Just One Word: Plastic Acoustics

Stackabones

• Members

I've always thought the Macafferi plastic guitar was kind of cool-looking, but I've never played one. I wonder what it sounds like. For some reason, I have an aural image of it sounding compressed and kind of Dobro-ish.

• Members

My first guitar, thirty seven yers ago:eek: was a plastic sears guitar.

It worked pretty good. My father had to tape the top back down to the sides a few times, but it lasted till I took my older sisters classical guitar two year later.:)

FirstGuitarIMG.jpg

• Members

It worked pretty good. My father had to tape the top back down to the sides a few times, but it lasted till I took my older sisters classical guitar two year later.
:)
FirstGuitarIMG.jpg

Ah......... aren't you cute. What happened? :poke:

Trina :)

• Members

Plastic, eh?

I saw one not too long ago of FleaBay, something of white plastic with kitsch-y palm trees on the front of it.

My first thought: It might be the most waterproof git in the world, but don't leave it in the car on a summer day. :freak:

• Members

I've always thought the Macafferi plastic guitar was kind of cool-looking, but I've never played one. I wonder what it sounds like. For some reason, I have an aural image of it sounding compressed and kind of Dobro-ish.

Pretty close, actually...think a "very quiet dobro"...

BTW, Elderly had several of the Maccafferi violins (same plastic construction) for sale some years ago for (I think) $125 or so, so I bought my daughter one...other than being not as loud, acoustically, as a good wooden fiddle, it had a surprisingly warm tone...and after I put a Barcus-Berry electrified bridge on it, it turned into a really nice electric fiddle that you could actually get a very loud, but natural, sound out of...and rarely did it ever feedback (we plugged it into a Marshall stack one day and really cranked it!) :lol:

Wish I'd bought all of 'em Elderly had, because several fiddlers have played Kat's and all have been amazed at how good it sounds plugged into an amp.

Mario Maccafferi was a genius in many ways! :idea:

• Members

I don't know who made the Sears units but I believe Selmer made the plastic Maccaferri as well as the Maccaferri gypsy jazz box.

Here's a plastic reso for Freeman.

National_Bluegrass_88_small.jpg

That's a Supro "Folk Star" and it's not plastic, it's Fiberglas...I was offered one of those for $75 once, when I was about 15...thought it was a joke and didn't even play it...

Many years later I saw another one just like the 1st at a Guitar Show for $1500...I played that one and have been kicking myself ever since for turning down the $75 one... :(

• Members

That's a Supro "Folk Star" and it's not plastic, it's Fiberglas...I was offered one of those for $75 once, when I was about 15...thought it was a joke and didn't even play it...

Many years later I saw another one just like the 1st at a Guitar Show for $1500...I played that one and have been kicking myself ever since for turning down the $75 one...
:(

Not according to the site I found the picture. It's listed as a mid '60s National Bluegrass 88 with a two piece plastic body. The headstock was a bit suspect to me though, for it to be a National but I don't know much about them anyway.

• Members

Plastic?

Some things should be left alone...I think guitars are one of them.

I won't even drink out of a plastic cup, tastes funny to me.

It may save a few trees, but even if I have to play a guitar made of plywood, I think I would prefer it over any plastic instrument. Wood feels right, its warm to the touch and to the eye.

Plastic just isn't right. It just isn't.

• Members

Not according to the site I found the picture. It's listed as a mid '60s National Bluegrass 88 with a two piece plastic body. The headstock was a bit suspect to me though, for it to be a National but I don't know much about them anyway.

Supro was a "side brand" to National, like Gibson/Epiphone, both under the umbrella (at that time) of Valco, so we're both right...definitely Fiberglas, though, no matter which name is on the headstock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valco

I so-o-o-o-o wish I hadn't turned up my nose at that $75 one , back in '70...

• Members

Supro was a "side brand" to National, like Gibson/Epiphone, both under the umbrella (at that time) of Valco, so we're both right...definitely Fiberglas, though, no matter which name is on the headstock.

I so-o-o-o-o wish I hadn't turned up my nose at that $75 one , back in '70...

Makes sense. I've sent an inquiry to National and the email address listed on the site for clarification. No reply from National yet and there have been problems getting to the other. Apparently the written address is wrong. I deleted what looked like an extraneous letter and resent it this morning.

• Members

Makes sense. I've sent an inquiry to National and the email address listed on the site for clarification. No reply from National yet and there have been problems getting to the other. Apparently the written address is wrong. I deleted what looked like an extraneous letter and resent it this morning.

Encourage them to re-introduce the Folk Star/Bluegrass 88 for $75!

They'd sell a million of 'em... :thu:

• Members

Yeah Terry, I'd buy that for a dollar.

Just received a reply from National...

Hello Bill,

To answer your question...yes, the "old" National company did build guitars with fiberglass bodies.

This was called "reso-glass" and was used with electric and resophonic guitars. These were made from the mid 1950's thru the early 1960's.

Hope this info is helpful.

kind regards, Don

• Members

FirstGuitarIMG.jpg

This is unbelievably scary...here is a pic of my son when he was about your age.

2248929207_9301c12286_o.jpg

2249696332_a3ff39966f_o.jpg

I have videos that If I could capture the moment, would scare you.

Archived