VOM 7 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, August 10, 2008

Stackabones

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is a poem that my sister wrote when she was a teenager. She wanted me to see if I could make a song out of one of her poems, and this one just spoke to me for some reason.

So I made it into this song for her...

It's titled... I Miss You.

http://home.comcast.net/~bcalvanese/vom_7_i_miss_you.mp3

Not too sure about the song, but it's a great poem...:)

I recorded it with my new Sterling ST55 condensor mic (in one take)

Hope you all enjoy it.

• Members

Well, after considerable thought, I decided to have fun with this one...

A tune or tunes you should all be aquainted with....

I call this one..."Till there was misbehavin". Its pretty obvious once you listen to it....So many songs have the same chords and progressions...this one was just too obvious to me...

http://audio.xanga.com/c70man/58fc92558007/audio.html

• Members

garthman is out of town this VOM day, so he asked me to post this for him:

"Is Your Love In Vain" by Bob Dylan

Ovation Applause fitted with nylon strings. Recorded with Audacity via computer headset mic as usual. One take, also as usual - I lack the technology and knowledge to do it any other way.

Is-Your-Love-In-Vain

• Members

This is a poem that my sister wrote when she was a teenager. She wanted me to see if I could make a song out of one of her poems, and this one just spoke to me for some reason.

So I made it into this song for her...

It's titled... I Miss You.

http://home.comcast.net/~bcalvanese/vom_7_i_miss_you.mp3

Not too sure about the song, but it's a great poem...
:)

I recorded it with my new Sterling ST55 condensor mic (in one take)

Hope you all enjoy it.

Sweet tune, bobc. The music takes a backseat to the lyrics which is as it should be IMO. It's kind of sad, but for some reason these are the type of songs I like the best.

BTW, was it easy to write the music with the lyrics already done? I've been trying to write a song with a similar feel to it but only with writing the music first and any attempt with writing the lyrics seems like I'm forcing a square peg into a round hole. :facepalm:

• Members

Summer Wine, by Lee Hazelwood

I always liked this song as recorded by Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood back in the 60s.

The first time I performed it, I was only about 13 years old - too young to know about wine, much less seduction. Kinda freaked out the audience because I sounded convincing. Shame on me. ;)

Hope you enjoy it.

http://ifr-hcag.infocusreviews.com/data/uplds/1218348915.7.mp3

And many thanks to OhioArrow for hosting this. Sure beats fighting with PutfileMaybeInThisLifetime.

• Members

I know I said I wasn't gonna do one this time, but I couldn't help but reflect upon my recent travels and how uplifting it was and I wanted to do something that expressed the positive vibes I felt. So I hurried up with some chores while the wife was out with the boys and I sat on the front porch to do a quick and dirty VOM1T.

[YOUTUBE]aAk2SWqa_CE[/YOUTUBE]

BTW, I mentioned in another thread that when I do a cover I gravitate toward one that has lyrics that strike me. In this case the first verse just seemed to fit how I felt about all the wonderful folks I've met online and sometimes later on in person. I truly feel blessed to have even met such people because my experience has unfortunately been mostly otherwise.

• Members

Summer Wine, by Lee Hazelwood

I always liked this song as recorded by Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood back in the 60s.

The first time I performed it, I was only about 13 years old - too young to know about wine, much less seduction. Kinda freaked out the audience because I sounded convincing. Shame on me.
;)

Hope you enjoy it.

http://ifr-hcag.infocusreviews.com/data/uplds/1218348915.7.mp3

Enjoy it? I loved it! I've never heard the original version but there's something haunting about your take on it. The mood it evokes kind of reminds me of Neil Diamond's "Girl You'll Be A Woman Soon."

• Members

Well, after considerable thought, I decided to have fun with this one...

A tune or tunes you should all be aquainted with....

I call this one..."Till there was misbehavin". Its pretty obvious once you listen to it....So many songs have the same chords and progressions...this one was just too obvious to me...

http://audio.xanga.com/c70man/58fc92558007/audio.html

I love how you "let your hair down" on this VOM1T take! Nice snappy tune too! :thu:

• Members

My cover of one of my favorite Neil Young songs.

First heard this song as a 10 year old child when my mother

and her friends used to play the heck out of the 1969 album

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere which was the original

electric version with Crazy Horse.

Then later as a teen I heard the solo acoustic version on the

live concert album 4 Way Street (Crosby Stills Nash & Young)

That version is what my cover is based on.

[YOUTUBE]mU3XJ1YaVJU&ap=%2526fmt%3D18[/YOUTUBE]

Note: I embedded the stereo version which sounds better

but if it won't play here's the link to the standard version:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=mU3XJ1YaVJU

• Members

Bobc: That was a beautiful song. Clean recording and loved the quality of you vocal!

Totamus: Excellent! I like the D Modal tuning too. I have several songs I play that way.

Ellen: Great song, great cover and man you had some monster rythmn going there!

C70man: WOW I've never heard those two songs put together like that. I enjoyed that a lot!

Recordingtrack1: Bravo!! Great cover of a great song!

Garthman: Great job on that Dylan song!

Samilyn: All I can say is WOW. Classic song beautifully rendered by you.

Kwakatak: LOL I know all about rushing to record something while the wife is out with the kids! Great song!!

• Members

OK, here's my contribution. I was gonna do a high quality one with my good mic, but then I wouldn't get, so I just used the PC's mics.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

BTW, it's Desperado by The Eagles, although I would hope people would get that after watching it :D

• Members

My first Vom1t submission.

This is a short tune called 'People My Age' by John Gorka, a folk singer/songwriter. It is a humorous song that some of us should be able to relate to. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=854833

I've already listened to all of the outstanding submissions ahead of mine and will comment on all of them once the vault door has closed. Kinda reminds me of Christmas morn, getting up and wondering what musical gifts are waiting the tree! :)

• Members

Totamus

Nice tune. You got a great vibe and style.

guitarist21

Loved it. Ya know, you have something special in the way you perform. I can't quite put my finger on it. It must be MOJO...:) . Nice job.

C70man

That was so cool. You have a very pleasing voice, and use it very well. Your playing is great too. Sweeeeeeeeet!

recordingtrack1

Wow. I love the effect you put on this one. Great song... Great performance.

garthman

Great job. Tha ovation sounds cool fitted with nylons too.

Samilyn

Very good job on this one. You sing and play very well.

kwakatak

I can tell that you put your heart into this one. Life is full of ups and downs, and thats what inspires songs like these. Fine job.

g6120

That was an awesome version. You consistantly show your passion for music, and I am definately a fan. AWESOME!!!

dr5euss

Very nice job on a great song.

mrmoe

You got mad skills. I have alot of props for original songs, and this one is great. Excellent job.

GoVols

I realy enjoyed that song, and you did a very nice job on it.

• Members

I've been lurking these VOM's for awhile now, but finally had enough time (and nerve) to put one together myself. First, lot's of great stuff submitted already!

My Internet connection has been a little glitchy, so I haven't heard every single submission yet, but the ones that have stuck out for me so far...

guitarist21 - very nicely done.

dr5euss - great job! You look so young to play and sing so confidently.

g6120 - I'm sure it's been said before, but you really have the Neil Young vibe nailed!

kwakatak - I really enjoyed your version. Perfect for a beautiful summer morning.

Well, here is my first crack at VOM. It's a worship song I wrote earlier this year. Recorded yesterday on my MacBook. Video via built-in iSight camera. Audio: CAD M179 mic, Martin 00CXAE guitar with Elixir strings, M-Audio Ozone interface. Video and Audio recorded with iMovie. Audio exported and edited in Logic Pro to add compression and some reverb (Space Designer).

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Archived