Let's start a movement.

Dan Hall

• Members

Easy enough to point to a problem. It's the solution that needs some thought. How about petitioning the mods to hide them? Same goes for join date. Then everyone would be vanilla.

Hey, my post count never stopped anyone from picking a fight with me. Even from know-it-alls who were in the wrong.

I think if a member uses their own postcount as though it gives them some kind of clout or upperhand in a discussion, it'd definately signify a problem on their part.

• Members

Hey, my post count never stopped anyone from picking a fight with me. Even from know-it-alls who were in the wrong.

I think if a member uses their own postcount as though it gives them some kind of clout or upperhand in a discussion, it'd definately signify a problem on
their
part.

Aaaand my turn:

I absolutely unequivocally agree with you in one "regard" and that is that your post count doesn't equal your IQ score nor your musical prowess. Nor your "value" as a human being.

But it does signify a certain "continuity" and dedication in a public "space". I'll give you a more personal "take" on the matter, which I touched upon in Dan H's recent thread:

Say I post a thread. Now if somebody with a post count of 10, or alternatively 10000 but who never frequents the AG, suddenly decides to "walk in" on my thread and doesn't really "know" me and decides to question my "motives" and my "morals" and my "man-liness" without knowing my previous history, writing style, etc. then that's when the post count does matter.

Some guys just drop by for a one-time visit, attack a regular and then disappear into thin air.

Now that's not right. That's when it's not fun....

• Members
Look at the typical post count of regulars in, say, Open Jam, or Political Party. That speaks volumes to me about the value of post counts.
:freak:

But that's precisely my point.

"Continuity" means a different thing there as opposed to here. If you swear -and I'm not saying they all do- and talk about the topics they do "over there" then that's the kind of behavior that's "tolerated" over there.

If I'm allowed to "wax poetic" here and none of the regulars jumps on my case, well then it shows the kind of "readership" we have here.....

• Members

C'mon "Sweb", surely you don't mean that......

Well, maybe understanding The do3-man well enough to post a response to his threads might be exemplary. Really, think about it a second. This whole forum isn't but a gear-topical exchange and with a focus on that purpose I know just enough to qualify being here. Contributing to that focus is a whole other thing. You want to talk about contributions off-topic or otherwise transcending gear-talk vs on-topic vs post count and I'm (evidently) just here to babble away for the most part. I've recently discovered this to be called blogging.

• Members

Anonymity. 'Round here if you want to you can be a snide {censored}, and get away with it, because you can run and hide afterwards. Or you can go the other way, and be a sweetheart/excellent citizen. Drink it all in, pour rounds for the assembled crowd. Love and goodness abounds, though it might not (and maybe because it doesn't) in the non-virtual realm...and again you get away with it, because you can run and hide afterwards.

Or, you can be a uniquely beloved character. Because you are wise, avuncular, hot, acerbic, weird, clever, forthright, guileless, generous, are unusually honest, or have good hair. Or maybe because you're just...cool.

I don't think join date means a lot. I joined and then didn't come back for about three years. Post totals matter, I guess. That indicates belongingness and relationships, assuming the posts are AG posts.

• Members

Anonymity. 'Round here if you want to you can be a snide {censored}, and get away with it, because you can run and hide afterwards. Or you can go the other way, and be a sweetheart/excellent citizen. Drink it all in, pour rounds for the assembled crowd. Love and goodness abounds, though it might not (and maybe because it doesn't) in the non-virtual realm...and again you get away with it, because you can run and hide afterwards.

Or, you can be a uniquely beloved character. Because you are wise, avuncular, hot, acerbic, weird, clever, forthright, guileless, generous, are unusually honest, or
have good hair.
Or maybe because you're just...cool.

I don't think join date means a lot. I joined and then didn't come back for about three years. Post totals matter, I guess. That indicates belongingness and relationships, assuming the posts are AG posts.

This proves my point.

• Members

Aaaand my turn:

I absolutely unequivocally agree with you in one "regard" and that is that your post count doesn't equal your IQ score nor your musical prowess. Nor your "value" as a human being.

But it does signify a certain "continuity" and dedication in a public "space". I'll give you a more personal "take" on the matter, which I touched upon in Dan H's recent thread:

Say I post a thread. Now if somebody with a post count of 10, or alternatively 10000 but who never frequents the AG, suddenly decides to "walk in" on my thread and doesn't really "know" me and decides to question my "motives" and my "morals" and my "man-liness" without knowing my previous history, writing style, etc. then that's when the post count does matter.

Some guys just drop by for a one-time visit, attack a regular and then disappear into thin air.

Now that's not right. That's when it's not fun....

Ohhh, I don't know about that !

• Members

Or, you can be a uniquely beloved character. Because you are wise, avuncular, hot, acerbic, weird, clever, forthright, guileless, generous, are unusually honest, or have good hair. Or maybe because you're just...cool.

Fabulous. He's gotta talking about me.

Is it ok if I start using the word "fabulous" often? I find I keep saying "fabulous" everytime I play another of my fabulous guitars. Especialy the new one(s). Fabulous, just fabulous...and then he whips out yet another fabulous guitar...

Sorry...btttah.

Anyway. d03, I agree. Continuity says something. And I thought of it earlier, however after eating lunch the blood leaves my brain in order to help with digestion and...fabulous, just fabulous.

..yet another absolutely fabulous guitar...

• Members

Pretty scary around the automobile manufacturing sector these days. Can't imagine the mood of those folks right now is a sociable one. Hud has a stiff upper lip but he just might be scrambling/negotiating/juggling a lot of things right now. I think about him.

• Members

Some of us are still around from back in the day.......Back when LittleBrother was Moderator.
Oh say 2000 or there abouts, there was a time when there were some gliches in the system and had to re-log back in because of one problem or another, like me. But that's OK ! I don't care myself, if I have a high post number or not.

I have seen a lot of people come and go over the years. Post count is not all it is cracked up to be.

• Members

Pretty scary around the automobile manufacturing sector these days. Can't imagine the mood of those folks right now is a sociable one. Hud has a stiff upper lip but he just might be scrambling/negotiating/juggling a lot of things right now. I think about him.

I hadn't thought of that. That's a good point. He's probably really busy, but at least he's not working at/for GM. IIRC he's at Ford.

Archived