Your HCAG 2007 Music In Review

Stackabones

• Members

No bridge pins!

I prefer slot heads.

BAGWIPS, TX isn't on the map, yet it exists.

The Zoom H4 was my best gear purchase of the year, perhaps of the last decade.

I don't like my nails too long on my picking fingers. Though my thumbnail sounds a bit better longer. Can't stand using the nail hardening stuff, but it really works.

Teaching guitar is a rewarding and humbling experience.

I shouldn't stay in a band that I'll know I'll quit after the first few rehearsals. Better to stick with solo/duo situations. Easier scheduling & math, anyway.

wabi-sabi??

How about you?

• Members

This past year I learned first hand that the old adage is true: "Playing in a band is a terrific experience; being in one, not so much."

I also learned that writing songs ain't that hard. Writing songs that are commercial is a whole 'nother story.

Finally, I learned that it isn't the amount of skill you bring to the performance, it is the ability to play with intention and emotion that allows you to connect with your audience and win them over.

• Members

I came back to guitar after 20+ years away. My life is once again filled with acoustic music. I never knew how much I'd missed until I wandered into a git shop one day and plinked around on a couple of acoustics. The purchase of my Martin D12X1 soon followed.

I used to play merely to back up my singing. Now that I can't sing well anymore, I'm learning to become a more skillful player. I'm venturing into styles and genres that I'd heretofore neglected and I'm loving the learning experience and the new music!

Best of all, I've learned that you're never too old to play git or learn something new on it. As long as I can strum or form a chord, I'll keep playing 'til the day I keel over.

• Members

I'm sitting here downloading songs to my new iPod - and guess where they are coming from? I'll get around to my cd's one of these days but the first music on the new Pod is 112 songs from you folks - that's right, Stack and Queequeg and Missed and Baba and Cripes and Neil and Ellen and .....

So if you were to ask about HCAG 2007 Music in Review I've got to say it was first the frustration when the Album Project fell in a crack, and second, the day that I was looking down into that crack trying to figure out if we could somehow pull it back out. Brother Krash stepped up and said "lets do it" and I'm sitting here listing right now.

Damn, you guys and girls are good. It is a pleasure to know each of you.

• Members

I am the best band I ever played with. I don't need no stinkin' band. I want female back-up singers, not musicians.

Great year for guitar purchases. Guild F-65, custom-made IR/Cedar cutaway, jumbo slothead, Mahogany archtop.

I finally bought the Jerry Lee Lewis boxed set I've wanted since it came out.

551733.jpg

150 big ones. Now I need to save up for the other two boxed sets.

Composition& recording-wise, it was a normal year. I crank out about the same number every year.

Gigging, I've rediscovered that it's a pain in the *ss. 2 hours setup & travel. 1 hour takedown & travel. For a 2 hour gig?

I work for a living. Thank God I don't gig for a living.

• Members

This year I discovered/remembered that:

- that I was all wrong about a former jamming buddy who I thought wasn't taking music all that seriously and that I should have taken him up on that spot in his band all those years ago

- that playing for my own enjoyment in the confines of my own home is not enough

- playing in front of people can be invigorating and those nerves quickly calm down once you get up there

- that with enough digging and a little poetic license any life experience can make good subject matter for a song

- that it's best to remain humble and remember that talent isn't something that one owns, but is a gift that should be celebrated

... and I'm sure (and hope) that I learn and remember many more important things that may or may not be limited to my passion of music. For starters, I'd love to know how I can share my enthusiasm with my friends and family who aren't musically inclined and know very little about how seriously I take it.

• Members

Lessee...

I started the year with two guitars, a steel string and a nylon. Disliked the nylon intensely, so I sold it and bought another, which turned out to be a marvelous improvement. So much so that I sold the steel string to concentrate on the new gut box.

So, I've learned I really do prefer nylon strings to steel and will continue down that road. Really has nothing to do with bridge pins or no - though I must admit I like the look of a classical, and changing strings is just part of the fun.

Now if only I could play the sucker worth a dang...

• Members

Classical guitar purchases this year have put me on the brink of bankruptcy, and I'm luvin' it! :D I've learned several new pieces, my favorites being Antonio Lauro "Natalia" and Manuel Ponce "Scherzo Mexicano".

Original rock band was largely dormant this year except for a pool party gig in July.

Jazz-rock trio was fairly quiet with only a couple of gigs early in the year.

Blues-pop-rock band has gone through some personnel changes, a lot of rehearsing with the new members and a couple of summer gigs.

Musical highlight was organizing and playing a grass roots benefit concert to raise money for a local HIV awareness organization. I played classical guitar in a trio (Mozart, 'Eine Kleine Nachtmusic'), electric guitar in a quartet (Norah Jones, 'Don't Know Why'), and bass guitar in a quartet (Claude Bolling, 'Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano'; Chick Corea, 'Spain'). Major Fun! Mozart trio shown below.

sTrio3.jpg

Archived