Guitars and elevator small talk

liko

• Members

OK, I have a day job (no way my playing would make enough to keep me afloat financially). I have practice this evening, no time to go home after work, and because it's been on the chilly side the past few days I decided to bring my acoustic into the building. I'm getting into the elevator, and someone just HAS to make an attempt at humor. "Ah, the band's here!" "Planning on playing a few for us during lunch break?" :facepalm: I replied "Well, since you offered, sure. I charge $100 per set for solo acoustic gigs, payment in advance".

I know everyone here's had a similar experience. So, share it; what gems of elevator small talk have you endured when you'd much rather have smacked the idiocy out of them (or at least done a "here's your sign")?

• Members

Why is it that some people feel awkward carrying a guitar case? I have to admit, sometimes I do.

Is it the wierd looks you get from other people? The smirks, the smiles?

I could never figure out why I should feel somewhat embarrased. I don't mind carrying my guitar into a guitar shop, so why should I feel embarrassed carrying it somewhere else....like in an office or an elevator.

If I see someone carrying an instrument, I usually just nod in approval, and if the response is good, I might even ask what they have in the case. But when its me, I somehow feel different.

How about the rest of you. Any fears? I guess I don't feel comfortable just breaking out the guitar and playing for just anyone. Kinda silly I guess.

• Members

I too feel a little shy or awkward carrying my guitar and I guess it has to do with what people might say. I love to play for people, but I have the fear that they don't want to hear me, so I'm not so inclined to break out the guitar for just anyone.

Having said that, I have played many times, in my younger days, on the beaches of So. Cal., but I wasn't by myself, so I didn't feel "different". It's beng alone that brings on the shy feelings.

No silly comments to recall though.

• Members

I don't ride the elevator with it, but I sometimes walk in or out of the building with my guitar. Any comments have always been positive--maybe because I've been playing weekly in the atrium since back in the spring. No lame comments to report--

But now that you mention it, it's true that carrying a guitar around makes me feel different. Not uncomfortable, and not "cool" exactly--it's like I'm revealing something about myself that a stranger wouldn't normally perceive. And everybody tends to look, because it's an odd thing to carry around.

• Members

Way back in the dark ages when I worked a 9-5 job, I often took my git with me to noodle around on during my lunch hour. The office would empty out and I'd sit at my desk, nibble my brown-bag lunch and play.

One day I just happened to turn around and discovered several co-workers standing in the doorway. They said they really liked hearing me play, but didn't want to come in and disturb me.

That turned into a regular lunch jam. Several co-workers also played, so brought their gits too. We moved to the conference room and had a great lunch hour.

What was really cool was when the company CEO paid a visit to our branch. Somebody had told him about our jams and he asked if he could sit in. We said "sure." (Like what else you gonna say? LOL)

Afterward he told us that it was the most relaxing lunch hour he'd had in years. :thu:

• Members

Way back in the dark ages when I worked a 9-5 job, I often took my git with me to noodle around on during my lunch hour. The office would empty out and I'd sit at my desk, nibble my brown-bag lunch and play.

One day I just happened to turn around and discovered several co-workers standing in the doorway. They said they really liked hearing me play, but didn't want to come in and disturb me.

That turned into a regular lunch jam. Several co-workers also played, so brought their gits too. We moved to the conference room and had a great lunch hour.

What was really cool was when the company CEO paid a visit to our branch. Somebody had told him about our jams and he asked if he could sit in. We said "sure." (Like what else you gonna say? LOL)

Afterward he told us that it was the most relaxing lunch hour he'd had in years.
:thu:

What a great story. Mike and I have had a similar response here in my building. So many people who I don't even know have said "we love hearing the music at lunchtime". It's a wonder that nobody ever did it before.

I think a more perfect world would be one in which you'd encounter musicians performing just for the hell of it practically everywhere you went.

• Members

Carrying any instrument around can spark some interesting conversations with some interesting people. I've spent more than a few train rides talking to people who either I approached or vice versa because one of us spotted an instrument. Sometimes its just music lovers, sometimes musicians, sometimes someone who is neither but is just looking for an excuse to pass the time with some conversation. And yeah, it can be annoying. But people generally don't approach you if you are looking grumpy and like you aren't in the mood.

I guess the closest thing to a story I have happened to me in Zambia, this summer. I was in a small town called, serenje, walking down the one and only street. My guitar case handle had torn off, so I was carrying this big massive leader coated thing on my shoulder. A small crowd of children gathered to point and laugh at the funny "mozungo" that I was. I don't blame them. It was pretty funny.

Archived