need an acoustic guitar

Rumble Bass

• Members

for around $600-$700. Will be played by a novice player. A friend of mine asked me to look into for him. I play electric and know little about acoustics. Please help.

Look no further than The Epiphone Masterbuilt

I have played both is one and the Rosewood back and side one.

I like the feel the Mahogany one is nice, but mahogany doesn't have the crisp top end like rosewood, they normally don't have the bass either as they tend to be more mid range in tone. Great guitar here. You'll have 100 bucks over for a hard shell case

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-EF500R-Fingerstyle-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519061

I'll tell you what, if you order this, please tell me you love this guitar and will have it for the next 30 years. I don't own it, but have played it and it's lovely. I own a few Martins, but wouldn't mind owning this Epihone myself.

Later

PM me if you decade to grab it or give us an update.

• Members

Look no further than The Epiphone Masterbuilt

I have played both is one and the Rosewood back and side one.

I like the feel the Mahogany one is nice, but mahogany doesn't have the crisp top end like rosewood, they normally don't have the bass either as they tend to be more mid range in tone. Great guitar here. You'll have 100 bucks over for a hard shell case

Why is it called a fingerstyle guitar?

• Members

How about something like this?

That Martin looks really nice. It has the narrower 1 11/16 neck which is what most people who use a pick choose. I have smaller fingers and my Martin with 1 11/16 is do-able for fingerstyle as well as pick.

The wider neck does make fingerstyle easier though.

With that in mind, if your friend plays mostly with a pick, I would say go with the Martin.

• Members

That Martin's a great guitar. It's an exclusive model to MF/GC and is basically a mix between a 15 and 16 series Martin. May be a little overkill for a novice player unless they plan on playing for a long time (this is probably not something you'd want to recommend for someone "trying out" guitar).

• Members

Alvarez, epiphone, seagull and yamaha. Check em all out.

+1 Your best bet is to have your friend play as many guitars in this price range, then decide. The brands Max, Kimona and Mikeo have recommended make superb guitars in your friends price range. But neck size, string spacing, tonewoods, guitar size, and how the guitar sounds should figure into what guitar he ultimately purchases. Most beginning acoustic guitar players buy a dreadnought in-part because dreads disportionally make up a guitar store inventory. Your friend may find he prefers the size/sound of an OM or a Grand Auditorium. For references purposes, here's what M.F. offers in the $500.00 - $700.00 range. I would take a look at Blueridge, Guild, and Taylor as well. Good luck.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/acoustic-guitars?N=100001+304276+11

• Members

If you are looking for a low cost, versatile instrument, you should check out the Seagull S6 Original:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-The-Original-S6-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512120

I was helping a new player choose an instrument and this one really stood out compared to some of the other low cost instruments (including the Yamahas). I liked it so much, I ended up getting one myself.

The nice thing about it is that the wider neck allows me to work on both classical and flat picking styles. I find myself leaving the classical on the stand and just keeping the Seagull in my lap when moving from my Mel Bay book over to my Charles Duncan book.

• Members

Rumble Bass...one advice I think is worth giving seeing the thread's contents so far is not to worry TOO much about what is a fingerstyle guitar, a flatpicking guitar, etc. Those things are really not that big deal, and honestly, a good quality guitar is a good quality guitar no matter what, and its far more important to try and find something which sounds nice than to find something that on paper that fits your style perfectly. Both because a novice is likely to change style and experiment, and because, honestly, most guitars can do any style pretty darn well.

I second the idea of not spending that much immediatly, and investing in a good Yamaha. Personally, I think a well chosen cheap

Yamaha is a GREAT guitar to begin on. But if your friend is set on getting a slightly more expensive guitar, then really, every single one of the options above are valid. As I am sure you know, even a novice will have prefences in shape, size, and sound, so nothing works better then trying them out.

While a lot of people complain about stores around them not carrying high end stuff, almost any decent guitar store will carry a nice selection of low end models.You might not find all the aforementioned brands but that doesn't mean you won't find something worthy of your friend's cash.

• Members

simplygood has said it well. an acoustic that sounds good to your ears is the most important. that way you end up with your own tone. picking a good brand is important too. for 700, you could end up with a great guitar that'll last a lifetime.

yamaha, alvarez, and epiphone are all great choices, but different tonewise. the yamaha and alvarezs have bright flavors with a full bass end (most of em). the epiphone has a very balanced tone. great for classic tones. so find a shape that's comfortable and then find a tone that works for your style.

acoustic guitar shopping doesn't work online.

Archived