Guitar Pick Throw Away Time

nylon rock

• Members

I play with Fender 351 Tortoise Colored Extra Heavy picks.

Years ago I remember reading some techniques by one of the popular internet guitar instruction sites, to get you to pony up the money by whetting your apetite. The instructor recommended turning the pick slightly and showed examples of flat against the strings versus tilted to the strings. I couldn't hear any difference.

But lately I've noticed a terrible sound coming from my pick on the strings. It's kind of a running along the string on a wound string sound. I can correct it by holding the pick on an extremely short run out, or I can correct it by tilting the pick to the strings. (But then I have to compensate my picking and it leads to air or string choice error.)

Then I looked at my pick. It is beveled down on the leading edge where it contacts the strings. If I flip it over, the opposite side edge is beveled in the same way. Since I drop my picks often enough, I looked at all the other picks I have lying around on the floor, on the wing chair seat cushion, and on the bay window sill. They all had the bevel, both sides.

I then played with the other corners of the picks, the shoulder corners. No screech.

So, I realized that I'm not changing my picks out nearly enough. I prefer the 351 tip, but unbeveled from wear, since it doesn't dull down the tone when you play from the tip rather than the shoulder of the pick.

Been playing forever and just now learned this. I guess you really are never too old to learn.

• Members

I'm cheap so I make picks last a lil longer than I should. I got a new one out the other day and I swear... It was almost like a new guitar!

I gotta stop being such a tightwad! Waste not, want not carried too far. They're only picks, and I really do have zillions of em! LOL!

• Members

Hi all! I use HEAVY picks for all my music except when I'm fanger-pickin. I sometimes do STRING SCRAPES which caused GROOVES in my picks and the grooves catch the strings . i'm a BONAFIDE CHEAPSKATE from way back, so I have found that if i keep a small file in my bag i can just file out the grooves and make my picks last many moons.

I also use just the shoulders (the rounded sides) of my picks instead of the POINTY ends. the rounded end makes for a smoother tone.

I make my heavy picks last many times longer with a few swipes of the small file I picked up from LOWES.

Thanks for lettin me share.

• Members

Some folks prefer the very bevel you're talking about:

http://www.wegenpicks.com/

I noticed the same thing when I used Tortex picks. I'd wear them down and create that bevel...but I really liked that. The problem was, the picks would get so worn down that when I changed to a new one, I'd be completely thrown for a loop (which is why I now use different types of picks; Claytons have taken the spot for Tortex as cheap picks for me).

• Members

I used to like old picks. But that was when I only played nylon string. They wouldn't get beveled down nearly as much, or the sound they made didn't matter on nylon strings.

But my steel string and picking style just eats them away.

As far as a lot of people liking the bevel, I agree. For example, Bear Trading (or whatever it is called) that sells the Tortex (I think) offers the bevel, and even a tri-tipped assorted bevel pick.

I owned one. Owned it for all of one day as it went back to Maury's for my money back the next day. It was too beautiful a sound for me. My style of play is way too overt to like one of those. And they're $20 each, breakable, and too much hype about tone and turtles. Hated the way they sounded.

I pop notes rotinely. Seems like there is always some sort of English on my picking, just like I prefer to pluck the strings just South of the soundhole. Things come together to give my acoustic an electric sound which sounds pretty cool. But years before, I would have told you I like being able to play at different string locations for variety of sound. I would have been really full of it.

Today, I know that I like a new pick, the Fender 351 shape, extra hevy, held with only 1/8th inch run out or so, and hitting the strings just South of the soundhole. (where the gooney birds fly)

And I'm still really full of it. :wave:

• Members

I restore the edge with a little sandpaper. Doesn't take much off and can be done a few times before it's too far gone. Been using a pick a lot lately - trying to get away from fingerstyle for a change - and noticed the same thing about the edge. I'm not cheap, just resourceful.

• Members

I use an emory board on my red bear b hvy. just a swipe or two and it plays smooth as a baby's.....anyone try the stone picks. bone, wood and ivory didnt do it for me. never tried a coin but someone on ebay is grinding down quarters into a pick shape. still like my red bear enuf not to experiment right now

• Members

One of the reasons I never liked celluloid picks is that the edge wears to a bevel so rapidly - usually within one day in my case. The bevel is one thing, but the fact that it's inevitably got a rougher feel than the "polished" edge on a new celluloid pick has always been the real deal breaker for me (I don't mind a bevel on certain picks). I use a few different picks, but all are either nylon or hard composite materials (like Wegens).

If you really like those picks and want an almost identical shape and feel in something much more long-lasting, I'd suggest checking out either D'Andrea Pro Plecs or Ultra Plecs. Great picks if you're looking for something that sounds and feels like celluloid but wears much better. Unfortunately, they only come in 1.5mm and 2.0mm gauges.

Back when I did use celluloid, I pretty much used a new pick every day and got rid of the old.

• Members

One of the reasons I never liked celluloid picks is that the edge wears to a bevel so rapidly - usually within one day in my case. The bevel is one thing, but the fact that it's inevitably got a rougher feel than the "polished" edge on a new celluloid pick has always been the real deal breaker for me (I don't mind a bevel on certain picks). I use a few different picks, but all are either nylon or hard composite materials (like Wegens).

If you really like those picks and want an almost identical shape and feel in something much more long-lasting, I'd suggest checking out either D'Andrea Pro Plecs or Ultra Plecs. Great picks if you're looking for something that sounds and feels like celluloid but wears much better. Unfortunately, they only come in 1.5mm and 2.0mm gauges.

Back when I did use celluloid, I pretty much used a new pick every day and got rid of the old.

Hmmm, I just googled for the pro plecs, and they look very interesting. I'll have to pick some of those up. :thu:

For cheap, easy to find picks, the Dunlop Ultex and Clayton Ultem picks seem to be pretty durable.

• Members

My picks throw themselves away and pop up in the wash every now and then.
:confused:

I figure it's the nature of things. You know, the circle of life kinda thing.

Sorry, too much Disney channel.
:o

I remember that stage. You memorize all the songs from the Lion King, Barney, etc. My favorite LK song/scene is the one where Scar introduces the hyenas to his plot to kill Mustafa. It's right out of a Broadway musical.

• Members

I reckon I was blessed with cheap tastes, In the last year I have been using a red, white and blue Fender medium, a Blue California Fender medium and a classic .73 Fender medium that I used to always use. That one is has been cataloged in my pick jar. I have a box of a dozen California medium picks unopened so I'm good for a while to come. I still have the same polywebs that I had put my Alvarez when I bought it and had it set up last year. BTW, this guitar is starting to open up at last!!!!

Jim

• Members

Dunlop Delrin 2mm - big thick picks. The edge does wear down a bit, but that just makes it sound better. Never had to throw one away yet!

On the electric I use a Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm - it's a monster. The tip does wear off a bit, but then it's fine just about forever. Never thrown one of those away either. Oh, and being made of Lexan means it takes quite a while to show any wear. Too bad those sound clicky on acoustic, because they feel great to play.

So that's another testament from me about heavy picks - they play good, they save you money, etc.

Archived