VOM 7 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, August 10, 2008

Stackabones

• Members

BobC - I really like your music and this one is no exception. Such a pretty song.

Totamus - Nice indeed! You never cease to amaze me.

guitarist21 - Excellent! When you're famous, I get to say "I knew her online when....." :)

C70man - I really like your voice and your playing. That was so cool.

Recordingtrack1 - One of my all time favorite songs. I love the way you did this one! Bravo!

Garthman - Wonderful rendition of a great old song. The git has a sweet quality strung with nylon. A winner!

Kwakatak - To second another post, your heart was in this one. Wonderful song.

g6120 - Yet another excellent rendition of an old favorite. Nice, Gil.

dr5euss - I liked that - again, another favorite song of mine covered nicely. :thu:

mrmoe - Wow. Wow. Wow!

GoVols - Welcome to VOM! That song made me grin. I liked it a lot and you did a great job with it.

Nascarl - I liked that one. :thu:

DigitalRelay: Welcome to VOM! Thoroughly enjoyed that and am glad you contributed it.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here is my Entry for this VOM1T:

[YOUTUBE]Qy6f6Xt4vy4[/YOUTUBE]

The name of the song is The Verdict... What Now? I put this together about a week ago. Its really effects based as you can see me using my pedals a lot. Pedals that make a showing are: Rv-3, De-7, PS-3 and my Quasar. Drum track is provided by my RC-2.

The song itself is an Original Composition and has a rather "overcoming the odds" type feel to it at some points. Other then that i dont know how to explain it. Hope you enjoy!:thu:

• Members

Here is a half-baked version of Antonio Lauro's "Natalia"

http://media.putfile.com/Natalia-44

I say half-baked because the song is written in two parts, the first part is in Em, the second part in E major......I recorded only the E major part. Very cool-sounding song and fun to play.....a lot of hemiolas (3 against 2 rhythms). Next time, I'll do the whole shebang.

Antonio Lauro was a prolific guitarist-composer from Venezuela, here is the Wikipedia blurb:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Lauro

• Members

I've been listening intently (contently, too) all morning. I have to leave for church soon, but so far I'm truly happy, pleased, entertained, etc. This is great fun.

bobc I love the song. Everything about it is good IMO. The lyrics are great but so is your performance and it sounds excellent.

totamus What can I say? You did a great job. That is a great acoustic song and I enjoyed it. Buy me another round!

Guitarist21 I really enjoy your playing. Great job!

Samilyn You left me wanting more summer wine. Your recorded guitar has a nice "growl" to it.

Kwak I'm glad you posted after all. I love the Little River Band and that is one of their best tunes IMO. You did an excellent acoustic cover of it.

g6120 I love Cowgirl. You've really hit the mark on it and I was very impressed.

dr5uess Keep going. For your age, you've got a lot of potential and I really enjoyed your song. I look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

mrmoe There ain't nothing "smaltzy" about that tune. I enjoyed it immensely and I love the sound you get.

GoVols I was very entertained by this song. Lighthearted and humorous, but also well done and cleanly recorded with a great tone. I think I'm becoming one of those people.

I know I skipped a few people here, but I'll be back later in the afternoon. I have your names written down...I KNOW who you are:cop:

RT1

• Members

So many songs to listen to and so little time to listen to them! Man, I wish I didn't have to head into work today...

My submission for the month is an original tune titled Goodbye Yesterdays.

Composed back in the Fall of 2007 this song was written as a way to help me push through some rough times I was dealing with. As I'm not much of a lyricist, it's an instrumental piece. Writing the song helped me close a long-running chapter of my life while I tried to open a new one.

Even though there are multiple layers of guitar in the song, this time around, each layer was recorded in one take in an attempt to try to keep in the spirit of the VOM.

Thanks for listening! I hope you enjoy it!

• Members

bob c: very dreamy sound.....good stuff!

totamus: great laid back groove on that one.

Ellen: nice energy in that one!

C70 man: great amalgam.....love it!!

RT1: awesome AG sound with that 'verb!!

Garthman: closed my eyes and heard Bob....

Sami: a beautiful, lush, brooding balad in E minor....and glad to see you're feelin' the music again!

Gil: nice rendition of a classic, and love the sound of that low-tuned guitar!

dr5euss: 12-string goodness on one of my all-time faves....nice job!

mrmoe: great everything....as always! and I particularly like your strong driving rhythm guitar work.

GoVols: tasty finger-pickin'! and the lyrics on that one made me LOL!! :D

Nascarl: what else can be said, but RAWK!!!!!!!!!

digital relay: very heartfelt tune, nice work!

frankie J: groooooooooovey! and I really like the chord changes. those F/X boxes are really inspiring, aren't they?

Fussen Kuh: excellent......Keep on Komposing!! :D

• Members

Haven't listened to any yet; I recorded this morning then went to church - just got back. I'll post then listen. Cranberries Zombie with Martin D12X1 and homemade mic to Audacity on laptop.

http://www.box.net/shared/hml1xcnk6s

I did it a second time with my Taylor 110 six string to see which I liked better, but the 12 string was the 1st take.

http://www.box.net/shared/vgs6xdocaf

Scott O

• Members

Alrighty, I've gotten a chance to listen to a good chunk of what's been posted thus far and, once again, I've been quite impressed with the number of contributions and play styles. Even seeing some electric work thrown into the mix was a nice treat!

bobc - That's one beautiful poem turned song. Great work!

Totamus - Quality playing as always. It's a joy to listen to your tunes!

guitarist21 - Welcome back to the VOM! As I've said about your other Folds tunes, I'm not a big fan of his work, but I've always enjoyed your renditions of the songs. This rendition is no exception :)

C70man - Nice song introduction and playing :thu: And, thanks for pointing out Xanga in an earlier thread. I think that's where I'll be posting all of my audio-only recordings in the future.

recordingtrack1 - Well done! I can't say I was familiar with the tune, but I loved the guitar work in it!

garthman - Can't get silly putfile to play at work... I'll have to give it a listen when I get home

Samilyn - Grrrrrr! Couldn't get this one to play either... and it looks like it's just a standard MP3! Stupid work computer. Oh well, just more for me to listen to at home :)

kwakatak - Nice work kwak! I'm glad you were inspired to share.

g6120 - I love your Young covers :thu: There's just something that's been clicking between me and Neil's guitar styling lately.

dr5euss - I never was much of an Eagles fan, but I'd say this was a rather nice rendition of Desperado. Great work!

mrmoe - Another great submission. Quality playing and singing as usual :thu:

GoVols - LOL... great lyrics and great job job covering it

NASCARL - Nice song you got there. And, I do believe it marks the 1st electric (and full band) submission to the VOM.

DigitalRelay - Thanks for conquering your nerves and finding time to contribute :) Well played!

frankiej - A lot of pedals indeed ;) Congrats on being (I believe) the 2nd electric submission to the VOM. The tune sounds very nice. Thanks for sharing!

riffmeister - See comment about garthman's submission above

happy-man - Both versions were great acoustic renditions of the only Cranberries song that I know. However, my vote goes to the 12 string version

Queequeg - See comment about garthman's submission above

• Members

Well, at the tail end of some renovations here -- painting and new carpet,

which has entailed a few days of moving furniture out and in of rooms. On a

short break before two bedroom suites need to be moved back in. Just tried

to pick up my guitar and my forearms and fingers are so tired and beat up I

simply can't play (heck, I can barely type this right now).:cry:

But, as a slight bending of guidelines, I submit a recording I made for a

previous VOM1T, but then recorded and submitted something else. Here is

a two song medley of O'Carolan tunes, played in Drop-D on my Larrivee.

http://www.siaris.net/music/ocarolan.mp3

Enjoy,

andrew

• Members

OK, I'm going to try this again.

This is "City Of New Orleans" by Steve Goodman.

http://www.supload.com/music/Sangemon-City-Of-New-Orleans-ringtone-download-X7C743RB7YR5.html

I've been playing for about 4 or 5 months now, and I feel pretty good about where I am. I'm able to play songs with barre chords now, but my chord changes are still a bit sluggish when I use them, so I will admit to a couple of little edits in this to tighten up a couple of those slow changes. Otherwise this is one take. I've spared you the sound of me singing on this one.

Oh, and this is the HD-28 and a pair of AKG 451 mics.

• Members

Can't hear any of the putfiles :confused: I've tried several times, so no comments yet on garthman, riffmeister and Queequeg.

bobc - Nice. Dreamy.

Totamus - This is great Sunday afternoon listening. Thank you.

guitarist21 - I enjoyed this. Not familiar with Ben Folds, but I'm going to look into it.

C70man - Very nice. Great job of making a smooth transition of your foible in the beginning. I'm afraid I would have started the take over (made it a VOM2T). This gives a real open mic feel to this event, and you went on with a great preformance.

recordingtrack1 - Nice job. Hadn't heard that one. I did my favorite anti-war song.

Samilyn - Nice. Dreamy and sultry.

kwakatak - Good job. Nice goatee.

g6120 - Bravo.

dr5euss - Good job. Why is it that the accent goes away when a brit sings?

mrmoe - Really nice. Smooth.

GoVols - I'm 46 and enjoyed that.

NASCARL - Electric band? Welcome to the acoustic open mic. Don't take this as harsh, but try an acoustic VOM1T next time.

DigitalRelay - Sounds great.

frankiej - Another electric one. I have to say I really enjoyed that.

FussenKuh - Very nice! My favorite so far of the day.

daklander - Nice job.

Scott O

• Members

I gave up on putfile - at least for this VOM.....haven't been able to upload a thing there for several days.....try garageband.com and supload.com

Ohio Arrow will host your submission. Mine uploaded fast and easy.

Read these brief instructions.

Clink the link below. Once the screen comes up, click "browse" for your file.

Then click "submit" and it'll begin to upload.

Once you have the code in a box at the bottom, copy and paste it here to post your VOM. The code will begin with "http......"

NOTE: Only accepts mp3, wma and wmv files. No zips, etc.

Here's the link: http://ifr-hcag.infocusreviews.com/index.php?mode=submit

• Members

Ohio Arrow will host your submission. Mine uploaded fast and easy.

Read these brief instructions.

Clink the link below. Once the screen comes up, click "browse" for your file.

Then click "submit" and it'll begin to upload.

Once you have the code in a box at the bottom, copy and paste it here to post your VOM. The code will begin with "http......"

NOTE: Only accepts mp3, wma and wmv files. No zips, etc.

Here's the link:

Tried that. Didn't work. Kept saying "Wrong file type". I was trying to upload an mp3. Computers...gotta love 'em.

I put mine up on Supload. That worked fast and easy.

• Members

NASCARL
- Electric band? Welcome to the acoustic open mic. Don't take this as harsh, but try an acoustic VOM1T next time.

This is NOT an acoustic-only VOM. :cop:

All are welcome: electric and acoustic, solo and group. Though it is held in HCAG, I don't think VOM is meant to exclude electric instruments or bands. Even following VOM1T is really up to the VOMer. ;)

:wave:

• Members

This is
NOT
an
acoustic-only
VOM.
:cop:

All are welcome: electric and acoustic, solo and group. Though it is held in HCAG, I don't think VOM is meant to exclude electric instruments or bands. Even following VOM1T is really up to the VOMer.
;)

:wave:

We did some softer acoustic/electric stuff...I'll try and find it to post....maybe that will be OK with him.

• Members

Tried that. Didn't work. Kept saying "Wrong file type". I was trying to upload an mp3. Computers...gotta love 'em.

I put mine up on Supload. That worked fast and easy.

????? Go figure. Worked great for me. Glad supload worked for ya.

Archived