Question about Capos

kimona

• Members

Thanks for the support Baba!

Incidentally we got to holiday in New Hampshire two years ago, stayed in Dover (which is where I bought my Taylor and my wife bought her Ibanez Talman!) and swam a lot in Winnipesaukee (cold but fun!). Saw baseball in Manchester, water slides at Water Country and fell in love with Portsmouth! Lovely place all around, want to go back!

• Members

Thanks for the support Baba!

Incidentally we got to holiday in New Hampshire two years ago, stayed in Dover (which is where I bought my Taylor and my wife bought her Ibanez Talman!) and swam a lot in Winnipesaukee (cold but fun!). Saw baseball in Manchester, water slides at Water Country and fell in love with Portsmouth! Lovely place all around, want to go back!

Portsmouth is a lovely town. If you come back you really should visit the White Mountains. And if you have time, a ride up the coast of Maine to Wiscassett, Boothbay Harbor, Pemaquid Point and Popham Beach will leave you with wonderful memories.

• Members

Dang two (2) pages about stinkin Capos....All ya need is a number two (2) pencil and a big ole fat rubber band............Wa'~La ya got a Capo dat will fit anything and no-one will want to steel it.........

Now for the next help section; we will include bailing wire and duct-tape

Ole' Skool is so Kool ~"be there or be square"~ we don't need no stinkin sto' bot stuff

• Members

Dang two (2) pages about stinkin Capos....All ya need is a number two (2) pencil and a big ole fat rubber band............Wa'~La ya got a Capo dat will fit anything and no-one will want to steel it.........

Now for the next help section; we will include bailing wire and duct-tape

Ole' Skool is so Kool ~"be there or be square"~ we don't need no stinkin sto' bot stuff

I have found that the more dense #3 pencil provides much better innotation. I mean really, why bother with bone saddles if you're gonna hamstring yourself with a #2 capo?

:lol:

• Members

Maybe you should look into the Glider, be pretty difficult to lose it.

If ya don't mind the springs rubbing up and down your neck and scrapping the finish off that expensive guitar......Yea the Gliders are the way to go :poke:

• Members

I have found that the more dense #3 pencil provides much better innotation. I mean really, why bother with bone saddles if you're gonna hamstring yourself with a #2 capo?

:lol:

Gator! I can understand the #3 living over there in Florida. With all the moisture and humidity and such a #2 would get waterlogged mo-easily'r.

I also found that the #3 gives better sustain than the #2 all on account of the density's of the wood, or should I say mass of the wood and weight of the lead.

• Members

To the original poster: I have 2 Kyser classical capos, and they have worked on EVERY guitar that I have played, acoustic and electric. Hey, if it works right? And if you own a steel string capo, it will not be large enough for a classical in the future should you choose so...

• Members

+1 on the Shubb recommendation!
:thu:

Buy
this one
and you won't regret it. :poke:

Best capo I've ever bought.
:love:

Wow! Ball bearing! Everythings' going ball bearing these days. (ancient joke)

Pretty cool, actually. I have the flat, curved and half-capo Shubbs. I used to use the Dunlop that was basically a Shubb without the lever. It was a little lower in profile over the top. Wore it out. The Shubbs are great though. I'm sure the Kysers are just fine. I just like something that doesn't protrude like them.

I was told by a couple electric players that capos are for sissies. Is that true?

• Members
Wow! Ball bearing! Everythings' going ball bearing these days. (ancient joke)

Pretty cool, actually. I have the flat, curved and half-capo Shubbs. I used to use the Dunlop that was basically a Shubb without the lever. It was a little lower in profile over the top. Wore it out. The Shubbs are great though. I'm sure the Kysers are just fine. I just like something that doesn't protrude like them.

I was told by a couple electric players that capos are for sissies. Is that true?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is true.

• Members

I was told by a couple electric players that capos are for sissies. Is that true?

Yes, that is true.

That is a very general statement. The capo CHANGES the way you play a passage. It allows you to use STANDARD chords and play them as you would at the nut, including the fills associated with those chords. That is not a matter of weakness, but an intellectual choice.

Let me give you an analogy: My neighbor is chopping some wood with an axe, but he is able to do it with ONE HAND. So he must be very strong right? No, he just uses good technique, and a very sharp blade.

• Members

I have a Kyser, a couple Dunlop triggers and a Shubb. However, after getting one of these, I prefer it over the others :

Light, unobtrusive and you can dial in just enough pressure to avoid buzzes without risk of pulling strings out of tune.

+1

I bought one a month ago. Have not used my Kyser since.

• Members

That is a very general statement. The capo CHANGES the way you play a passage. It allows you to use STANDARD chords and play them as you would at the nut, including the fills associated with those chords. That is not a matter of weakness, but an intellectual choice.

Let me give you an analogy: My neighbor is chopping some wood with an axe, but he is able to do it with ONE HAND. So he must be very strong right? No, he just uses good technique, and a very sharp blade.

I was just having some fun on that one Sumpm1. Of course, capos have their place and everyone who used one is not a weak sissy. Hell I got to use one every once in a while too but I try to avoid them as much as possible. By the way, I'm still trying to figure out your analogy re chopping wood with one hand.

Archived