Question about Capos

kimona

• Members

I want to buy a capo, but I'm not sure which model to buy.

I'm looking at the Dunlop Trigger capo. It's available in a "curved" or "flat" model for about $15.

http://www.music123.com/Dunlop-Trigger-Curved-Guitar-Capo-361506-i1130196.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Dunlop-Trigger-Flat-Guitar-Capo-361505-i1130193.Music123

Which one fits my acoustics; for example, the Yamahas? I believe they have a flatter neck than say the Epiphones which are rounder or more v-shaped. So, does this mean I need to get the flat model?

• Members

I've got a dunlop trigger works great never any issues.

Has anyone used one of these for any length of time

I've thought about getting one for a few yrs, the engineering behind it is intriguing, never have to worry about where it is. Nobody stocks them where I've been.

I don't know about this thing, it seems to me that even though it's storing over the but that if it's a little off it will kill the tune and possibly mute strings a little.

• Members

I don't know about this thing, it seems to me that even though it's storing over the but that if it's a little off it will kill the tune and possibly mute strings a little.

I tried one of those, it worked fine as long as it was placed behind a fret, stored past the nut, it created tension on the strings making the guitar sharp...

• Members

The Dunlop is good. But I think you will find that the Shubb is less likely to get in your way - it has a very small profile.

True. I have a Shubb and bought it for that reason, as well as the fact that since it's adjustable you can set it so it frets the strings gently but firmly, meaning it doesn't affect tuning and you can leave it on for a while without However, its main advantage is also its flaw; as a springless capo, you can't just clamp it to the headstock like a trigger or other spring-loaded capo. So where do you keep it where it's secured but you can still get to it easily? I still haven't found the perfect answer.

The Dunlop trigger capo's a good one, but I like the adjustability of newer designs. Have a look at this one: Planet Waves Dual Action Capo

486688.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't find it in stock at local GCs.

• Members

True. I have a Shubb and bought it for that reason, as well as the fact that since it's adjustable you can set it so it frets the strings gently but firmly, meaning it doesn't affect tuning and you can leave it on for a while without However, its main advantage is also its flaw; as a springless capo, you can't just clamp it to the headstock like a trigger or other spring-loaded capo. So where do you keep it where it's secured but you can still get to it easily? I still haven't found the perfect answer.

I just hang mine on the top of my music stand, hanging off the back.

-A

• Members

I want to buy a capo, but I'm not sure which model to buy. Which one fits my acoustics; for example, the Yamahas? I believe they have a flatter neck than say the Epiphones which are rounder or more v-shaped. So, does this mean I need to get the flat model?

Gary had it right--I think you are describing the shape of the back of the neck when you describe the difference between Epis and Yamahas. The back shape doesn't really matter. The curved capo is curving on the front (fretboard) side of the neck. Since classicals have flat fretboards, the capo for them is also flat.

So, if you're not playing a classical, any curved-type capo will do. Capos are like guitars: different people prefer different brands/styles--you just have to try them. I used the old sucky elastic type years ago, and found the spring-lever type vastly superior. And then I used Dunlop trigger-type for a while, because I didn't like how Kysers stuck up in the air. But then I found it was much easier to operate a Kyser than a Dunlop because of how your hand is oriented...so now I am Kyserite. And they come in pretty colors!

KGC1-PINK.jpg

• Members

Gary had it right--I think you are describing the shape of the
back
of the neck when you describe the difference between Epis and Yamahas. The back shape doesn't really matter. The curved capo is curving on the
front
(fretboard) side of the neck. Since classicals have flat fretboards, the capo for them is also flat.

So, if you're not playing a classical, any curved-type capo will do. Capos are like guitars: different people prefer different brands/styles--you just have to try them. I used the old sucky elastic type years ago, and found the spring-lever type vastly superior. And then I used Dunlop trigger-type for a while, because I didn't like how Kysers stuck up in the air. But then I found it was much easier to operate a Kyser than a Dunlop because of how your hand is oriented...so now I am Kyserite. And they come in pretty colors!

KGC1-PINK.jpg

It suits you !

• Members

I've got a dunlop trigger works great never any issues.

Has anyone used one of these for any length of time

http://www.glidercapo.com/

I've thought about getting one for a few yrs, the engineering behind it is intriguing, never have to worry about where it is. Nobody stocks them where I've been.

My wife gave me one of those as a gift. I don't use it. I'd rather have a Kyser. Like someone else said, if you roll it above the nut, it pulls the strings sharp. So it is harder to take on and off.

I have a planet waves NS. It's a nice capo. But I find that lately I've been reaching more for the old Kyser. It's just so easy. Mine is black. ;)

Scott O

• Members

back
of the neck when you describe the difference between Epis and Yamahas. The back shape doesn't really matter. The curved capo is curving on the
front
(fretboard) side of the neck. Since classicals have flat fretboards, the capo for them is also flat.

KGC1-PINK.jpg

Bought a couple of those Susan Komen Kysers when they first came out...gave one to my daughter and the other one is around here somewhere...

A very good cause to support! :thu:

• Members

back
front

KGC1-PINK.jpg

That thing lookth stho right for me. But, I'm holding out for polka dots.

Looking at it I'd swear you could flip it into a half-capo.

• Members

shirt-pocket.jpg

Archived