The VOM1T Principle: One-take or first-take?

Stackabones

• Members

I've understood it as one-take, meaning that the recording/vid was done in one shot without punch in/out fixins & whatnot ... but it wasn't necessarily the first-take -- it could be second or third or etc. In my mind, even if a second guitar or harmony track were added, they would be done with a one-take mindset.

But iirc Dak said he understood it in a similar fashion, except that it was the initial attempt. Don't want to put words in Dak's mouth, so I'll won't go further into it and let him (and others) elaborate.

Not looking to get into a tussle about this. I think both approaches are fine, and going about it this way is just a guideline, not a rule imo.

Whaddya think? :)

• Members

Personally I think either way is good. I do think if everyone wants to keep to a true "open mic" concept, that it might be best to do the "first take". I mean part of open mics are the mistakes that are made.

On the other hand, in a recording those mistakes are a lot more obvious so I can understand doing a few takes and sending the best one. Some folks will be more nervous than others about it all.

I do not think that "punched up" versions should be done. Many members don't have access to such equipment and it should be kept at a fairly even technical level.

Really for me just getting to hear everyone is fun! I can't wait till the next time......Maybe I will even have time to get something sent it.

• Members

Confused. One take vs first take needs further defining.

If I'm practiced at a song and confident with playing it, a first take should be reasonably executed. If I'm not familiar with a song and am just winging it on a first take, then listener beware.

One take should be defined as recording a song a person is familiar with and delivering it as he/she would live to an audience - all the flubs and no dubs - with perhaps the FX they would normally use on stage. That seems fair. I would not perform without a touch of 'verb or chorus so that should be allowed.

Besides, who (honestly, now) really puts up their first/one-take effort?

• Members

One take should be defined as recording a song a person is familiar with and delivering it as he/she would live to an audience - all the flubs and no dubs - with perhaps the FX they would normally use on stage. That seems fair. I would not perform without a touch of 'verb or chorus so that should be allowed.....

That, essentially, is also my take on it.

I don't believe there should be any over dubbing though, IMHO, that should not preclude a collaboration. So, to clarify, if one person lays down a guitar track, another person lays down a vocal track and another a bass line and so on to simulate a group one take it would be fine. The problem I see there is the time that it would take to lay down the tracks, send them to one person and then import to a DAW, sync and mix them would make a long distance collaboration fit what I perceive to be a one day open mic. One person laying down a guitar track, then layering in a vocal track, a bass track, a backup vocal track, & etc should not be allowed while one person doing a guitar, harp, vocal and stomp box, foot tamborine or other one man band type of thing can do that in a one take recording so should be allowed.

Maybe I'm holding things too literal but I have the impression that this is supposed to be done on the one day, not dredged up from some time in the past. I have hours of stuff pre-recorded I could dredge up, including from live gigs but that doesn't fit the criteria the way I understand it.

As to actually putting up the first one take effort, I can say I normally do though some may think differently. I generally set aside several hours for recording and transfer to the computer for conversion to mp3.

I go in, set up, start the tape rolling and start playing, talking here and there and doing another song & etc, like an actual open mic. Then I'll choose one tune from the set to fit the one song criteria, import that song to the computer and process to mp3, upload it and set the link.

Oh, I do edit out those noises and time delays where I'm having a sip of brew between songs.

• Members

Glad you brought this up. I had a little trouble with my last submission, so I didn't plow through like I would have at an open mic. I stopped and started over. A few times.

I got some nice comments, including some folks who listened more than once. I was really going for something tranquil, so I think leaving in the really blatant errors would have bothered me more. "Hi everyone, this is a piece that I play at children's memorial services .... "

If I were asked to stick to first take, on the honor system, I would do it. I know that we have the Annex if we want to submit our polished multiple-take efforts.

Though I should mention, as the person who coined VOM1T, I don't think VOMFT is quite as catchy.

• Members

Since VOM means Virtual Open Mic, I took it to mean that it was exactly like a live open mic. Ya get up there and give it your best shot at that moment in time. If you forget the lyrics, have rice krispies in your throat, or burp in mid-song, too bad - there's no turning back.

My first submission was exactly that - a one-shot deal, complete with bathroom reverb, the sound of a wind storm and HVAC hissing merrily, and my voice floating off key a few times.

I even forgot to introduce myself before beginning to play, which was not good open-mic etiquette. Shame on me.

In keeping with the true Open Mic concept, I'm going to rehearse much more and clean up my act, but will record one take only and submit it, no matter how it turns out.

• Members

Confused. One take vs first take needs further defining.

If I'm practiced at a song and confident with playing it, a first take should be reasonably executed. If I'm not familiar with a song and am just winging it on a first take, then listener beware.

One take should be defined as recording a song a person is familiar with and delivering it as he/she would live to an audience - all the flubs and no dubs - with perhaps the FX they would normally use on stage. That seems fair. I would not perform without a touch of 'verb or chorus so that should be allowed.

Besides, who (honestly, now) really puts up their first/one-take effort?

That's exactly what I did, Cripes. I equated pushing the "record" button to stepping up onto the stage in front of the mic. No turning back, no second chances.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but the word "honor" means something to me.

• Members

That's exactly what I did, Cripes. I equated pushing the "record" button to stepping up onto the stage in front of the mic. No turning back, no second chances.

LOL - well, if we're bringing "honor" into the topic at hand:

[YOUTUBE]md32XWL3M-k[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I'd like to avoid the notion that someone is being dishonest by not adhering to particular conception of VOM1T or VOM. It's a Virtual Open Mic, not a Real Open Mic. If a VOMer says it's a first-take, rice krispies and all, we should believe it. OTOH, if it's a one-take ... it can still have rice krispies in it. ;)

Though this thread is open for exploring what VOM1T means to individuals, I don't think that it should/could be codified. I started this thread just to explore how folks understood the term, and to open up ways of thinking about it. My hope is that it's an expansive, inclusive idea and not a restrictive, exclusive one.

I place a bit more emphasis on the fact that the VOM is open to all who are HC forumites.

Good stuff so far, folks. :)

:whisper: wonder if there will be other HC mystified threads about HCAG's fixation with barf a la the curious inquiries about the goat?

• Members

Hey...whoa...I'm not calling anyone out to wave honor under their noses. Slow way down with that. It's just music. No reason to get all lofty about it and stuff. I don't care if a person takes 1 or 50 takes to be HAPPY with themselves. If they're not happy with themselves, then the point is...?

• Members

Glad you brought this up. I had a little trouble with my last submission, so I didn't plow through like I would have at an open mic. I stopped and started over. A few times.

I got some nice comments, including some folks who listened more than once. I was really going for something tranquil, so I think leaving in the really blatant errors would have bothered me more. "Hi everyone, this is a piece that I play at children's memorial services ....
"

If I were asked to stick to first take, on the honor system, I would do it. I know that we have the Annex if we want to submit our polished multiple-take efforts.

Though I should mention, as the person who coined VOM1T, I don't think VOMFT is quite as catchy.

To clarify, my own comment about honor was in reference to Brahmz's comment about "on the honor system." (See bold above)

Sorry I failed to quote him in my post. My bad.

• Members

Speaking as a listener, I really like the idea of everything having been recorded that day. I think it just gives it more of a "live" feel. I'm hoping that people who want to post tracks they cut last month or five years ago will start separate threads.

WRT the original question, I like Verence's take.

• Members

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't "One Take"
imply
first take?

Well, something can be recorded in one take and still not be the first take, right?

You have a bit experience with some of this terminology, so any insight on your side of things is definitely welcome. :)

• Members

Well, something can be recorded in one take and still not be the first take, right?

You have a bit experience with some of this terminology, so any insight on your side of things is definitely welcome.
:)

Well this is semantical I guess. I'd call that "one pass". To me "he did it in one take" means it was only recorded once.

• Members

I always post the first take I do not mess up on. I work quickly because with small kids I do not have a lot of time so for me practicing is out of the question. I just play it while I learn the song with the camera rolling. As soon as I can play it all the way through the camera gets turned off and its a wrap.

That being said I do get into the mental state of "OK you are on stage at an open mic and you got one shot" That always helps accelerate the learning curve and many times I can get one take...lol

Archived