazing tone.

If I can ever justify the expense, I'd l:love:ve to get a cutaway model...maybe even a 7-string.

• Members

http://www.buscarino.com/cabaret.asp

It's not an arched top, but it is an arched back. I know a guy here in Dallas who has one. He just has the 6-string, but John Buscarino will also make you a 7-string.

BTW, I have also tried those TI rope strings mentiioned in a previous post on my Sand nylon guitar. I really liked the sound, very unique, but they did not sound like nylon strings, on the other hand, they did not really did not sound quite like traditional steel strings either. It was somewhere in between. In the end I decided to go back to nylon for the more traditional sound. If I had two nylon string guitars however, I might keep one of them strung up with those strings.

Ron

Archived