What do you KEEP playing today???

Misha III

• Members

I originally learned the song from the late 60's Tom Rush album, which included several Joni Mitchell covers. Still have the vinyl somewhere.

Thx Scodiddly - code tag restored the formatting to my text file. Useful trick :thu:

Still not comfortable posting tabs, but nobody's complained (so far). If Jon reads this, would like your take.

• Members

Reunion....Is a song I play every time I pick up the guitar.

I have no idea how I developed this habit, but I never pick up a guitar without playing "Katmandu" by Cat Stevens. The odd part is, I'm not even particularly fond of the song... Somewhere in there, it just became this weird ritualistic OCD thing I do to warm up and keep my hands moving - often between other songs... It's almost the git version of the song you can't get out of your head all day, except this is several years now and it's beginning to scare me a little.

• Members
I clocked a lot of guitar playing time this weekend.

Yesterday I couldn't stop playing "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones, "In Repair" by John Mayer and "Change the World" by Clapton. I didn't pick up my guitar yet today, but I will have plenty of time over the next 5 days. I don't have to work until Saturday.
:thu:

Norah Jones is the bomb, yo. This reminded me that I need to figure out "Shoot the Moon." That woman is a killer musician.

• Members
I clocked a lot of guitar playing time this weekend.

Yesterday I couldn't stop playing "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones, "In Repair" by John Mayer and "Change the World" by Clapton. I didn't pick up my guitar yet today, but I will have plenty of time over the next 5 days. I don't have to work until Saturday.
:thu:

That reminds me. My fingers have been running away with the opening part of "Why Georgia" and Dave Matthew's "Crash Into You". Not the whole songs mind you because I get bored in the middle, but there's just something about the way their beats go that keeps my fingers interested.

BTW Hud, how's that Clapton tune working out for you?

• Members

I have no idea how I developed this habit, but I never pick up a guitar without playing "Katmandu" by Cat Stevens. The odd part is, I'm not even particularly fond of the song... Somewhere in there, it just became this weird ritualistic OCD thing I do to warm up and keep my hands moving - often between other songs... It's almost the git version of the song you can't get out of your head all day, except this is several years now and it's beginning to scare me a little.

I used to do it with "Plush" by the Stone Temple Pilots. It was the first thing I played EVERYTIME I picked up a guitar (acoustic or electric). It lasted for years. I don't know how or why it stopped, but I can't remember the last time I played that song. Early on in my playing life I got hooked on the intro to "Over the Hills and Far Away" by Led Zeppelin.

Now I tend to play the current "flavors of the month". They tend to be songs I recently learned or songs I recently listened to.

• Members

That reminds me. My fingers have been running away with the opening part of "Why Georgia" and Dave Matthew's "Crash Into You". Not the whole songs mind you because I get bored in the middle, but there's just something about the way their beats go that keeps my fingers interested.

BTW Hud, how's that Clapton tune working out for you?

Both of those songs have great acoustic riffs in them. Like you, I don't really play the entire "Why Georgia" song, but I love playing the main verse over and over. The timing is a little tricky to get the groove down like Mayer plays it.

"Crash into You" is one of the coolest sounding acoustic songs. I play the main riff over and over but rarely venture any further. I watched Dave Matthews play Crash solo on the Abbey Road Sessions on the Sundance Channel a few months ago. Man, that guy is talented.

I started playing "Change the World" a few days ago. I play it based on the tab version here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/e/eric_clapton/change_the_world_ver3_tab.htm

It's not exact, but it sounds good and it's pretty easy to play.

• Members

I have several that I use for warm up. Invariably, when I pick up a guitar I will first play either, "Windy and Warm", "Stormy Monday", or "Black Mountain Rag".

For a LONG time, it was Neil Young's "Needle and the Damage Done", now I seldom play it....

• Members

For a LONG time, it was Neil Young's "Needle and the Damage Done", now I seldom play it....

Needle and the Damage Done is one that I'm playing all the time right now. The others are Copperhead Road and Guitar Town by Steve Earle. I just can't sit down and play without running through those three songs these days.

• Members

For many years I always ended my playing sessions with Tom Rush's "No Regrets" - just habit, I guess. After I had stopped playing when my hands went bad, I bought a 2-cd Emmylou Harris collection. Over 40 songs, and the last one was - yep, "No Regrets". Eerie.

• Members

Thanks for posting the "Urge For Going" tabs and lyrics. One of my favorite songs but almost completely forgotten about till you mentioned it here. When the Joni Mitchell version originally came out on a 45 my parents owned a saloon with a jukebox and I used to play that song over and over and over. Just hauntingly beautiful to me at the time. Forget what the other song on the A or B side was, "Circle Game" or "Clouds" or maybe "Big Yellow Taxi"? I Don't think the song was ever released on an album, only the "Hits An Misses" 2 CD anthology that came out several years ago. The song was on the "Misses" CD.

Archived