Wow! So far our fellow HCEG forumites are actually admitting ...

Stackabones

• Members

I guess it's because even mostly electric players will acknowledge that what the guitar trio does with simply 3 acoustic guitars is wayyyy different then the G3 guys. The G3 players use electrics/amps/effects and from what I've heard play with a band and do their own tunes. It's more like a rock concert spectacle which is cool. The Guitar Trio guys just sit in a row on a bare stage and just play with insane virtuosity with...acoustic guitars only. I feel it's two different kettles of fish and find it hard to compare the two or even vote on "who's better". Personally I think it would be cool if the G3 guys would do an "acoustic" portion of their show. I am sure they could probably burn up any fretboard be it unplugged or not.

Of course we all know what John McLaughlin (Mahavishnu Orch.)and Al D (Return to Forever) can do with a couple of Les Pauls and Marshall or Mesa Boogie amps at full volumes. ;)

• Members

There was a time when I loved listening to and attempting to play seelctions from Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen. I find the former's phrasing to be quite tasteful and the latter's nylon-picking to be expressive and yes even his songwriting is not that bad. OTOH, I find Yngwie's electric playing to be overly aggressive and devoid of dynamics. I've also tried to like Steve Vai (i.e. "Eugene's Trick Bag" from the movie Crossroads and some of his jazzier tuners from his time with DLR) but his solo stuff is just too "out there" for my tastes. I guess I wouldn't like Frank Zappa either.

BTW - I've tried porting some of Yngwie's stuff over to steel string acoustic but it's mostly the pop-wannabe stuff from his "Trilogy", "Odyssey", "Eclipse" and "Fire and Ice" albums that featured some pretty laughable lyrics. Musically I found them to be pretty catchy though. I don't dare play them outside of home though.

Archived