VOM 7 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, August 10, 2008

Stackabones

• Members
We did some softer acoustic/electric stuff...I'll try and find it to post....maybe that will be OK with him.

Don't sweat it. Please, leave this one up.

As a general guideline, we try to keep to one submission per forumite per VOM. If possible, next time around maybe you could post something a bit more recent (usually recorded within the last month or so). Again, just general guidelines ... I'd rather have forumites participate than not.

Thanks for being a part of VOM, NASCARL!!!! It's good to see you. :)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

????? Go figure. Worked great for me. Glad supload worked for ya.

Ah.. It's new code I am testing there, largely unvetted.. Sounds like it didn't recognize the file type. After the VOM - I'll kick it around some more. Perhaps get some folks to do some test uploads..

• Members
Ah.. It's new code I am testing there, largely unvetted.. Sounds like it didn't recognize the file type. After the VOM - I'll kick it around some more. Perhaps get some folks to do some test uploads..

I'll help. I'm a good little lab rat. ;)

• Members
This is
NOT
an
acoustic-only
VOM.
:cop:

All are welcome: electric and acoustic, solo and group. Though it is held in HCAG, I don't think VOM is meant to exclude electric instruments or bands. Even following VOM1T is really up to the VOMer.
;)

:wave:

I stand corrected. I'm probably reacting somewhat to some open mic changes in my area. For years I enjoyed an acoustic open mic which recently turned into an anything goes gong show. Fortunately I've found an alternate open mic.

Hope I didn't offend anyone. Thank you Stack for hosting this thing, and Ohioarrow for putting stuff in the annex. I'm just glad this thing is here for me to participate in.

Scott O

• Members
+1 - Sounded good

I don't know if you know who Brendan O'brien is...he's a producer who I believe is now vice president of Sony...anyway Brendan is a local guy who grow up with us....that recording was produced by him....he's gone on to produce everyone from Pearl Jam and STP to Bruce Springsteen's latest album.:cool:

• Members

Here is my short contribution to the VOM: http://h1.ripway.com/JazzIVWoman/Sunny%20Day_august.mp3

I've been listening to everybody until now and I'm having a lot of fun so far! I woke up with the urge of listening to the VOM this morning! :)

As you all know, I'm not an advanced player! I do it it just for fun! I did it in one take/first take (I'll live with it!)!!! It's improvisation with a melody I have in my head since a few days! I know that the timing is off. I might try it with a drum track later this week!

I used my Simon & Patrick Songsmith + my little Vox DA5 --> Peavey PV6 mixer --> Cool Edit Pro!

Cheers!

• Members

SkySeven - Wow - I could never get up the nerve to attempt such a difficult song. Cool vid, with the city in the background and you in sillouette. :thu:

Misha - What?? You say you're not an advanced player? That sure sounded advanced and polished to me! Nice!

• Members
dr5euss
- Good job. Why is it that the accent goes away when a brit sings?

Hi Scott,

Yeah, I struggle with accent...I never know whether to sing it in my native tongue ;) When I write originals I'll sing them as me, but for covers I like the 'twang' :thu:

• Members

NASCARL
Very professional.

DigitalRelay
Wow!!! That is a great original, and performed very well. Great vocal too.

frankiej
Very nice piece. Great original too.

riffmeister
Holy Cow. Your playing is great.

FussenKuh
Great original tune. Great put the past behind and get on with the future feel.

happy-man
Nice job. I liked both in their own way.

Queequeg
Cool song, and I like the way you did it.

daklander
You did a great job on this one. you put the MOJO in it. Awesome job.

jandrew
Very nice. Smoooooooooooth!!!

Sangemon
I wish I could play that good after only playing for 4 or 5 months. Nice job. And don't be shy about singing. I do it and you should hear how bad my voice is.

SkySeven
Nice one. You have a good voice.

Misha
I realy love the vibe of that. Sound like a potentialy GREAT song, and your playing is very good. Very nice job.

• Members

I finally got home and have been enjoying some of the submissions. Will have comments shortly. However, I checked on the link to my song and the website appears to be experiencing difficulties. I can't even get to it by going the long way around through a google search:mad:

Has anybody had a difficult time connecting to it, or just could not do so at all? What a bummed out occurance!

RT1

• Members

I finally got home and have been enjoying some of the submissions. Will have comments shortly. However, I checked on the link to my song and the website appears to be experiencing difficulties. I can't even get to it by going the long way around through a google search:mad:

Has anybody had a difficult time connecting to it, or just could not do so at all? What a bummed out occurance!

RT1

hmmm.. It worked when I added it to the archive.. But doesn't seem to now.. Maybe a technical hiccup that wil be corrected shortly?

Update: It seems to be all of soundlantern.com so perhaps it will be back shortly

• Members
hmmm.. It worked when I added it to the archive.. But doesn't seem to now.. Maybe a technical hiccup that wil be corrected shortly?

Update: It seems to be all of soundlantern.com so perhaps it will be back shortly

Thanks for the replies, ya'll. First Putfile and now SoundLantern. I guess some days are just like that.:facepalm:

RT1

• Members

Alright, after a several month VOM1T hiatus, here's another from a recently converted nylon stringer. In honor of the Olympics I did Erik Satie's Gymnopedie No.1. A couple disclaimers: this is recorded on my camera and I have no idea where the weird flange-like effect came from...the ceiling fan, maybe? Well, enough excuses...

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

First of all, I need to say that the VOM just keeps getting better and this is the best one yet. Now, that out of the way;

C70man: I really enjoyed your take on this song. Very well recorded and quiet (no noise). I was humored by your intro. It really fit the mode of the song. You're good.

garthman: You've got that Dylan thang goin' on. Very good piece.

Nascarl: I had a hard time finding the acoustic guitar in this one:lol: Actually, just kidding. I really enjoyed that. Excellent production and all kinds of good stuff going on. A few years ago, I would have bought that. I imagine your band had a large following.

DigitalRelay: Very touching praise song. I think you have the makings of a solid production piece. I loved the reverb. Just right.

frankiej: Excellent use of your electronics. Very nice. Entertaining.

Riffmeister: As always, your abilities are amazing. Do you have eight fingers on your chording hand?;)

Fussenkuh: I must say, without a doubt, the best groove of any piece I have heard today. I was taken with it and am envious of your style. Please keep working on this piece cause it's close. . . real close.

happy-man: Very good version of this song. Personally, I preferred the 6 string rendition over the 12. The vocals were a little behind the guitar. I hope you don't think I'm criticizing, 'cause I ain't. It was good. Mic placement, maybe.

I'm still listening.

• Members

To continue on...

Queequeg: First of all, I'm glad to see you posting. You've been missed. That bari sounds great. Nice vibe on that piece and it sounds really difficult to play. You pulled it off. I loved the finish too.

daklander: As always your style is so pure and straightforward. Your voice is perfect for that song, or vice versa. Anyway, good job.

jandrew: That Larri sounds soooooo good. The recording was clean and entertaining.

SkySeven: Man, that's a sad song but you did it with heartfelt enthusiam that works quite well. Where the heck do you live? The view out your window is killer!

Misha: I really liked this piece. Your tone was impeccable and you did a good job with it. Excellent.

Scodiddly: Your voice is perfect for that song. Great presence. Great rendition on that one.

bramz118: A classic and you did it justice. Very impressive

bransonb: You always do great stuff, and live too. I believe I enjoyed that one best of what I've heard from you so far. The audience liked it too.

Archived