...so I got a call from my aunt

kwakatak

• Members

She heard from my mom that I play guitar and chat with people on teh Interwebz. Turns out that she's looking to buy my 40-something year-old cousin an acoustic guitar to help ease his stress and wanted some advice. I asked her how much she'd be willing to spend? $200. She'd been looking at a guitar at Costco. :facepalm:

I told her to get him a Yamaha FG730S. :wave:

• Members

True, but in my mind I was thinking "get him a Martin." She seemed pretty firm about just spending $200 and the FG730S is above her budget though. :(

IMO my cuz is worth it. He was the one who inspired me to learn to play when I was a kid during the late 70s - he was getting girls with his playing.

• Members

I have no idea if he knows anything about or has even ever owned an acoustic 6 string guitar. Back in the 70s he played bass in a high school band that was heavily influenced by the progressive rock of the day: Rush, Yes, etc. When he inspired me to play it was with his efforts to woo girls with his hammer dulcimer. :phil:

BTW, Cripes. What's with the dixie cup avatar?

• Members

...and a Larrivee owner's club as well! :cop:

FWIW. my cousin has plenty of toys. IIRC he just bought another motorcycle. I don't think he's played the bass or dulcimer in years, though. He's been really busy with work and preoccupied by financial matters that I won't go into here. My aunt has been saying that he's been stressed out and figured that he needed to get back to basics.

• Members

She heard from my mom that I play guitar and chat with people on teh Interwebz. Turns out that she's looking to buy my 40-something year-old cousin an acoustic guitar to help ease his stress and wanted some advice. I asked her how much she'd be willing to spend? $200. She'd been looking at a guitar at Costco.
:facepalm:

I told her to get him a Yamaha FG730S.
:wave:

Believe it or not, the Costco, Columbia Crest, guitars aren't all that bad. Supposedly solid tops on a lam body.

Some Costcos also handle some Yamaha and Suzuki guitars so, yeah, I'd have a look at something from them for a gift at the prices they charge, after all, they do have a pretty liberal return policy.

Archived