recording: TE's Lewis & Clark

kwakatak

• Members

I've been woodshedding on this song for over 6 months now and recorded this late last night. K&K PWM in a Larrivee OM-03R to K&K Pure XLR Preamp direct into the soundcard of my 5 year-old Dell tower. I recorded it using Reaper with ASIO4ALL and ANWIDA Soft DX Reverb Light. I'd appreciate feedback on the recording quality. If possible I might be able to dual source the recording using a Behringer mixer and a Shure PG58 microphone. As it stands now I kind of like the ability to plug in and play with a set of headphones.

EDIT: I'm changing the link because Putfile is out of whack. I spent a couple of hours knitting together a slide show movie in Movie Maker to get something up, though the audio quality is not nearly as good.

uRTjzUh9uZM

• Members

i want to hear this badly. I tried playing this when I first heard it and had difficulty with some of the subtleties in the tune. I gave up on it. When it comes to TE, I think its best for me not to attempt anything he does.

I'm sure you've done a good job with it, and I'm looking forward to putfile gettin' their act together...

• Members

Yes, the problem appears to be on putfile's end. Even I can't listen to it; it just loads the page and acts like there's no media file embedded within. I'm sorely tempted to go elsewhere for my audio-only files. I'm thinking soundclick. The only other option I can think of is to make a quick and dirty Youtube video with a couple of guitar pics or something. :-/

• Members

Great work. Thats really awesome dude..keep it up.

+1

running out of superlatives, Kwak.

I'm listening to this again and again. I dont know what it is about this, but I was never that intrigued with this piece, until now, even though I have been an avid TE fan for years. All I can say is I prefer your rendition.

No, really!

• Members

Thanks, folks!

I'm actually more proud of the slideshow than the playing. I listened to TE play it just now and the little nuances and grace notes that are all through this piece are not quite within my grasp. It's fun to play though! TE always makes me wanna tap my foot more. So I'm gonna chalk this one up as a work in progress but I'm happy with how the recording came out and how comfortable I felt just plugging in with headphones on. I think I may go back and add a little more reverb too.

• Members

Based on some feedback I got elsewhere I decided to increase the amount of reverb on the audio track and it sounds much better IMO. Does anybody know if Youtube will allow you to replace audio/video of an existing submission?

You can do something called "AudioSwap" but I think you can only put in one of the songs they suggest... maybe you could jerry-rig it somehow? Get some other Youtube user to upload your new version; I have no idea where you would start but its the only thing I can think of.

I love the song, by the way! The preamp sounds pretty darn good plugged right into your computer.

Ellen

Archived