Another original tune from my student recital!!!

Stackabones

• Members

Some of you may recall that my student wrote a tune for the last recital. Well, he wrote another one! He first came up with the chords ... he's been coming up with many different chord progressions over the last several months and this is one that he really liked.

I mentioned to him that a chord progression needs a melody and started teaching him about how chords contain notes that can make melodies ... so he started searching out the chord tones and piecing together a melody.

He wrote some more chords and put a melody to those and used that for a B section. He knows about AABA because we've studied Ode To Joy and Au Clair De La Lune and looked at song form. But he came up with the intro (which is part of the B section) and ultimately determined the order.

That sheet of paper on the stand is the "autograph" copy with all of our notations (I helped him transcribe the notes and rhythms).

btw, he's 8. ;)

[YOUTUBE]6VSHr-Ce_rk[/YOUTUBE]

You'll notice I had to play my Gitane with a lightly brushing thumb. I had to be real careful playing behind his nylon string (that's a Yamaha C45M).

If you get a chance, please leave a comment and/or a rating at youtube for this. He'd get a real kick out it. He was thrilled about us talking about his tune the last time!

I had two more students write original tunes. One was a blues rocker ... if it gets posted I'll put it up. The other was a really catchy swinging piece, but he couldn't make the recital.

• Members

It's great to see young composers developing their voices. I can see the musical concepts solidifying in this piece -- there's a stronger sense of meter, as well as key (though I do like the C, which steps outside the key briefly). And the ending is played like an ending. My piano teachers always said to make the ending sound different, even if it's a motif that has appeared before.

I also like the title Music Express -- the piece has a real moving train-like quality to it. Not sure if the title came before the composition, or vice-versa, but the two fit together. I wonder if this could be a possible approach for future compositions. That is, in addition to using abstract elements like form, phrasing, contrast, thematic variation, etc., it might be a good challenge to try to depict characters or emotions or even entire scenes and stories. Maybe Garrett could collect some of these miniatures in a larger Suite or Album.

Stack, your chordal support seems to parallel the way you support your students' growth in general -- just the right timing and balance, and total respect and validation of their ideas. Keep up the good work, both of you!

• Members
Stack, your chordal support seems to parallel the way you support your students' growth in general -- just the right timing and balance, and total respect and validation of their ideas. Keep up the good work, both of you!

My chordal support is actually the first thing he came up with! He showed me the chords so that he could figure out a melody over it! Funny thing, when he showed up for the recital he asked me if I wanted to play the melody or the chords -- he was totally ready to play either part and he gave me the choice. ;)

btw, his title came after I told him about trying to come up with a title for a tune a while back and enlisted HCAG's help. One of the names suggested was "Baker Express" ... shortly thereafter he called his new piece "Music Express". IIRC the initial title was "No Electrick Guitar." So, the title came way after the tune was written. :lol:

Thanks for the comments, folks ... and a special tip of the hat for those who left kind words on youtube. I'll be sure to pass on the comments posted in here as well. :wave::D

Archived