Semi-OT: last night's open mic experience

kwakatak

• Members

After attending a local open mic last Friday and not feeling like I'd gotten the right vibe out of the experience I made it a point to attend another open mic at a different place yesterday. Whereas the previous event is held at a local music store, this one is held at a coffee shop so it's a little more "intimate."

The "stage" is actually a little corner right next to the entrance that's big enough for two to play side by side, though it's mostly solo performers. The "performers" are on the same level as the "audience" and only a couple feet separate each from the other. I use quotes here because the feeling is so intimate that it's easy to strike up a conversational tone with folks throughout the room. At the other open mic, you're up on a stage and the audience is set further back in rows, giving the event more of a recital-like vibe. Anyway, another thing I liked was that that there was also a little back room where you could hang out and either tune up, warm up or even chit chat with others without disturbing the person(s) playing up front.

I took the opportunity to do all of the above, but it didn't settle my nerves enough to totally muff a song that I know by heart and had played in full in the back. Nobody seemed to mind too much and I went on to play a couple cover tunes. The host knows me from the other open mic and I think he somehow felt that I needed to play another song, so he called out a request which I tried my best to get all the way through. All in all, it went well enough but I'm starting to chafe at playing others' music in front of people - I feel sort of "false" pouring emotion into someone else's lyrics even though I choose songs based on a strong personal bond with something about them.

That wasn't the end of the night though. Right after I cleared off the stage a new arrival was announced. He was a traveling musician from Sweden taken a self-guided tour of the US and told us that he stops by open mics to meet with people and share his music.

...and what music it was! His music was folkish with a European vibe that I can't adequately explain. I guess it might have been his accent but the timbre of his voice was very soothing and his pitch was excellent. His guitar playing was a good balance between fingerstyle and strumming and he doubled his singing/guitar work with some melodies via a harmonica mounted on his chest like Dylan back in the day. His banter with the crowd was pretty good and the crowd was very inviting and downright friendly to him. Another thing he did that I wish I could do was to set up each song that he was about to play. Finally, when he was done he mentioned that he was selling demos - which I can't fault him for since he was pretty good and he was doing it all on his own dime. So once he was done and everyone was heading out I got in line to meet our visitor, offer him some praise and I picked up a copy of his demo.

I tell ya, now that was a great time! I can't wait until next time at this place and I think I'm gonna put some more work into my originals now since so many others were doing such.

• Members

Nice report. I have also found that some venues just lend themselves to a warmer, more intimate experience than others. And the opportunity to hang out, tune up and mingle with other musicians is almost as much fun as nailing a song on stage. There is nothing like getting an enthusiastic response to original tunes. I generally stick to covers I do well when I first play in an open-mike to try to "hook" the audience and establish myself. Later I do some original material. I think this makes the audience more receptive to hearing something new.

I look forward to hearing more reports.

• Members

Thats an awesome experience and that's why I enjoy hosting open mics because you never know who will show up. I had a similar experience with this fellow who showed up one night at an open mic I was hosting. He was from Florida visiting on business but always brings his lovely Yamaha ( a newer expensive model) guitar with him. He told me when he is travelling he often checks out the local open stages since he is usally in each town for a few days and it gives him a chance to play and meet people. Well he got up and played his own songs and was really good. Kind of a Harry Chapin/Jim Croce kinda vibe to his songs. He was a great guitar player too. He was happy to play his 4-5 songs, stuck around for a bit and then went back to his hotel.

It's those types of nights I really enjoy!

OGP

• Members

Kwak, keep trying new places. There are several open mics in my area and they all have a different vibe. You learn a little about your playing and about playing for an audience at each one.

I always have a blast no matter what. I find it fun to decide what to play at each. Some are better for originals, some better for covers, I usually like to do a mix.

• Members

Cool Neil. It's always nice to meet new people.

I'm not a songwriter, but I think you have to open up and stop over-thinking your lyrics and the message behind them. It's not like writing a novel where ever word matters. The music and words work together to tell the story. I prefer semi-vague lyrics because they can mean different things to everyone that listens to the song.

I am considering writing a song about a guitar player eating lion and a crazed ice cream truck driver. ;)

• Members

Thanks folks,

I intend to make it a regular habit and play out a bit more. I've already been approached by someone to do the duo thing and I think I'm gonna give it a shot, even if his tastes in music are different than mine. As for trying different places, there are at least 2 other open mics around - meaning that I could conceivably go to one once a week.

In the meantime I think I may have to make a short-term shift in priorities and stay off the forums for a bit. My Dell laptop haas crapped out and is going to get some warranty work done for about a week or two. I'm temporarily using our old computer but will probably disconnect it because I don't want the kids messing with all the wires - the laptop was hooked up via a wireless connection.

So I think I'm gonna be doing the old fashioned scribbling in the notebook with the guitar on my knee thing for awhile and work on some of those songs a bit more. That's the beauty of the acoustic guitar: it's portable and the batteries don't need to be recharged every 2 hours! As for recording, well we did our taxes and I'm going to see if the wife is feeling generous enough for a Zoom H2.

Now conceivably I could check in every so often, but I also think that I need to give my family a little bit more effort. We're hitting a rough patch with regards to frustration with Justin's many quirks and with the impending change of weather I think it's time we all got out of the house more. Even if we are home, the guitar is less of a distraction than the PC because the kids love music - but I think I'm gonna test their limits on that as well.

Well, gotta go. See you all soon!

Archived